Thoughts on Valerie?

Due in 9 weeks and pretty torn on a name. I have a daughter [name_f]Iris[/name_f] already and like old fashioned type names that are minimal frills and the elusive not too common but not unheard of balance. I feel like I’ve searched and seen so many of the names that fit this criteria but I dont really love any of them and my husband doesnt even like most of them (and he has similar taste in names)

Names we have considered and he doesn’t like:
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Meave[/name_f]

So now im looking for some advice! We both like two names: [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Valerie[/name_f].

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] we both really like probably the most but are having a very hard time getting over the thought of it as used in a medical context to refer to some type of bacteria: ie “gut flora”…:-?

[name_f]Valerie[/name_f] has been on my list from the start and while it seems to be declining in popularity I’m not sure why (whereas [name_f]Iris[/name_f] has gained popularity since we chose it for our daughter 4 years ago) as to me it seems similar to [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], which is super popular right now, in sound and feel. But maybe it doesn’t have a “classic” enough feel? Sometimes it feels more like a 60s preppy type name to me that women in their 50s now have, like [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] or [name_f]Linda[/name_f] or something, but other times I think its beautiful and classic!

Anyway I’d love some advice on your thoughts on both the names I like but my husband doesn’t, and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Valerie[/name_f]!! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like them, what is their “feel” to you, do you understand my issues with them or am I just crazy???

Thank you!!!

I love [name_f]Valerie[/name_f], on its own and as a sister to [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. The “v” sound is popular now so I too have been puzzled by its decline. I think it is associated with a previous generous but it was never super-popular like [name_f]Linda[/name_f] or [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] so for me that wouldn’t be a concern. I think [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] is very wearable in 2019. My hesitation about [name_f]Flora[/name_f] would be establishing a kind of botanical them, but again that wouldn’t be a deal breaker. I really love [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] for you.

I agree with pp! But I am baised about [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] since it is one of my favourite names. I also do not understand why [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] is not more popular. I guess some peeps do indeed associate it with a previous generation but I agree it was never super popular so it is not a deal breaker for me. If anything I associate [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] with a vintage vibe but also as a [name_m]French[/name_m] classic name - best of both world. I also like [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] together since they share a lot of the same ‘feel’ for me. I also like [name_f]Flora[/name_f] with [name_f]Iris[/name_f] but as pp pointed out it would be a bit of a botanical theme. So I really like [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] is a sister name for [name_f]Iris[/name_f]!

Perhaps I’m no help because I really love both names. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is beautiful and I don’t care that it’s used in medical terms at all. My husband always turned down the name [name_f]Iris[/name_f] because it’s a part of an eyeball… I’m not saying that to insult [name_f]Iris[/name_f] in anyway. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is a lovely name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] illustrating that, every name has some issue if you’re really going to nitpick. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] was one of our top names if baby #3 would have been a girl.
I love the name [name_f]Valerie[/name_f]. I know 3, 1 in my generation, 2 in my parents generation. My guess is people aren’t using it simply because they associate the name with someone in their lives already. It’s dated. But I don’t think it has a dated sound and I would be delighted to meet a young [name_f]Valerie[/name_f].

Both [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] are beautiful names, but I think I prefer [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] for you. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is gaining in popularity, while [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] has been steady for many years now. It has the “v” sound and the “-ie” ending that make it sound current, but it has lots of history: It’s a saint name and has been used for many, many years. A bonus: [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] has an excellent meaning, and a strong yet ethereal feel.

I agree with this - except I like the botanical theme. I do like the sound of [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] more than [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. If you wish to moderize [name_f]Valerie[/name_f], perhaps Vallon / Vallen, [name_f]Avalon[/name_f], [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f], [name_f]Valda[/name_f], [name_u]Vale[/name_u], [name_f]Valene[/name_f], [name_f]Valentia[/name_f], [name_f]Valley[/name_f], [name_m]Vallis[/name_m], [name_f]Valla[/name_f]. I don’t think you will love any of these as much as [name_f]Valerie[/name_f], though.

It’s been decently popular in states with a lot of Hispanics for a while, so if you live in a heavily Hispanic area, I don’t think it’ll be perceived as old fashioned or unusual.

I think [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] is a perfectly fine name. With [name_f]Iris[/name_f] I really love [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] for some reason, or [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] though. [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is so cute and so is [name_f]Mercy[/name_f].

I heard [name_f]Valeria[/name_f] recently and it feels like it has more flare. I slightly prefer it over [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] if that appeals?

I like [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] - both somewhat underused where I am. [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] brings to mind [name_m]George[/name_m] R R [name_m]Martin[/name_m]'s ‘[name_u]Val[/name_u]’, the unofficial queen beyond the wall, who has this big, thick, long braid, so I see her a feminine yet viking.

I may be biased because it was my beloved grandma’s name, but I think [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] is lovely. It’s got a strong, sweet, distinctive sound and a great meaning too. My grandma’s middle name was [name_f]Irene[/name_f], so to me [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] flow perfectly together. An unexpected but very cohesive vintage sister set.

I also adore [name_f]Flora[/name_f] (it’s on my own shortlist for my baby girl, due today!) but I think I prefer [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] with [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] I love as well, but I’d personally prefer to avoid two names starting with the same letter. However, the sounds are very different so if that doesn’t bother you, it feels like a lovely choice.

[name_f]Meave[/name_f] (did you mean [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]?) is a very chic, strong name. I really like it and it’s also a great match for streamlined yet traditional [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. I’m not a fan of the altered spelling, however, and I’m guessing these last two are basically out of the running if your husband isn’t keen.

A few more ideas:

[name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]/[name_f]Cecile[/name_f]
[name_f]Vita[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Valerie[/name_f]. I’d love to use it myself if only [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] doesn’t rank so high on my list. [name_f]Valerie[/name_f]'s beautiful, strong and sweet. Familiar yet somehow so underused. I’d love to meet little [name_f]Valerie[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

Another vote for [name_f]Valerie[/name_f]!

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] is gorgeous, but I don’t like how you’d then have a general category ([name_f]Flora[/name_f]) then a species ([name_f]Iris[/name_f]). Plus they’re the same syllables and not good matchy.

[name_f]Valerie[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] complement each other so well and to me are both blue-purple hued names (I’m sure most people see names as colours right?). [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] choice! Plus, the last [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] I met was a thoroughly cool person.

[name_f]Valerie[/name_f] still feels very dated and like it doesn’t belong on a child but rather a 45 year old woman.

I like [name_f]Valerie[/name_f]. It’s my sister’s name (she’s 28, for context) and it suits here. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] seems to be more popular with babies now, and might appear more trendy, along with [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. Go with your gut!

I love the name [name_f]Valerie[/name_f], on its own and as especially as a sister to [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. I much prefer it to [name_f]Flora[/name_f] (though I live in the UK, where [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is a popular brand of vegetable spread… ).

Best of luck!