Thoughts on Wiley?

I have mixed feelings. I love that it is Scottish and means “resolute protector,” and it shares sounds with [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] (one of my favorites that I can’t use). On the other hand, it sounds like someone saying [name_u]Riley[/name_u] with a speech impediment. Thoughts?

2 Likes

I love it but can’t use it!

1 Like

Hmm, this is difficult. I used to have it on my list, and I still think it’s fun, but the “people will confuse it for Riley” thing and the Wile E. [name_m]Coyote[/name_m] association made me rethink it. If frequently correcting people who misheard it as [name_u]Riley[/name_u] would bother you, I’d say avoid it, but if not, go for it, it’s adorable!

2 Likes

I love it! It reminds me of a fresher version of [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u] more than it reminds me of [name_u]Riley[/name_u] for some reason. I met a little boy named [name_u]Wiley[/name_u] (or [name_u]Wylie[/name_u], I’m not sure, I only ever heard them say it) and he was so sweet and every time I heard them say it my heart would just be so happy. It’s one of those names that just sounds warm and nice to me.

2 Likes

I think it’s sweet.

However, if you’re always hearing ‘Riley with a speech impediment,’ that might be hard to unhear, which would make it a challenging name to give to your child.

3 Likes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the name [name_u]Wiley[/name_u] - vintage, surname, old west cowboy feel, plus the ‘resolute protection’ meaning. The name of our eldest son, joining younger brothers, [name_u]Brooks[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u].

1 Like

It does have a cool meaning and i like the similarity to [name_u]Wesley[/name_u], however, it reminds me of the words wily, wiry and whiny

3 Likes

Reminds me of the British rapper but other than that I’m not crazy about it, it looks like W1lly x

2 Likes

Here are my associations in order of “strength”:

1. The publishing company
  2. [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] from the show Sex Education
  3. The rapper (negative association unfortunately)

I don’t think it sounds like [name_u]Riley[/name_u] at all, I just personally don’t really like the name. It sounds a bit lazy to me if you know what I mean. I think it’s the two long vowel sounds but I’m not sure. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a personal preference, I don’t think it’s a terrible name or anything.

1 Like

i think wiley is awesome! with wesley, wyatt, and riley being common, i think that wiley would feel familiar but also very fresh and unique. i’ve never even thought that it might sound like someone is trying to say riley. to me it is it’s own name entirely! i knew a wiley in college, and he was a cool, sporty guy, and i always loved that his name was wiley. it somehow sounds athletic, cowboy-ish, and cottagecore all at the same time, so i think it could work really well on a boy/man, regardless of his specific characteristics/personality.

1 Like

It’d be great as a nickname for [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] or [name_u]William[/name_u] (a stretch, I know).

I agree with PP: Alone, it sounds like the adjective “wily,” which has negative connotations (“the wiles of the devil”).

1 Like

Agree with so much above. Would be seen as [name_m]Willy[/name_m] and heard as [name_u]Riley[/name_u] I think.
Would make a cool nickname though!

I love [name_u]Wiley[/name_u]! Also love the spelling [name_u]Wylie[/name_u]. [name_u]Wilkie[/name_u] might be a nice alternative if you can’t get over the Riley-sounding-ness