Thoughts on Willow and a middle name that would work

We are expecting our third baby in [name_u]December[/name_u] and I think we are finally getting close to choosing a name. My husband has decided that he loves the name [name_f]Willow[/name_f]. I really like it but I am not 100% sure. I keep thinking is it just the name of a tree? Is naming my baby [name_f]Willow[/name_f] any different from naming her [name_u]Elm[/name_u] or [name_f]Maple[/name_f] or poplar? [name_f]Willow[/name_f] does bring back childhood memories of my grandma’s house (loved playing in her huge yard with a weeping willow in it)
Also, is it too popular?
[name_m]Will[/name_m] people end up calling her [name_m]Will[/name_m]? We do NOT want people to call her [name_m]Will[/name_m].
If we go with [name_f]Willow[/name_f], what would be a good middle name? I would love to name her after my grandmother but her name is [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] and I’m not too crazy about the name…

Edited for privacy.

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f]. It is on my list.

Something very flowy would work wonderfully with [name_f]Willow[/name_f].

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Danielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Willow[/name_f], but if it feels too naturey for you, you might consider [name_f]Willa[/name_f], similar sound but get’s rid of the ‘tree’ feeling.

I would consider something classic for a middle…

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]

Thank you for your input! I think I am feeling more sure of [name_f]Willow[/name_f] but we are still having trouble with a middle name. My grandmother does not have a middle name and neither does my mom. We used my mother in law’s middle name for our daughter.
I feel like a middle name should mean something so I’m not sure where to go from here…

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is lovely! But if you want a middle with meaning how about a name that begins with H after [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]? Or something connected to your Mom’s first name or your family name?

I love [name_f]Willow[/name_f]. Its my top name for a future daughter.

Maybe a middle with some of the same sounds as [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]… My first thought is [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_u]Hilary[/name_u] or [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]. Or some of the same sounds as your mother’s name.

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] is a great name! I have only ever met one person with this name in my whole life, so I don’t think it is all that popular.

I think [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] works, not that many people will even use her MN so if you really want to honor family, that’s the route I’d go.

I absolutely love the name [name_f]Willow[/name_f]!! I don’t know if [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] works very well because of the will-hill sound, but it could work. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any close friends, aunts, cousins, or siblings’ names that you could take for middles? Best of luck!

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] is breathtaking, and if [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] holds a lot of significance for you I’d use that. Always reminds me of [name_f]Willow[/name_f] from [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] the Vampire Slayer, who is awesome :slight_smile: I think you can avoid [name_m]Will[/name_m] unless she wants to be called that.

What about your name, your middle, or your maiden are as a middle name?

Otherwise, use an H name to honor a [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_u]Harper[/name_u]

Thanks everyone. I think I have been through just about all of the possible family names. My husband says he likes [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] the best but I think it’s because he knows how amazing and strong my grandma is! We aren’t ones to use middle names much so I think we will go with that.

I really like the name [name_f]Willow[/name_f]. A [name_f]Willow[/name_f] tree is one of the worlds strongest trees, it can withstand just about anything, it bends but doesn’t often break. So maybe thinking of the name in those terms may help you see it as more than just a tree. As far as people calling her [name_m]Will[/name_m], as long as you make it a point to not let people call her that they won’t. If you would like, you could give her a middle name that can be used as a nickname.

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] is a lovely name
What about a name with the same/similar meaning as [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] for the middle?
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] means ‘battle woman’ so…
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - battle-mighty
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]/[name_f]Ottoline[/name_f] - prosperous in battle
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] - battle mighty
[name_f]Valda[/name_f] - battle heroine
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - prosperous in war
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] - renowned warrior
[name_f]Marcheline[/name_f] - warrior
[name_f]Martine[/name_f]/[name_f]Martina[/name_f] - warlike

Or something to honour the fact that she is amazing and strong?
[name_f]Adira[/name_f] - strong
[name_f]Briana[/name_f] - strong, virtuous, noble
[name_f]Valentina[/name_f] - healthy, strong
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]/[name_f]Audrina[/name_f] - noble strength
[name_f]Brigid[/name_f]/[name_f]Brigitte[/name_f] - strength, power

I like
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Marcheline[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Adira[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Audrina[/name_f]