Thoughts?

Hi berries! I know someone who wants to name their baby [name_u]Cricket[/name_u]. No offense to anyone named this or who likes the name, because it’s just personal preference, but I really don’t like it. It sounds too “insect-y” to me and I word worry she’d be discriminated against on job applications, etc. What are your thoughts? Also, if you have any names of a similar feel but a little less “radical,” I’d love to hear them.
Thanks,

Rowena [name_f]Chiara[/name_f]

I think [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] can be a nickname for [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Christine[/name_f].
I’ve only ever met one woman with the name but it honestly didn’t seem that weird at the time. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Hey, I didn’t realize my comment violated community standards — I’m sorry about that! I will be more careful with my words going forward.

4 Likes

I like how the name sounds but it’s not professional and I prefer it on a guy.

1 Like

I appreciate your opinions!

1 Like

I definetaly think it would be better as a nickname for a more formal name that could be used for applications, job interviews etc.

1 Like

I personally don’t like the name at all. I agree it’s “insect-y” and I think it’s rather akward-sounding. I’ve even known a very wonderful girl with the name, but it didn’t change my opinion of it. I don’t even like it as a nickname, it’s just very unattractive to me.

If your friend likes word/nature names, there a so many great alternatives imo!

1 Like

It’s one of my guilty pleasures along with [name_f]Bunny[/name_f]!
I just think it sounds really fun and adventurous, and you get the nn ‘[name_u]Kit[/name_u]’. Sadly, not only is it the name of an insect, but also the name of a sport, so I suppose it’ll just have to stay as a name for one of my sims instead of a real child.

Honestly, I dont think its right for anyone to be discriminated against because of their name, if I was looking at job applications and I saw a ‘[name_u]Cricket[/name_u]’ I definitely wouldn’t assume anything, or let that impact my judgement on the person.
Although, I do know we are still living in a world that has alot of these biases around names, and not everyone feels the same way. I do think [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] may face a bit of judgement in the workforce, although just the thought of it makes me sick. No one deserves to be judged by a name :confused:

2 Likes

I couldn’t have said it better myself @gracegillian! I love [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] for its quirkiness and it’s a guilty pleasure like [name_f]Bunny[/name_f] and [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], but can see why it’s a no go for people! I think if paired with another first name or a well established middle name? I personally don’t see a problem with [name_u]Cricket[/name_u], I know people named [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f], and even babies being named [name_u]Wolf[/name_u], so why not [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] that sounds more formal?

1 Like

Insect-y and sporty.

I’d lump it in with football (soccer) and rugby as ‘sports middle aged men watch down the pub’ but I know that’s more of a commonwealth thing.

1 Like

I think it’s cute. [name_f]My[/name_f] taste can be at the outer realms of socially acceptable and I like brave choices. I always remember that what is viewed as ‘normal’ is specific to the cultural norms of particular places and times. 100 years from now there could be a [name_m]President[/name_m] [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] :heart:

2 Likes

Cricket reminds me of the sport

1 Like

yeah i dont like it . its quite weird and to me just doesnt feel like an actual name

1 Like

I think [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] fits in with the animal names that are becoming popular such as [name_u]Fox[/name_u], [name_f]Otter[/name_f] and [name_m]Bear[/name_m]. Personally I wouldn’t name my child an animal name but I can definitely see the appeal and I think [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] can definitely work. [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] would also make a cute middle name something like [name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] would be sweet.

1 Like

May be an aspirational name in terms of the sport, but it personally just reminds of the bug.

1 Like

I think it’s adorable. :blush: Sure, it’s a little out there, but I also find it very outdoorsy & endearing. At least it’s an actual word. In this world where people are naming their babies [name_u]Kyler[/name_u], [name_m]Zayden[/name_m], [name_u]Bryley[/name_u], etc, I don’t see why [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] would be unusable.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cricket is adorable, but only as a nn. Sorry, but I just don’t see it aging well as a standalone name. The nice thing, though, is that it can really be a pet name the parents use, no matter what they use as a formal name.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem usable, and it doesn’t sound like a name to me. It’s just not a very flattering animal to be named after…

2 Likes

I’m sorry I really don’t like the name. It’s too wordy for me. I can’t imagine an adult named Cricket as their real name.
I slightly prefer Cricket for a boy but only slightly.

If I met someone named Cricket, I would probably like it better because it would seem more realistic.

1 Like

Cricket doesn’t seem like a name to me. It would be a cute family nickname, but doesn’t seem like something that belongs on a birth certificate.

1 Like