Thoughts?

We’ve had a list of names we like for months now, but still haven’t been able to settle on anything. We know we want the middle name to be [name_u]Jude[/name_u] after my partner’s grandmother, but since our surname (Read) is also one syllable, its hard to find a first name that flows. The names we are liking the most are:
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u] (maybe full name Theodore)
[name_u]Remy[/name_u] (not sure if this works with our surname with the repeated RE, REmy REad)
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_u]Levi[/name_u]

I’m not sure I like the look of [name_u]Theo[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u], [name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] & [name_u]Levi[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] as each name has the same number of letters and i feel like its odd and a bit choppy. But at the same time I feel like I’m just overthinking it and it doesn’t matter. Then when it comes to [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] & [name_u]Arden[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] i think there are too many d’s, so that makes me hesitant to use either of them. We both love [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] apart from the popularity of [name_u]Oliver[/name_u].

To make the middle name longer, we are considering [name_m]Judah[/name_m], but we don’t actually like the name, whereas we both really like [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. I don’t hate [name_m]Judah[/name_m], it’s just not my favourite and i do much prefer [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. We are also considering having 2 middle names, but I myself have 2 middle names and it can be annoying sometimes so i would rather avoid that.

What are your thoughts on the flow of each of these names? We are open to other first name suggestions if you have any, but we will most likely be sticking to one of the names we already have.

You have a great list! The flow question is tricky to me here because all of your first name options seem to work well with [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and with Read–to me it’s [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_u]Read[/name_u] that feel a little choppy next to each other. I absolutely still think you should use Jude–it’s meaningful to you, you love it, and how often will all three names really be said together anyway?–I just think it might help to let go of the idea of flow a little bit.

From your list, I love [name_u]Oliver[/name_u]. It’s gentle yet strong, and just plain fun to say. It gives me a very warm, happy, friendly vibe. And if flow is a concern, I like that it balances out the two one-syllable names with something a bit longer. I also love the more fluid “r” and “l” sounds next to the stronger “d” sounds of [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_u]Read[/name_u]. [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] is popular for good reason–it’s a great name! And it sounds like it’s also the name you have the least hesitations about beside popularity, so I especially love it for you for that reason :yellow_heart: I think my second pick would be [name_u]Theo[/name_u] (I prefer just Theo!) or [name_u]Remy[/name_u] (I actually kind of like the alliteration).

I think you need a longer first name for the flow. Something with two or more syllables. I think [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] works. [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is just a little tricky before [name_u]Read[/name_u]. I vote for [name_u]Oliver[/name_u]!

1 Like

I think [name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] is just perfect and not too choppy at all. [name_u]Remy[/name_u] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and some of my absolutely favourite boys’ names so it’s not surprising I adore this combo.

And I really don’t think there’s an issue with using [name_u]Remy[/name_u] and [name_u]Read[/name_u] together - I love the alliteration and the different ‘e’ sounds distinguish them from each other more than enough.

All of your choices are lovely though so I don’t think you can go wrong.

A couple of other ideas for you:

[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]
[name_u]Atlas[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Bastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]
[name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Oskar[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_u]Finnegan[/name_u]
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucian[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilbur[/name_m]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u]

I understand your concerns; flow is very important for me too. I think ____ [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Read[/name_m] is substantial enough if you pair it with a longer first name. [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Read[/name_m] sounds great and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Read[/name_m] would as well.

Some other suggestions:
[name_m]Callum[/name_m]
[name_m]Patrick[/name_m]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_u]Curtis[/name_u]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]

I really like [name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] :slight_smile:

I agree that [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_u]Read[/name_u] together is a bit choppy, but [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] are okay in terms of flow. I’d perhaps avoid [name_u]Arden[/name_u] as ArDen JuDe ReaD is quite ‘D’ heavy!

You could break [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_u]Read[/name_u] up with a second middle name, but given your shortlist of names, there’s nothing there that has a particularly better flow anyway!

[name_u]Levi[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u]
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Read[/name_u]

Theodore/Theo (Jude) Read, because

1 Like

Another vote for [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] here, as its 3 syllables work so well with your chosen middle and last name. I hear you on the hesitation over popularity. Would one of these work for you: [name_m]Octavio[/name_m], [name_m]Octavian[/name_m], [name_m]Octavius[/name_m]?

I don’t think you shoild change [name_u]Jude[/name_u] to [name_m]Judah[/name_m] because you love [name_u]Jude[/name_u] more and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is a more direct honor name. I don’t think a second middle name is needed.

I think all of your options from your list are good. The flow isn’t perfect but not too bad either.

If you’re always going to call him [name_u]Theo[/name_u], I would just use [name_u]Theo[/name_u] as the full name, not [name_m]Theodore[/name_m].
I don’t think all those d’s in [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] or [name_u]Arden[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] are a problem. I actually even like them.
[name_u]Theo[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u], [name_u]Levi[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] and [name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] look fine to me even though all names have the same amount of letters.

[name_f]My[/name_f] thoughts are the same as @sarahelaine and others and also think focussing on the first name with the last name will get you to a name you love. The only one that does not work as well is [name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u] but the others are great, especially [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] [name_u]Read[/name_u].