Three months until our first is here -- Help!!

Our first LO is due three months from today. We have decided on [name]Walter[/name] or [name]Dexter[/name] if it’s a boy, but we’re struggling to narrow our list of girl names to a final two. What do you think of these?

[name]Abigail[/name] “[name]Abby[/name]”
[name]Calliope[/name] “[name]Callie[/name]”
[name]Carly[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] “[name]Callie[/name]”
[name]Margaret[/name] “[name]Maggie[/name]”

Our last name ends with the “ah” sound.

I love your boy names!
I really like [name]Abigail[/name]. Second choice is [name]Caroline[/name].

I love [name]Walter[/name]!

1. [name]Margaret[/name]
  2. [name]Caroline[/name]
  3. [name]Abigail[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you have a middle name picked out? That could help narrow down your options. Otherwise, you can combine two for a first and middle: [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] would be really pretty.

1 [name]Margaret[/name] (love [name]Margaret[/name] - such a sweet, underappreciated classic!) and [name]Maggie[/name] is sweet
2 [name]Caroline[/name] (personally don’t have good experiences with Carolines, but I think the nickname [name]Callie[/name] or [name]Calla[/name] is divine)
3 [name]Abigail[/name] (a little overused but used to be my favorite name ever when I was little)

p.s. love [name]Walter[/name] and [name]Dexter[/name]!

[name]Abigail[/name] “[name]Abby[/name]” - [name]Abigail[/name] is lovely but very popular, which is fine, but for me it looses some of its appeal.
[name]Calliope[/name] “[name]Callie[/name]” - A little out there for me. A lot of people, especially young children, might have a hard time with the pronunciation.
[name]Carly[/name] - I like [name]Carly[/name], but it seems a little nicknamy.
[name]Caroline[/name] “[name]Callie[/name]” - I love [name]Caroline[/name]. Classic and pretty. [name]Callie[/name] or [name]Carly[/name] would probably work well as nn. This is my favorite on your list.
[name]Margaret[/name] “[name]Maggie[/name]” - I like [name]Margaret[/name], but prefer the french version [name]Marguerite[/name]. Either way it is lovely, and [name]Maggie[/name] is great! My second favorite on your list.

I vote for [name]Caroline[/name]! It’s a classic, but not too popular. And I just love [name]Callie[/name] and [name]Calla[/name] as nicknames. To me, [name]Carly[/name] is a nickname for [name]Caroline[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name] and it lacks the sophistication of your other name choices. My second choice would be [name]Calliope[/name], mainly because it’s so unique and beautiful. [name]Abigail[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] are more popular classics that I think I’ve become a little desensitized to.

[name]Caroline[/name]-with nickname [name]Carly[/name] is my fave choice.
Then [name]Margaret[/name] “[name]Maggie[/name]”
[name]Calliope[/name] I wouldn’t know how to prounounce and [name]Abigail[/name] is just a tad too popular.

[name]Margaret[/name] & [name]Caroline[/name] both seem to fit well with your boys choices.

Not 100%, but we would like to use [name]Jayne[/name] (maternal grandmother) if it fits with our first name choice.

[name]Hi[/name], welcome to Nameberry. Your taste in boys names ([name]Walter[/name] and [name]Dexter[/name]) have a vintage vibe so I would stick with a girls name in a similar style.

1 [name]Margaret[/name]
2 [name]Abigail[/name]
3 [name]Caroline[/name]

[name]Abigail[/name] - I’m not a fan of this name, it reminds me of [name]Abigail[/name] from the Crucible, and I know for pretty much every name there will be a character/person with that name and usually that doesn’t bother me but this kind of does. And I’ve never met a nice [name]Abby[/name]/[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] - I really like this name, I am interested to know how you pronounce it though, I personally prefer the [name]Callie[/name]-oh-pea pronunciation. But it is still cute either way. I think it’s nice and fresh, and if people have trouble with how to say it they can always go with [name]Calla[/name] or [name]Callie[/name].
[name]Carly[/name] - Too much of a nickname.
[name]Caroline[/name] - I’m a bit indifferent to this name, I know a lot of people like it but it’s just not really to my taste.
[name]Margaret[/name] - This is a bit of an old-lady name for me, the youngest [name]Margaret[/name] I know is at least 60. I love the nn [name]Maggie[/name] but I would use [name]Magnolia[/name] which I love.

We definitely like the vintage vibe. We worry about pronunciation problems with [name]Calliope[/name] (Cah-lie-oh-pee) and [name]Caroline[/name] ([name]Caro[/name]-lynn). I guess we could spell it [name]Carolyn[/name], but we don’t like that as much. We are also worried about people using the nickname [name]Peggy[/name] for [name]Margaret[/name]–a name we absolutely hate. [name]Do[/name] you think our concerns are valid?

I agree with mischa (and you!) that a vintage vibe would go best with [name]Walter[/name] and [name]Dexter[/name]. My original picks for you would be 1. [name]Margaret[/name], 2. [name]Caroline[/name], and 3. [name]Abigail[/name]. I think [name]Calliope[/name] would go really well with [name]Dexter[/name], though: both quirky, fun choices.

As for your concerns…yes, I think you will encounter pronunciation problems with both [name]Calliope[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name]. With [name]Calliope[/name], it’ll be because it is underused and doesn’t look intuitive. (However, the [name]Grey[/name]'s Anatomy character has helped with the pronunciation for some people, I think). [name]Caroline[/name] will be pronounced Care-oh-line 99% of the time; moreover, you not only risk people mispronouncing it the way you want it said, but also arguing that you’re wrong in your pronunciation… If you want “[name]Caro[/name]-lynn,” I would spell it [name]Carolyn[/name]. Sorry!

In better news, I seriously doubt that anyone will call a [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Peggy[/name] these days. It’s such a vintage “Mad Men” nickname that you’d have to start it yourself for anyone to use it. [name]Maggie[/name] is the accepted go-to nickname for [name]Margaret[/name] these days (that’s what all the Margarets I know go by). If you wanted something a little different, you could also use [name]Margo[/name], [name]Meg[/name]/[name]Meggie[/name], [name]Gretta[/name], [name]Etta[/name], [name]Maret[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], etc. but [name]Maggie[/name] is quite sweet.

So my picks for you would now be: 1. [name]Margaret[/name] (still love it), [name]Abigail[/name] (though I think it’s a little worn), and [name]Calliope[/name] (pronunciation issues withstanding, I still like it!).

[name]Abigail[/name] “[name]Abby[/name]”— [name]Abby[/name] feels so popular… [name]Abigail[/name] would be a little different.
[name]Calliope[/name] “[name]Callie[/name]”-- I like [name]Callie[/name], I would never have thought to use [name]Calliope[/name], I would just have used [name]Callie[/name].
[name]Carly[/name]— Feels dated to me, maybe [name]Carly[/name] [name]Rae[/name] Jepson will bring it back… I prefer [name]Callie[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] “[name]Callie[/name]”-- I love [name]Caroline[/name], or [name]Carolina[/name], but I wouldn’t plan on [name]Callie[/name] as a nn. It’s a little bit of a stretch for me
[name]Margaret[/name] “[name]Maggie[/name]”-- I never liked [name]Margaret[/name], but the name [name]Magnolia[/name] is really growing on me and would be another way to get to [name]Maggie[/name]

[name]Walter[/name] is fabulous! I like [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] best.

I love [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name]. [name]Callie[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name] are sweet nns too :slight_smile:

[name]Abigail[/name] “[name]Abby[/name]”- Really like this with [name]Walter[/name]/[name]Dexter[/name], even though it’s popular. Very sweet.
[name]Calliope[/name] “[name]Callie[/name]”- This reminds me of Greys Anatomy, but it’s still cute.
[name]Carly[/name]- Doesn’t fit with [name]Dexter[/name]/[name]Walter[/name], and it feels like it’d be dated in a few years. Plus my sister described it as “[name]Carl[/name] with a y tacked on”
[name]Caroline[/name] “[name]Callie[/name]”- [name]Caroline[/name] has really grown on me, but I feel like there are cuter nicknames to be found.
[name]Margaret[/name] “[name]Maggie[/name]”- Really like [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Maggie[/name] is cute.

My choice for you would be [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Jayne[/name] or [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Jayne[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are stunning, especially with [name]Walter[/name]/[name]Dexter[/name].
[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

[name]Caroline[/name], then [name]Calliope[/name].

Their all nice choices. [name]Carly[/name] could be a nn for [name]Caroline[/name] also, since you have [name]Carly[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] on your list.

[name]Walter[/name] and [name]Dexter[/name] are excellent choices. As for the girls, [name]Margaret[/name] gets my vote! It has a wonderful sound and the nn [name]Maggie[/name] is just too cute to pass up.