Three weeks out and nowhere near decided!

My two boys are [name]Finnegan[/name] [name]Lewis[/name] ([name]Finn[/name]) and [name]Gideon[/name] [name]Owen[/name]. I realize I have already gone a bit overboard with the -n endings and need to stay away from such names from now on, even though they always appeal to me. Our last name is one syllable and ends in -ock, so, that eliminates anything like [name]Luke[/name] or [name]Brock[/name]. It is also a common noun, so no color names or adjective sound-alikes such as [name]Harry[/name]. We are Orthodox Christians, so it would be really nice to have at least one saint name, (which is proving easier for boys than for girls) but it is not absolutely necessary.

Girls:
[name]Ellery[/name] [name]Katharine[/name] ([name]Elle[/name]) I am not a fan of [name]Ellery[/name] but love [name]Elle[/name] as a nn [name]Katherine[/name] is always perfect

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] A very nice combo.

[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Katharine[/name] ([name]Ruby[/name] [name]Kate[/name]) Prefer the nn over the full name combo

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Magdalene[/name] No to [name]Magdalene[/name]

[name]Greta[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Greta[/name] is pretty

[name]Adela[/name] [name]Katharine[/name] I prefer [name]Adele[/name].

[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Frances[/name] ([name]Nell[/name]) Not a fan of [name]Penelope[/name] or [name]Frances[/name] but like the nn of [name]Nell[/name]

Other names I like but haven’t matched up yet:

[name]Estella[/name], A pretty name but prefer [name]Estelle[/name]

[name]Anais[/name], Too unusual for me

[name]Esme[/name], [name]Agnes[/name], [name]Iris[/name] Of these three names [name]Esme[/name] would be my pick. [name]Agnes[/name] is harsh sounding, and [name]Iris[/name] is too old fashioned for me I wouldn’t use.

Boys:
[name]Malachy[/name] [name]Moses[/name] One of my peeves is names that start with [name]Mal[/name], which of course is French for Bad, so I would never use it.

[name]Ephraim[/name] Ananais No to this combo

[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Jared[/name] [name]LOVE[/name].

[name]Arlo[/name] Not substantial enough for me

[name]Milo[/name] My pick would be [name]Miles[/name]

[name]Amos[/name] better than [name]Moses[/name]

[name]Abbott[/name] Reminds me of a Friar [name]Tuck[/name] like character

[name]Ambrose[/name] An old saint

[name]Ignatius[/name] Same as above

[name]Theodore[/name] Stately name, love [name]Theo[/name]

To summarise

The names that I like from your list are:

[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Amos[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] is my pick of the girls names

[name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Kate[/name] at No 1 too.

[name]Ephraim[/name] is pronouned eff-ray-m, at least the few times I’ve heard it here in [name]England[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Ellery[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]! I think [name]Ellery[/name] is so pretty saying it out loud!

Of the Girls’ names you mentioned:
*I prefer: [name]ANAIS[/name], [name]ESME[/name], [name]ELLERY[/name]. Also love: [name]MAGDALENE[/name] (but as a FIRST name), and [name]NELL[/name] (as a full name, and not a nickname for [name]Penelope[/name])
*[name]Love[/name] 'em, but watch out, they’re getting quite popular: [name]ISLA[/name], [name]RUBY[/name], [name]WILLA[/name]

Other ideas for girls:
*If you like the name [name]Isla[/name], but are worried it may become too popular, what about [name]EILIDH[/name] (an Irish name, pronounced “EYE-lee”), which would go with the Celtic-sounding names of your two boys.

Of the Boys’ names you mentioned:
*[name]Love[/name]: [name]MALACHY[/name]. [name]MOSES[/name] is cute, too, as a middle name
*[name]Love[/name], but getting quite popular: [name]THEO[/name] (not [name]Theodore[/name])

Good luck!

Eff-ray-m sounds nice. In [name]CA[/name] where I live, people say EE-fray-um, I think…maybe some say EE-free-um. But the name hardly ever gets pronounced because there are few occasions to mention it.

[name]Ellery[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] is very pretty!

I think I love [name]Anais[/name] now. Wow it only took a few days to fall in love with it.

[name]Anais[/name] is beautiful!

I actually [name]LOVE[/name] Eiley, though I didn’t know the Irish spelling. It was originally very high on my list, especially as I had a dream about a little girl named Eiley. However, my husband has never taken much of a liking to it.

Anyway, I’m actually in labor RIGHT NOW, and still don’t have a boys name picked out. We’re pretty sure it’s [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Frances[/name] for a girl but will decide for sure after s/he’s here. I’m all ears for more boys suggestions. We’re looking for something not too masculine, not too preppy. [name]Kinda[/name] soft and sweet as boys names go, but still strong, ya know? Boy, that’s clear as mud, isn’t it?

I tried to come up with a few:

[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Pascal[/name]
[name]Aram[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]/[name]Ned[/name]
[name]Quincy[/name]
[name]Jarvis[/name]
[name]Holden[/name]
[name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Benson[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]August[/name]

Sorry for any repeats!

Wow! Good luck!

Some more ideas (also sorry for repeats):
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Robin[/name]
[name]Barnabas[/name]
[name]Adrian[/name]
[name]Eamonn[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Dermot[/name]
[name]Linus[/name] (see today’s blog)
[name]Clement[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Maurice[/name]
[name]Christian[/name]

Soft, sweet but masculine, not too preppy:
[name]Archer[/name] nn [name]Archie[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Edwin[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Julian[/name] nn [name]Jules[/name]
[name]Miles[/name] - the perfect name!
[name]Nicholas[/name] nn [name]Cole[/name], [name]Colin[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Peter[/name] - is [name]Peter[/name] too preppy? Maybe to some people it seems preppy. Not to me. I think of a rabbit.
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Trevor[/name]
[name]Vance[/name]
I’m sure there are repeats here. My fave for your description is [name]Miles[/name].

When I opened this thread & read the original post, I thought to myself, “Holy crap! She’s probably in labor RIGHT NOW!” Well waddaya know!

I also thought that if I am as far along as you are & we still haven’t decided, I’ll wait & let the baby decide. Who does s/he look like? I thought it would be a pretty cool situation in which to be!

Congratulations & Namaste!!
FUGITIVE

Oh, good luck! And, as you’ll probably read this after the birth, congratulations on your new little bundle of joy!

I think [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is just the most gorgeous name, and I’m so glad you decided to probably go with it!

I love, love, love [name]Amos[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Theo[/name] that you mentioned (just gorgeous).
Also, maybe [name]Solomon[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Peter[/name] or [name]Jacob[/name]?

Let us know what you decided!

Oh my gosh! In labor right now?! A wish for you that all goes smoothly.

Re: more ideas for boys’ names: I echo justthinkin’s ideas of [name]PASCAL[/name], [name]SOLOMON[/name], and [name]TOBIAS[/name].

A couple more that might fit what you’re looking for:
[name]TAJ[/name]
[name]LIEV[/name]
[name]SHIA[/name]
[name]ELIJAH[/name] (super popular, though)
[name]LEVI[/name] (bet it’s going to BE popular soon enough)
[name]REMI[/name]
[name]ASHER[/name] (getting popular as well)
[name]RONAN[/name]
[name]EAMON[/name] (pronounced AY-mon)
[name]RAPHAEL[/name] (has the great nicknames of [name]Raffi[/name] and [name]Rafe[/name], too!)
[name]EVER[/name]
[name]MATEO[/name]
[name]ROAN[/name]
[name]KIER[/name] (pronounced KEE-er)
[name]SHAY[/name]
[name]WYN[/name]

To my ears these all sound soft without being overly feminine. Please let us know what you decided upon!

Thanks, all! Fortunately, all that stress about a boy’s name was unnecessary, as we were blessed with a beautiful baby girl!! And she’s definitely a [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Frances[/name]! We had a couple of back-up names, but as soon as I saw her, I just knew [name]Penelope[/name] was it!

Congratulations!!! [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is just absolutely beautiful, as I am sure everyone will agree. Yay!! :slight_smile:

Another Yay!! Congratulations, and welcome to the world [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Frances[/name]!

Congratulations!

[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is such a beautiful name - I can tell she’s going to be gorgeous :smiley:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Frances[/name], it is just the best! Congratulations!