Tillie or Tilly?

See the results of this poll: Which Spelling?

Respondents: 58 (This poll is closed)

• Tillie : 22 (38%)
  • Tilly: 36 (62%)

I slightly prefer [name_f]Tillie[/name_f]. I don’t really know why, but it reminded me of tulips while [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] is really not my style.

[name_f]Tilly[/name_f]. I find -ie endings very cutesy.

well if it’s a nickname…isn’t it supposed to be cutesy? LOL It doesn’t change the sound at all…

[name_f]Tilly[/name_f] looks more like a ‘proper name’ [name_f]IMO[/name_f], [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] more nickname-ish.

I very slightly prefer [name_f]Tillie[/name_f]…I think. lol

I agree with this.

I also agree with this. I think of [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] as a cutesy nickname while [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] seems more appropriate for a birth certificate.

[name_f]Tilly[/name_f] just looks cleaner to me, the -illi- in names like [name_f]Tillie[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_f]Lillie[/name_f] is quite difficult to read sometimes.

Its weird, I like [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] with a -y, but [name_f]Millie[/name_f] with -ie.

I’m so glad you’ve made this thread because I wondered what people think about it, too!:wink:

I can never decide which spelling I prefer, but today I like [name_f]Tilly[/name_f]. I agree with @essjay, it just looks cleaner.

I prefer the look of [name_f]Tillie[/name_f]. It just looks more balanced to me.

I prefer [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] as the only [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] I know uses this spelling of the nickname.

I voted for the -ie spelling, as it feels more feminine to me.

I definitely prefer the Tilllie spelling- [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] looks too close to “silly”, whereas [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] looks more like a full name to me.

I voted for tilly, I just like the way it looks better!

[name_f]Tillie[/name_f] looks more like a full name to me, while [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] looks like a nickname.
Same with [name_f]Millie[/name_f]/[name_f]Milly[/name_f], [name_f]Emmie[/name_f]/[name_f]Emmy[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]/[name_f]Elly[/name_f], etc.

Thanks everyone, haha I think I prefer [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] myself if it’s a standalone name :slight_smile:

I wasn’t sure which to vote, but I decided that I preferred the [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] version as a nickname, [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] as a full name. So I voted for [name_f]Tillie[/name_f], because in general I prefer names ending in ie than y. That made no sense, but whatever. [name_m]Both[/name_m] are good. However you spell it, it’s a really cute name!

I prefer the [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] spelling which is weird since I prefer [name_f]Millie[/name_f] to [name_f]Milly[/name_f]. :wink: