Tilly vs. Matilda nn Tilly

See the results of this poll: Tilly vs. Matilda nn Tilly

Respondents: 19 (This poll is closed)

• Tilly: 4 (21%)
  • Matilda: 14 (74%)
  • Something else (please post): 1 (5%)

[name]Tilly[/name] looks and sounds like a nickname to me so I think you should choose [name]Matilda[/name] (an an antique gem) and call her [name]Tilly[/name]. [name]Tilly[/name] as a name for a little girl is cute but when she gets older, she can choose the original. She also has the option of choosing [name]Tilda[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Sebastian[/name]. Great choices. Good luck!

Does anyone have input on general impressions of either name?

Anyone at all?

I personally [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Matilda[/name]. And i find it totally weird when i hear people say it is frumpy or old sounding. I think it sounds so fresh and cute yet grown up. [name]Matty[/name] or [name]Tilly[/name] on a little girl, and [name]Matilda[/name] as an adult. Its an all around good rounded name.

[name]Tilly[/name] alone on the other hand, doesnt really work for me. I am not a fan of nickname names. Such as i love [name]Hattie[/name], but would never jsut use [name]Hattie[/name]. As it is a nickname, sounds incomplete, and frankly, nickname names are exactly that, nicknames, which are usually childish sounding, as they are used by close friends and family, so they have a personal childish like touch to them.

[name]Matilda[/name] nn [name]Tilly[/name] is deffinatly the best, and a simply beautiful name!
Im considered [name]Alice[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] for my baby on the way, so i share a little biased love for the name :slight_smile:

I like [name]Tilly[/name] as a nickname for [name]Matilda[/name], but not at all as a first name on its own. I really think it takes away a child’s choices to be given a traditional nickname as a first name. [name]Tilly[/name] works so well on a child and a teenager, and then she could transition into [name]Matilda[/name] in her professional life. I definitely prefer [name]Tilly[/name] to [name]Mattie[/name]! It sounds light and fun to me.

I’m surprised a couple of posters voted for just [name]Tilly[/name]. To me this is such a no-brainer (although I know nn names are becoming very popular). Still, it seems as though you should go with the name that gives the child more choices as she grows up. She can go by [name]Tilly[/name] forever and ever – if she loves it. She can become so much a [name]Tilly[/name] that her closest friends will be surprised to learn the name on her birth certificate is [name]Matilda[/name]. But by naming her [name]Matilda[/name], you have opened that door for her use something more sophistocated, complex, and adult – if she ever wishes. I’m almost puzzled why you would close that door – unless you don’t like [name]Matilda[/name].

But if that were true, why would you even be asking us?

I think [name]Matilda[/name] is an adorable kindergartener, charming and bright. She will be an attractive teen – spunky and individualistic – in about ten years. She will turn into a beautiful young woman with just a touch of another-age patina.

Of course I’d love to make a suggestion, but it is hard to understand your taste in girl names from just [name]Matilda[/name]/[name]Tilly[/name]. [name]Henrietta[/name]/[name]Hattie[/name]? [name]Tabitha[/name]/[name]Tabby[/name]? [name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Nelly[/name]? [name]Honora[/name] [name]Rose[/name]/[name]Nora[/name]? [name]Matilda[/name] seems to me to belong to the same family as [name]Clementine[/name]. I looked up the name on site and the computer noted those interested in [name]Matilda[/name] are also interested in [name]Anais[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Gemma[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Lila[/name], [name]Olive[/name], and [name]Paloma[/name]. Interestingly enough, [name]Sebastian[/name] was one of the boy names mentioned.

The reason why we would consider just [name]Tilly[/name] is that there is a family connection.