Time To Reclaim Kelly For The Boys?

See the results of this poll: Is Kelly okay for a boy?

Respondents: 42 (This poll is closed)

• Yes: 27 (64%)
  • No: 15 (36%)

It is too dated and a soft name for a boy. Sorry.

[name]Caelen[/name], [name]Callum[/name] or [name]Caleb[/name] are today’s choices.

I think you hit on why I like [name]Kelly[/name]. These [name]Caleb[/name] names seem too trendy to me. Someday someone will introduce himself with one of these names and you’ll know exactly when he was born. [name]Kelly[/name] seems more “old school” to me than dated, like using [name]Farah[/name] for a girl. Maybe I’m misguided, but thats how I’m feeling it.

I also don’t think it’s soft for a tall athletic person. And you use a strong middle for balance. We’re considering [name]Kelly[/name] Torleif. Ok, let me have it! :slight_smile:

Yes! I love [name]Kelly[/name] for a boy. It’s just awesome. I also think [name]Mackenzie[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Alexis[/name], [name]Kendall[/name], [name]Whitney[/name], [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Aubrey[/name], and [name]Avery[/name] belong on boys.

What about [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] then?

I like Torleif much more than [name]Kelly[/name] although there may be prn issues. [name]Leif[/name] would be easy though.

[name]Hi[/name]! I do like [name]Kelly[/name] on a boy, although I’m guessing that today, more times than not, he’ll be mistaken for a girl on paper. I think [name]Kelly[/name] on a boy is handsome, though! (I know one male [name]Kelly[/name] who is very, very handsome and distinguished.)

I remember reading about the actress from Charmed naming her baby boy [name]Kelley[/name], and I thought it was great. Oh, what’s her name…[name]Holly[/name] something…Oh! [name]Holly[/name] [name]Marie[/name] Combs. I just checked and her other sons are named [name]Finley[/name] and [name]Riley[/name].

You may also like [name]Kellan[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Kelly[/name] on a boy! My neighbor used to be in the NFL and his name is [name]Kelly[/name]. He’s huge and manly! In real life, I know of more male than female Kellys. But in pop culture there are so many girls. I think it’s very boring for girls. But I totally agree with your description of it on a boy, warm and sporty.

I think many adults might look at you funny when you told them your son’s name is [name]Kelly[/name]… but I don’t think he’d get made fun of or anything in school. I see [name]Kelly[/name] coming back to the boys within the next 20 years, so you’ll just be ahead of the curve!

While I do like the idea of [name]Kelly[/name] for a boy, I don’t think I could use it because my mom’s name is [name]Kelly[/name].
I like other popular girl’s names for boys, especially [name]Mackenzie[/name] and [name]Morgan[/name].

I only like [name]Kelly[/name] for a girl, sorry. My sister’s name is [name]Kelly[/name], when I was in high school two of my best friends were girls named [name]Kelly[/name], and I’ve known lots of other female Kellys. I have met 2 male Kellys, and I just can’t get past thinking that their name is a female name. Also, a friend of mine had communicated with someone named [name]Kelly[/name] via email and it never occurred to her that it was a man until she talked to him on the phone. Torleif is a very cool name, I like it a lot.

I know a male [name]Kelly[/name] he’s in his mid-twenties and the name just fits him perfectly, it doesn’t seem feminine at all on him, and he’s not a super macho jock type of guy either. I think [name]Kelly[/name] for a boy is great! of course I also like [name]Alexei[/name], [name]Mckenzie[/name], [name]Magee[/name] and [name]Laurie[/name] (nn for [name]Laurence[/name]) as well…

Actually come to think of it, I graduated with a guy named [name]Kelsey[/name] as well and nobody thought twice about it, I think a person can really make a name

So I think the fact that 50% think it’s not cool to name a boy [name]Kelly[/name], proves that it IS COOL. After all, if everyone thinks it’s cool then it’s no longer cool. Thanks!

That is completely true!

I know a young man named [name]Kelly[/name] in his mid-twenties… It fits and doesn’t seem soft at all. I think it works. When I see [name]Kelly[/name] I think of the color [name]Kelly[/name] green… which is not feminine at all to me.

Good [name]Luck[/name]

Well, I happen to be a guy named [name]Kelly[/name] myself (I don’t mention it too often since I have a username unrelated to my first name, although I have mentioned more often my unusual gender for a nameberryite). I think it’s a great name for a boy and the fact that it’s not as popular for girls as it once was may help out. I agree with those who think that it’s dated for a girl but fresher for a boy.

I agree that it’s dated for a girl and fresh for a boy, but he’s got to have the personality to back it up. Might I suggest spelling it [name]Kelley[/name]? I don’t know, somehow that distinguishes it from the female connection more for me. Or maybe not. That’s how my nephew’s middle name is spelled, and I thought it seemed more masculine. But when I see it typed here I’m just not sure. I guess either spelling works, actually. Be bold, go with [name]Kelly[/name] if you love it.

Not my style on a boy… or a girl. It was known as unisex for long enough that it won’t seem odd on either.

I think if others started to name their boys [name]Kelly[/name] I would love it. But I wouldn’t be the one to start reclaiming [name]Kelly[/name] for boys- he would get teased too much!

I don’t mean to start a debate, but it’s the catch-22 opinions like yours that often spell the end of a “unisex” name being seen at least somewhat masculine. In general I think the worry about teasing is more than it needs to be. Sure, I get a fair share of “Isn’t that a girl’s name?” comments and mistitled letters; I can remember only one instance of someone actually giving me a hard time over my name though, and he was someone notorious for doing the same to others (not necessarily with names but with anything “teasable”). I understand those who don’t want to use such names because they don’t want to induce gender confusion (although in that case I’d be more on your side if you wouldn’t use a gender-neutral name for a girl either), but except for those names with obvious teasing factors I think people worry too much about that.

I know a male [name]Kelly[/name] in his 20’s and he wears it well (he is HOT). I think it’s still a unisex name and works fine as a boy name.

I don’t mean to start a debate, but it’s the catch-22 opinions like yours that often spell the end of a “unisex” name being seen at least somewhat masculine. In general I think the worry about teasing is more than it needs to be. Sure, I get a fair share of “Isn’t that a girl’s name?” comments and mistitled letters; I can remember only one instance of someone actually giving me a hard time over my name though, and he was someone notorious for doing the same to others (not necessarily with names but with anything “teasable”). I understand those who don’t want to use such names because they don’t want to induce gender confusion (although in that case I’d be more on your side if you wouldn’t use a gender-neutral name for a girl either), but except for those names with obvious teasing factors I think people worry too much about that.[/quote]

Thanks Namefan! Good to get a thumbs up from a dude named [name]Kelly[/name]. I agree that the teasing factor is overblown.