Time to Revive: "A" Names

One of my favorite berries suggested I write about names I want to see revived, so here goes.

[name_u]Anne[/name_u] is my first thought. [name_u]Anne[/name_u], [name_u]Alma[/name_u], and [name_f]Audra[/name_f]. I’m not up on name popularity enough to know if they truly need reviving, but I feel they do.

I guess I base my “research” on having taught for 35 years and I’ve never taught an [name_u]Anne[/name_u] or an [name_f]Audra[/name_f]. I have had a few Latina [name_f]Almas[/name_f] thankfully, but I think this is a universal name I’d love to see used more. It has such a calm presence.

I think [name_u]Anne[/name_u] is a common middle, but I so prefer it as a first. Of course being an [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables fanatic has a whole lot to do with that. I love the thought of [name_u]Anne[/name_u] paired with a dazzling middle, maybe even using both names (Anne [name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] for example). The simple and the wild combined.

[name_f]Audra[/name_f] to me is so much prettier than [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] ( I once had a rival named [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] so there you go). I think of a character named [name_f]Audra[/name_f] on an old TV Western who was lovely.

Would love to hear your thoughts on these names and any other “A” girl names you feel deserve greater use. Another alphabet list… so good for my OCD!

7 Likes

[name_f]Audra[/name_f] is darling. It’s actually been on my list for a while. I love [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], but I felt like it was a little bit too known to use it. [name_f]Audra[/name_f] adds some spunk to it. Hmm, not sure about [name_u]Anne[/name_u]. Still seems a little old-lady to me, but I do like [name_f]Annie[/name_f] as a nickname. I do know a little girl named [name_u]Anne[/name_u] and it definitely is super cute on her, so maybe it would be fine to come back.

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] was my first thought, but maybe it would blend in with all the other [name_m]Add[/name_m]- names.

2 Likes

I toooootally agree about sweet [name_u]Anne[/name_u]! So so so great!

1 Like

I wasn’t sure about [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] either. I adore it (ever since I read a kids’ book with an [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and a [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] in it), but thought maybe it had already been revived. If not, definitely [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. It reminds me of a patchwork quilt.

I love [name_u]Anne[/name_u] and [name_u]Alma[/name_u]! [name_f]Audra[/name_f] is nice, too; I love that it means “storm” in Lithuanian! [name_u]Alma[/name_u] reminds me of [name_u]Alba[/name_u], which I also think is underrated.

As for other A names, I know a young [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] who wears it really well. [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] is another favorite, but I think its been revived already. Others I’d like to see: [name_f]Anita[/name_f], [name_u]Antonia[/name_u], [name_f]Avis[/name_f], [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], [name_f]Albertine[/name_f]

3 Likes

Cool, [name_u]Alma[/name_u] is another weather name!

Your other choices are great. [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] and [name_u]Antonia[/name_u] are powerful and [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] is charming. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Audra[/name_f], [name_u]Alma[/name_u], and [name_u]Anne[/name_u] are lovely. I especially like [name_f]Audra[/name_f]!

For me, it’s [name_u]Antonia[/name_u] and [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]! I know they were already mentioned, but I can’t believe neither is in the US top 1000. Both are sweet and classic and simultaneously bold and gentle.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s weird that [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is hugely used yet not [name_u]Antonia[/name_u] and [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], and that [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] is massively popular yet not [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] or [name_f]Ismene[/name_f]. Bizarre.

1 Like

I completely and utterly agree regarding [name_u]Anne[/name_u] (personally prefer [name_f]Ann[/name_f] spelling wise as [name_f]Ann[/name_f] is a family name and I’m a sucker for using a family name! You cannot go wrong with an honour name) anyways you’ve definitely hit the nail on the head with [name_u]Anne[/name_u]! She needs reviving immediately honestly [name_u]Anne[/name_u] is so graceful, understated, elegant, timeless and homespun. [name_u]Anne[/name_u] has so many fabulous namesakes and is rich in history also the lovely meaning ‘grace’ makes the name even more appealing. I agree that teaming [name_u]Anne[/name_u] with a brave and daring middle name would be lush. I’m very much into word names so would love something like [name_u]Anne[/name_u] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] (nameberry darling) or [name_u]Anne[/name_u] Midwinter or [name_u]Anne[/name_u] Locket. I also like the idea of something striking like you say I think [name_u]Anne[/name_u] [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] would be lush.

[name_u]Alma[/name_u] is also gorgeous! I actually think she could be on the right path for revival she ticks a lot of boxes also this YouTuber SJ Strum has mentioned [name_u]Alma[/name_u] which makes me think she could be on track for revival. I also like [name_f]Audra[/name_f] she’s intriguing but I do prefer [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] personally I would love both [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] & [name_f]Audra[/name_f] to receive more usage.

1 Like

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] ode to Ann/Anne!

I actually am not sure how many Americans are named [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], but I’ve taught a bunch and also Alex’s and Alexis’ etc.

I love [name_u]Alma[/name_u] - such a warm and gentle name! It’s actually been steadily climbing here in the UK since 2017 and with [name_u]Alba[/name_u] recently passing into the top 200, I can see [name_u]Alma[/name_u] following!

[name_u]Anne[/name_u] is such a solid name. It reminds me of [name_u]Anne[/name_u] [name_f]Bronte[/name_f], which I like! Like you, [name_u]Anne[/name_u] with a fabulous middle would be great!

[name_f]Audra[/name_f] is intriguing - I quite like it! It can also mean storm in Lithuanian, which I think is cool!

I’d quite like [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] to get some love - [name_f]Aggie[/name_f] is super cute and there’s a Frankenstein reference in there :grin:

2 Likes

I know 2 Audra’s, but they are both in their late 20’s and early 30’s. I would love to meet a little [name_f]Audra[/name_f], or even an [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f] and [name_u]Andrea[/name_u].

1 Like

Honestly I know when I was at school there were Alexandra’s but I’m 28 now have a 1 year old and am yet to meet an [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] at any playgroups, parks, leisure centres etc I’m surrounded by little ones am yet to meet an [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] and would love too. I haven’t even met an [name_u]Alex[/name_u] or [name_u]Lexi[/name_u]!

Also I’m in the UK so I’m not sure about her popularity stateside

1 Like

I agree completely! And especially since Anthony/Antonio have been popular for a long time and [name_u]August[/name_u] is flying up the charts for boys. Why not the feminine versions too?

1 Like

I share your feelings about Anne (and Ann)! I also think she’d make a wonderful pairing for hyphenated names. Whilst I’m not fussed about people adding May/Mae, Rose and Grace onto the end of everything, I do get excited when I see names like Barbara-Anne, Helen-Anne, Kerry-Anne, Lesley-Ann,
Sally-Ann & Shirley-Anne (all names taken from Scotland’s 2013 census, the latest data I could find for hyphenated names in the UK). I love the idea that there are still gems like these being given to a child. No, they aren’t going to be populating the streets, but I think it makes these names even more special! Personally, I love Anne-Christine, Anne-Charlotte & Anne-Sophie, with the latter two slightly more modern sounding. I realise hyphenated names aren’t for everyone, but I do love the more vintage, dusty-retro sounding ones!

In terms of some more “A” names I’d like to see have greater use, I am partial to Agnes and Agatha “Aggie,” Angela and Amy. I feel Amy (and Aimee) is still vastly more popular than Agatha or Angela (maybe Agnes is more popular now than Amy, certainly in England) but I’d still like to see a little more of her. She sort of fits into the sweet vintage category but also is still slightly reminiscent of the 80s and 90s, at least to me. I do however think she has staying potential. Where other what I would call gems of the 90s have seriously diminished in their popularity, I think she has a lot of comeback potential because she does possess that vintage charm!

Edit: Alberta and Albertine are also two others I’d love to see more of! Thanks @katinka for mentioning them :relieved:

1 Like

There’s a little [name_f]Ann[/name_f] at my daughter’s preschool, aged about 2. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] to see it on a little one.

[name_u]Alma[/name_u] is definitely coming back and I think it’s beautiful.

[name_f]Audra[/name_f] is strong and impactful, I like it.

I’m going to campaign for the return of [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] (already hipster but I’d like to see it properly return), Alberta/Albertine, and [name_f]Aphra[/name_f]!

1 Like

I’ve taught Frankenstein and I forgot who is [name_f]Agatha[/name_f]? :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I’m not a big boyish nicknames for girls person, [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is a cute nn for [name_f]Augusta[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Alberta[/name_f]. So solid and juicy sounding.

And Anne-Sophie is gorgeous.

1 Like

She’s the daughter/sister in the Delacey family :slight_smile:

1 Like