Time to Revive: "B" Names

The names that pop to my mind are [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f], [name_f]Belinda[/name_f], and Bess/Betsy.

I’ve never known a young version of any of these.

[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] is blithe and cheery.

[name_f]Belinda[/name_f] feels graceful to me in a way that [name_f]Linda[/name_f] doesn’t. Plus I love the nns [name_f]Bel[/name_f] (I’m tired of Belle), [name_f]Lin[/name_f] (more than [name_u]Lynn[/name_u], which I prefer on a male), and [name_f]Lindy[/name_f] (which is darling). I also love the Latina name [name_f]Belen[/name_f], which could be a lovely nn for [name_f]Belinda[/name_f].

[name_f]Bess[/name_f] seems so much more to me than a four letter name. Like [name_f]Vera[/name_f] or the three letter rich [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and plucky [name_f]Ida[/name_f], [name_f]Bess[/name_f] seems to me a name in its own right.

And [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] seems to me as worthy a name as [name_f]Molly[/name_f], but fresher from lack of recent use.

Any thoughts or additions?

5 Likes

I’d love to see the sweet and energetic [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] make a comeback! And I know it’s not one of the revival names but I also love seeing [name_f]Belen[/name_f] mentioned :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Along the same lines as Bess/Betsy, I think [name_f]Beth[/name_f] and [name_f]Betty[/name_f] deserve more usage. I love [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] in full but there is something so sweet and warm about [name_f]Beth[/name_f] on its own. And [name_f]Betty[/name_f] is so charming and fun, too.

1 Like

betty would be the one for me! cozy, charming, and has the nickname factor that a lot of revived names have.

1 Like

I love most B names — have never been able to get in board with [name_f]Bessy[/name_f], though. Reminds me of the term “whoa, Bessie!”

[name_f]May[/name_f] not be common knowledge for those not familiar it’s farms, but that’s a term for rowdy cows. Shorter form [name_f]Bess[/name_f] isn’t so bad.

A few other B favorites:
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Beth[/name_f]
[name_u]Billie[/name_u]
[name_u]Brook[/name_u]
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_u]Briar[/name_u]
[name_u]Beverly[/name_u]

1 Like

I know about cows and [name_f]Bessie[/name_f], but I like cows and love [name_f]Bess[/name_f] [name_m]Marvin[/name_m], [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] Drew’s delicious chum!

I almost included [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], but wasn’t sure if it was popular before or not. Such a lovely name and I love the name [name_f]Blithe[/name_f] too.

And Beverly…it’s time for [name_u]Beverly[/name_u] too! I taught a pretty and intelligent HS girl named that and she was quite popular with the kids. Her old-fashioned name didn’t seem to be an issue. Plus there’s a pleasing symmetry in how the name looks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I so agree! I hope it’ll ride the wings of Everly and make a bit of a comeback. Such a sweet name. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

No offense to anyone, but I’ve never gotten the appeal of [name_u]Everly[/name_u]. To me, it’s still the name of the blonde singing duo of my pre-childhood (dating myself there).

1 Like

I feel the same way!

1 Like

[name_f]Beulah[/name_f] !!!

1 Like

Oh my gosh, yes!

I adore this name. It’s so rich and velvety.

[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] are most definitely back here in the UK! Both very sweet and popular among little girls I know.

Totally with you on [name_f]Bess[/name_f]. I also have a real soft spot for [name_f]Beth[/name_f], just [name_f]Beth[/name_f].

Unusual international options I’d like to nominate for this category are [name_f]Bertille[/name_f] and Berenika :bow_and_arrow:

4 Likes

[name_f]Belinda[/name_f] is sweet!! I met a [name_f]Belinda[/name_f] in her early twenties a while back and she went by [name_f]Bee[/name_f]!

[name_f]Bess[/name_f] is so warm and lovely and [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] is very sweet and charming!

[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] is so joyful!! [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] is in the top UK 100 and [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] is at 141 here, so they are coming back!

I quite like the name Beverley/Beverly. It sounds pretty fun and i met a teen [name_u]Beverly[/name_u] who wore it well. I also like the sweet but strong [name_f]Beth[/name_f]

1 Like

I’d love to see [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] come back! They’d fit in great with the other nickname names being revived right now. [name_f]Belinda[/name_f] still feels dated to me, but maybe if I met a younger one I’d feel differently :slight_smile: For other B names, [name_f]Bertha[/name_f] is a huge gp for me! I don’t think it’s ready to revive yet, but I wish it would at least lose some of its negative connotations. I agree with other posters that [name_f]Betty[/name_f] and [name_u]Billie[/name_u] should be revived!

1 Like

[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] & [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] as @katinka said is very much in fashion in the UK. One of my friends has a daughter [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] (sister N@ncy) and at playgroup there’s two Betsy’s! I actually think your naming style there is very similar to the UK general naming style.

I’m not a massive fan of [name_f]Belinda[/name_f] I just really dislike [name_f]Linda[/name_f] and with this name that’s all I hear. So for me personally I’m not seeing the revival of [name_f]Belinda[/name_f].

[name_f]Bess[/name_f]! Yes completely see this name being revived she’s gorgeous such a happy upbeat nickname name that deserves more recognition. I actually think [name_f]Bess[/name_f] could definitely be revived in the UK she would fit right in with all the vintage nickname names that people love in the UK.

[name_m]Even[/name_m] though I see [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] a lot I feel that [name_f]Betty[/name_f] should be revived. I actually prefer [name_f]Betty[/name_f] to [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] I just like the sweet cottagecore vibes of [name_f]Betty[/name_f] :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I’d agree on [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] & [name_f]Bess[/name_f], both of which feel like they’re ready for a comeback, and would fit right in with the vintage resurgence. I’d also add [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] & [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] to this.

As for others I’m not as sold on but I do think could work, perhaps [name_f]Brenda[/name_f] & [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f], and as -ette names seem to be getting a little more popular again, maybe even [name_f]Babette[/name_f] and [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]?

2 Likes

I think everyone has already said my feelings about [name_f]Betsy[/name_f]! Such a sweet, charming name that is already making a comeback in the UK!

I totally agree with you on [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Bess[/name_f] but I have a real love for [name_f]Bessie[/name_f] too! I think I do prefer her over [name_f]Bess[/name_f] but thats because I do have a soft spot for most names that end in ie/y :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think the main “B” name I would like to see more of is [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]! I’d love to see her revived :cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

Yes to all of the above.

Ones that are not my style but could work for others:
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f]
[name_f]Barbara[/name_f]
[name_u]Bobbie[/name_u]

1 Like

Oh, I 100% agree that [name_f]Belinda[/name_f], [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f], and [name_f]Bess[/name_f] need to be revived! I loved the name [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] for as a long as I can remember. Sadly our last name starts with an M so all first names that start with B are out. I could never give my child a name with the initials BM! Some other B names ripe for revival are

[name_f]Bernice[/name_f]
[name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Beulah[/name_f]
[name_f]Bertha[/name_f]

1 Like

I was wondering when someone would bring up [name_f]Brenda[/name_f] and [name_f]Barbara[/name_f]! I agree, not my choices, but I too think they should come back.

[name_f]Barbara[/name_f] is the name of my all-time favorite novelists (Barbara Pym) and I think it has a pretty sound and look. I’ve known two young Barbaras and no young Brendas. What do others think? I’ve often thought if I met one more [name_f]Breanna[/name_f] I’d scream (not that it’s not a nice name, but so many…)

[name_f]Berenice[/name_f] (but not Bernice)
[name_f]Bonita[/name_f]

1 Like