Time to Revive: "M" Names

M has got to be my favorite starting initial for female names.

[name_f]My[/name_f] mother’s middle was [name_u]Marie[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] grandmothers were [name_u]Marion[/name_u] and [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] great grandmother was [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f].

To me, M is a maternal, loving consonant.

It’s hard not to be an M hog, but some of the names that were once more popular here that I would love to see return are:

[name_f]Maryellen[/name_f]
[name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Muriel[/name_f]
[name_f]Mima[/name_f]
[name_f]Melba[/name_f]
[name_f]Morag[/name_f]
[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mignon[/name_f]
[name_f]Mehitabel[/name_f]

Mmmmmm…
What would you add or subtract? Thoughts?

I’d love to revive [name_f]Marianne[/name_f], [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f] and [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]. I like [name_f]Muriel[/name_f], [name_f]Melba[/name_f] and [name_f]Mehitabel[/name_f] from your list.

1 Like

Oh, I forgot my Aunt [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] and my Great Aunt [name_f]Myrtis[/name_f]! :slight_smile:
[name_f]Myrtle[/name_f] is fun. We used to jokingly call my great aunt [name_f]Myrt[/name_f] (though not to her face). It was a name with character.

1 Like

I do really love [name_f]Muriel[/name_f] and [name_f]Morag[/name_f] from those you already mentioned!

I’ve divided my names up into three categories so I can best describe them! From sort of pre-1920’s, I’d love to see more of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Millicent[/name_f]. I put [name_f]Mary[/name_f] in this category as I believe she was at her most popular then. [name_f]My[/name_f] 1950’s chic [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] is the next name I’d love to see revived, and [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] and [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] have my heart from post 1970’s!

1 Like

Ooh [name_f]Maryellen[/name_f] is so sweet! [name_f]Muriel[/name_f] has such a distinct sound, [name_f]Morag[/name_f] is strong and interesting and I like the sweet, simple [name_u]Marie[/name_u].

I like [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] and with the popularity of [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], I’m sure it could see some revivial. They were never super popular but I’d be interested to see some attention on [name_u]Merle[/name_u] and [name_u]Merry[/name_u] (or [name_f]Merrily[/name_f], though that’s never ranked!)

1 Like

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] are two repeated names through many generations in my family. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughters name is [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. I’ve always loved the name [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Merryn[/name_f] (which means joyful).

2 Likes

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is on of my favourites I’d like to see revived!

Also, [name_f]Myfanwy[/name_f]! :heart_eyes:

I like [name_f]Millicent[/name_f], [name_f]Mariah[/name_f], [name_f]Melantha[/name_f] and [name_f]Maxine[/name_f], too.

1 Like

[name_f]Maryellen[/name_f] IS sweet, huh? I think of the jam company and both [name_f]Maryellen[/name_f] [name_m]Walton[/name_m] and the neighbor girl with the most beautiful eyes and long brown hair. I’m not a usual fan of combined names, but I actually would name a daughter [name_f]Maryellen[/name_f] and call her [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and [name_f]Meg[/name_f].

And Merry/Merrily are lovely.

1 Like

Isn’t [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] already revived? [name_f]My[/name_f] great grandmother’s middle name, I used it as my golden dog’s middle name and the name of a duplex in which I once lived!

I love M names!

[name_f]Maryellen[/name_f], [name_u]Marie[/name_u], and [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] are my favorites from your list!

I would also love to see Marilou/Marylou, [name_f]Marla[/name_f], [name_f]Marlena[/name_f], [name_f]Marlene[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_f]Martie[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], Maud/Maude, [name_f]Michelle[/name_f], [name_f]Miranda[/name_f], [name_f]Melissa[/name_f], [name_f]Maureen[/name_f], and [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] make comebacks!

2 Likes

I read a lot on nameberry about [name_u]Marie[/name_u] as a first name and I look forward to meeting some, hyphenated (Marie-Christine) or not.

And Maud/Maudie, those seem to fit in with the cheery nickname trend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is but I haven’t met or heard of a single [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] in my life (at any age) so it feels like it’s not as revived as it seems, at least where I live :tired_face:

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Love[/name_u]!
I second [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_u]Marian[/name_u] or [name_u]Marion[/name_u]! I also would love to see [name_f]Millie[/name_f] or [name_f]Mildred[/name_f]. Mae/May is fairly popular now, but I still like it, or maybe even [name_f]Maybelline[/name_f]. I came across the name [name_f]Mallie[/name_f] the other day too.
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_u]Marian[/name_u], [name_u]Mattie[/name_u], and [name_f]Millie[/name_f] were all serious contender for us the last time!

1 Like

I hear you. All these glorious supposedly revived names must hit my town 50 years late!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], but I also long for a revival of just plain [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. We’ve been without the simple, thousand-year old names in [name_f]English[/name_f] for far too long. [name_u]Marian[/name_u] (our librarian) is also overdue.

[name_f]Miranda[/name_f], [name_f]Melisande[/name_f], and [name_f]Mehitabel[/name_f] (now that we’ve revived Archie). [name_f]Martha[/name_f] – which would have been my third daughter’s name, although in my family we pronounced it [name_f]Marta[/name_f]. [name_f]Mette[/name_f] too, very old-fashioned.

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Margery[/name_f], and [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Maud[/name_f], and [name_f]Mina[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] great great grandmothers name was [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]. I never knew the meaning of it, I just thought it was rather pretty.

Everyone knows I adore [name_f]Marilla[/name_f], though she seems to pair with nothing. For vintage choices, I love [name_f]Marisol[/name_f], [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f], [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] and Maven!!! Oh and how I love [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] for a girls middle name — after [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f], of course.

For modern names, [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] is sweet, and the longer [name_u]Meadowlark[/name_u]. :bouquet::deciduous_tree:

1 Like

[name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
Maiana(pronounced mee-ann-ah)
[name_u]Maria[/name_u]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
Mabeline
Magdeleine
[name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Maxine[/name_f]
[name_u]Happy[/name_u] Naming!
~Eliza

1 Like

I personally looove [name_f]Marielle[/name_f], [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_f]Melinda[/name_f] and [name_f]Mireille[/name_f]! Maya/Maia is also really cute. I think those are my favorite M names.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Marilla[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] could be a nn.

1 Like

I named my new car [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] Lumiere, [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] because she is a reliable, competent Toyota and Lumiere because she is a sparkly color. :slight_smile:

1 Like