Time to Revive: "P" and "Q" Names

[name_f]Polly[/name_f] is probably what I would realistically change my name to if I had to. I’ve yet to meet one, but would love to. So cheery! It’s also a lovely nn for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] names and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] names and for [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. I’d love a daughter named [name_f]Maryellen[/name_f], nn [name_f]Polly[/name_f].

I also love the soft [name_f]Persis[/name_f] and [name_f]Perdita[/name_f].

I am at a loss about female Q names, revivable or revived.

Any help?

I do really love [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]! [name_f]Pamela[/name_f], [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] & [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] are my favourite “P” names to be revived! I’m not too sure I can help you out with “Q” names. [name_f]Queenie[/name_f] is sweet though, gives me 1920s vibes.

2 Likes

[name_f]Queenie[/name_f] could be a cute nn for [name_f]Regina[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], or [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], I think.

2 Likes

It’s [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_u]Penny[/name_u] and [name_f]Quintessa[/name_f] for me :heart_eyes:
I’ll also advocate for [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] variants Perletta and [name_f]Perlina[/name_f], the intriguing Pernolia, the slightly botanical sounding Phidelia (probably a variation of [name_f]Fidelia[/name_f] - ‘faithful’) and Philinda. I’d like to revive these from obscurity (most of them) to enjoy at least as much popularity as they ever did!

Other Q’s for consideration: Questina, Questiva and [name_f]Questa[/name_f].

2 Likes

Philippa/Pippa is our front runner for a girl, after my Dad.
Also love [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] and am considering that, also after my Dad!
[name_f]My[/name_f] grandmother was [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and I’ve always loved the idea of [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] as a middle as a subtle nod to her.
One of my lost babies is [name_f]Patience[/name_f], another is [name_f]Opal[/name_f], which has a strong P sound.

[name_u]Penny[/name_u] and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] are great too but need more name, but I’m not a fan of [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]!
[name_u]Love[/name_u] the idea of [name_f]Polly[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Appoline[/name_f]!

[name_u]Quinn[/name_u] is my favourite Q name, boy or girl but love it on a girl, it’s spunky and unexpected. I also enjoy [name_u]Quill[/name_u] in theory but not in practice haha

2 Likes

Phidelia - Are you saying this like [name_u]Philadelphia[/name_u] in sound or like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]? (Dee-Lee-uh) I’ve not seen this before and am intrigued!!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] it. Pernolia reminds me of Pernod and Phidelia is quite botanical sounding. :slight_smile:

I like Questiva.

1 Like

[name_f]Patience[/name_f] and [name_f]Opal[/name_f], lovely. I am sorry for your losses.

I love [name_u]Quill[/name_u] for a boy.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t know how its PN. I found it in a name list from the 1800’s the other day. My two guesses are Fi-day-lee-a and Fi-dee-lee-a. The first way you describe may be the correct one, I have no idea! Would you like me to find the link to the name list? It was posted here on NB :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love that!
I feel like it could be read both those ways, as well as sounding like [name_f]Fidelity[/name_f], with a [name_u]Dell[/name_u] sound!

3 Likes

Here you are: Victorian 19th c. Names & Nicknames: Women, Baby Girls, Female, Bible – Ancestorville Genealogy
It’s a treasure trove, originally posted here by @AerieEerie :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[name_m]Just[/name_m] had a look in my copy of Llewellyns book of names and it’s not in there sadly!

But was reminded of [name_f]Pomona[/name_f], [name_f]Paige[/name_f], [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] and [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]!

2 Likes

Phinetta from this list!

2 Likes

[name_f]Polly[/name_f] is so lovely! I’ve met a teenaged [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and a baby one!

I’d like to meet a [name_u]Penny[/name_u], a [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] or maybe a [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]. As for Q names, I do like [name_u]Quincey[/name_u], but I prefer that on a boy. I used to like [name_f]Queenie[/name_f] but I’m not sure on the royalist connotation these days

1 Like

I love [name_f]Pomona[/name_f], such a juicy, fruity image!

1 Like

Afraid I’m not at all PC and I love my queens!

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Perdita[/name_f] :orange_heart: Definitely my favorite p name! I agree that [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is ready for revival too. I’d like to see [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] come back one day! It probably wouldn’t happen anytime soon, but I have seen variants of it around here more often, so it’s possible!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Perdita[/name_f] not because of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] but because of the beloved dalmatians! :slight_smile:

1 Like

P names that I love include:

[name_f]Pamela[/name_f]
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] nn [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] or [name_u]Pippin[/name_u]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] nn [name_u]Penny[/name_u]
[name_f]Patience[/name_f]
[name_f]Prudence[/name_f]
[name_f]Perdita[/name_f] is a GP of mine (I can only see it as a MN)
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Peggy[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]

The only Q name I like is [name_f]Queenie[/name_f] which think is just adorable and needs to make a comeback!

2 Likes

I adore [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] and [name_f]Prue[/name_f] and [name_f]Prudie[/name_f]! Shades of [name_f]Nanny[/name_f] and the Professor and [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] Pym!