Timmy

At my work, I have the opportunity to hear tons of names. Today, I was taking a moment to stand by in case on of our new trainees needed help. A couple of young moms came in (maybe 20s) with their kids. One of the kids started to whine and the mom bent down and said “[name_m]Timmy[/name_m], that is not how you act. Use your words to tell me what’s wrong.” I looked over and seen she was talking to a little girl. A female [name_m]Timmy[/name_m]. I was wondering what it could be short for, when the mom addressed her again, this time calling her “Timberly” (I’m guessing on the spelling but it was essentially [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] with a T).

What do you think? I was pretty surprised myself (I was surprised to even hear [name_m]Timmy[/name_m]! I only know one [name_m]Timmy[/name_m]/[name_m]Timothy[/name_m] under the age of 50). It isn’t really my style, but the nickname and Timberly itself have kind of grown on me. Disclaimer: I’m not advocating it…I don’t really care for boys’ names going to the girl side or vice versa.

There’s a suburb near where I’m from named Timberlea (pronounced like [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] with a T), so it doesn’t feel foreign to me. I would never use it as a name for a boy or a girl but based on how names have developed I guess I’m not surprised by it.

As it happens, this is not the subject of your post at all, but lately I have been thinking that [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] is a really sweet (boy) name, and I’ve met some adult Tims that wear it really well. [name_f]Do[/name_f] we think it’s kind of dated maybe? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on anyone born after about the mid-'80s, come to think of it.

Hmm, maybe that is where this mother heard it. If it is a place name, that would make sense.

I agree about [name_m]Timothy[/name_m]. It does seem dated, but I think for the reason we both stated: it hasn’t been too commonly used for recent generations.

Actually, I know a woman named [name_m]Timothy[/name_m], nicknamed [name_f]Timmi[/name_f]. She’s in her late 60s or 70s.