Title and Blurb Game

Traitors of the Sun

(Ok I changed it a couple times because I got a better idea, so sorry for the confusion!)

Every thousand years, a god must die.
The pantheon of Eltana loses one seat every millennium, and every deity must fight to keep their immortality and influence. For a period of one hundred days, each god is cast down to the mortal world for a globe-spanning death tournament in which one is permanently eliminated.
With this Godless era approaching, temples and convents prepare to offer protection to their soon-to-be mortal patron deities.
Except for the Renatai Temple of the Sun.
Nineteen year old Altan Erakos, with the help of assassinations, bribery, and oration expertise, has managed to convince the temple’s leaders to shut its doors to their god, Eluxem—who also happens to be Altan’s father. Made bitter by his mother, Altan resents the distant deity that’s his blood and is convinced that a new era—one without the sun—is the destined, prosperous future for humanity.
Ilyia Sandri, a priestess with the gift of prophecy, owes her life to Eluxem and her love to Altan. She finds herself torn between the two when the Godless Era begins, and makes a bold decision that saves her from tarnishing any of her loyalties—but also could change the course of history forever.
Elio Raela, a former prince, was made Eluxem’s slave after his family disrespected the god. He resides in Renatai Temple until Eluxem calls for his service, and while the majority of other residents have been turned against their sun god, Elio remains firmly loyal to his immortal master. He is disgusted with the Temple’s actions and vows to leave to protect Eluxem during the Godless Era in the hopes of gaining his freedom.
The Renatai Temple of the Sun has turned traitor. Now Altan, Ilyia, and Elio must grapple with the consequences and fight to preserve—or destroy—the world in which they live.

(Convoluted, but I think it might be really fun….)

Next: The Glass Clock or Fallen Saints

2 Likes

[name_f]Fallen[/name_f] Saints

We abandoned the Mindless – or as we should call them, the [name_u]Divine[/name_u] – Children years ago, created new lives, gave ourselves new names. And honestly, life outside of what most sane people would call a cult can be about as strange as it was inside, if a little more… free.

No matter.

Because in the end, there can be no such thing as freedom from the [name_u]Divine[/name_u], can there? Because there should be no such thing as hope out here, living among those who have heard both nothing and nigh-on everything about the Children, living in a world that can seem a million shades darker than even life with the [name_u]Divine[/name_u] was.

They call us the [name_f]Fallen[/name_f] Saints, now, and maybe that’s what we are.

They want to raise us up again, and we plan to stay down.

They want us saved from the darkest depths of madness?

Well, maybe we should be feeding them into the flames.

Sometimes you have to wonder whether making friends is worth the trouble. You really, really have to wonder whether talking to the nervous-and-then-downright-rebellious new kids is a good idea, even when you’re absolutely desperate to have someone to talk to. You… you really do have to think about every possibility, because otherwise you realise you’ve made friends with several former cult members who are now hellbent on destroying said cult far too late, and suddenly it feels like it’s your job to stop it all from going any further than it already has.

Not like this is what [name_u]Val[/name_u] Redthorpe’s life has come to, or anything along those lines.

(I was gonna end it after the italics, but then I decided… not to.)

Next: The [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f] [name_u]Flame[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] it! This is brilliant! (no pun intended! :rofl:)

Oh thank you!! It’s certainly a fun concept. Hopefully someday I’ll have the time and willpower to work on it!

1 Like

The sapphire flame

Nobody would’ve ever expected Nilfu to be the one to see the rumoured sapphire flame.

The person who sees the sapphire flame is supposed to be the only one who can save the kingdom of Aniel. Also, the sapphire flame is supposed to indicate that The seer is nearby to the one seeking to destroy the kingdom.

Nilfu has heard these rumors, of course. It’s the type of thing the girls at her home like to talk about. The girls live on rumours such as these, since they are the only hints of real excitement that they can imagine.

Nilfu has been living in the home since she was six, when she lost all of her vision from an illness and her parents did not want her anymore. The home is for unwanted girls, many of whom have disabilities. The girls must work for long hours weaving baskets and making other crafts and they have little in the way of food or comfort. Nilfu believes this is the only life she will ever have until the lady who is in charge of the Home discovers Nilfu’s beautiful singing voice and sends her to the streets to sing and beg for money instead.

When Elrena, a wealthy and influential woman in the kingdom, hears Nilfu sing, she takes Nilfu from the home to be a personal singer for her. Nilfu has never lived in such a luxurious house and doesn’t know what to do with herself. But she soon befriends the gardeners son, Lifran, and a servant girl, [name_f]Mella[/name_f], who are the first people in Nilfu’s life to see her as an equal and not look down on her because of her blindness. [name_m]Just[/name_m] as she’s settling into her new life, though, she sees it.

Now, Nilfu has not been able to see since she was six years old. But she still has synesthesia, which means she can see sounds in her mind and they are different colours. This has always been a curiosity to the people around her and a part of who she is. But one day, from within the hearth in a sitting room of the grand house, The fire makes a sound, one that only she can hear, and the sound is a sapphire blue. Of course, nobody believes that the blind girl saw the sapphire flame. Nobody else could even hear the sound she heard. Well, two people actually do believe her, and those are her two friends. They decide to figure out what’s going on. The first suspect for the person who could be trying to destroy the kingdom is Elrena. After all, she has been acting strange lately, what with her secret meetings and the hidden rooms in her house full of strange things.

But what if they’re looking at this all wrong? What if The only way to save the kingdom is to destroy it?

Not sure if this was any good but I gave it a try haha.

Next title: [name_f]My[/name_f] Life Is [name_f]Pretty[/name_f] Normal, Except for the Dragons

2 Likes

(Honestly does not fit the title, thinking about it, but this is the best I had)

[name_f]My[/name_f] Life is [name_f]Pretty[/name_f] Normal, Except for the Dragons

The Emberwish family business is a front – they really run a sort of black market dragon-related operation for a completely different world.

And somehow that’s the least surprising thing [name_u]Ari[/name_u] discovered this week.

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] Deraway’s ‘investigations’ never lead anywhere good, but generally they don’t lead to the sorts of discoveries that tend to make people disappear. At least that’s what usually happens in Elio’s books, whcih feels like an appropriate comparison to make given the fact that dragons are quite well-known for being fictional creatures.

No matter. All of a sudden [name_u]Ari[/name_u] and [name_m]Elio[/name_m] are wrapped up in a twisted web that neither boy has a hope of understanding… unless they decide to continue investigating the mystery that got them into so much trouble in the first place, and to do that, they need to follow an Emberwish into the ‘other world’ where nothing is as it seems.

Aerestonia has its ways of creating false senses of security, and the world itself seems to hate the new intruders – which means their ‘detective work’ can’t quite happen without outside help that they can’t afford.

So as everything starts to crumble, on both sides of the barrier, they’re forced to start thinking about the truth. It’s no use saying to anyone that this is even a little bit normal, and yet… and yet…

They can’t say anything else.

Next: Rules and Roses

1 Like

Rules and Roses

Being [name_u]Rosen[/name_u] Norcote is simple enough, according to my… well, I never like to call them my ‘handlers’, but there’s few better words. [name_m]Just[/name_m] listen to the rules, and you should be fine.

I’m just not so sure what rules the kid had to follow, and I certainly don’t want to ask.

The [name_u]Rosen[/name_u] Rules, as Evie’s wont to call them for, well, at least the next two years, are an absolute horror story parcelled up into a few ‘simple rules’.

Don’t speak unless spoken to.

Ask for your punishment when you know you deserve it.

Never ask for mercy.

There’s several more besides, but even just those three [name_u]Rosen[/name_u] Rules are enough to make the boy’s would-be replacement want to scream. Unfortunately, [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] isn’t really allowed to do that, and even more unfortunately, it’s growing far too dangerous to keep [name_u]Rosen[/name_u] away from his… whatever they were.

Tormentors feels horrifically weak.

“I’d love to know how they can think we believe the world is all pretty rainbows and roses, you know?” [name_f]Evie[/name_f] shrugged. “Maniacs, whole lot of them.”

It’s not meant to be for long, never meant to be for long, but [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] thinks any time living under the [name_u]Rosen[/name_u] Rules is too much time, and yet…

Well, they say it can’t be that hard, don’t they?

(I don’t even know what I was thinking here, that ends so weirdly…)

Next: No Such Thing As [name_u]Magic[/name_u] or The Disappearing School

The Disappearing School

The Valahyde Institute for the Arcane is a very difficult school to get into – even when it’s well-known for allowing just about any young witch or wizard to attend. There’s just a slight catch, of course.

You have to find the school first.

But this isn’t a story about the school gaining a small handful of new students. It’s a story about two students from Valahyde who vanish from the school just as effectively as the school vanishes from any location it ever materialises in… and their attempts to get back to where they belong.

[name_m]Even[/name_m] when they have no idea where it’s disappeared to.

Next: [name_f]Silence[/name_f] The Past

[name_f]Silence[/name_f] The Past

14/6/20–

“I did all this for you,” he said… no, pleaded, running a hand through Alex’s hair as shouts echoed through the empty rooms below us. “Help me.”

But why on [name_f]Earth[/name_f] would he have wanted to do that, Dad?

You’re a murderer.

And now it’s going to be his fault forever, because I know [name_u]Alex[/name_u] better than almost anyone else.

Six years have passed since [name_u]James[/name_u] Dayling was arrested, covered in the blood of the man and woman who lived next door, screaming for his children — most specifically [name_u]Alex[/name_u] — to stop the ‘madness’ that was going on.

[name_m]Five[/name_m] years have passed since twelve-year-old [name_u]Sam[/name_u] Dayling vanished in broad daylight, never to be seen alive again.

(Rather, a body has yet to be found, but it’s been
five years, and the last Daylings are not expecting any good news.)

[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] Dayling has not touched the diary she used to write in daily in four-and-a-half years; [name_u]Alex[/name_u] barely speaks a word to anyone but his remaining siblings, scaring his twin brother [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] the most. And seven-year-old [name_u]Nat[/name_u] was nowhere near old enough at the time to really know what happened.

It’s the siblings’ way of silencing the past, of forcing themselves to forget, but when a face from that past returns… well.

(Does the apple ever fall far from the tree?)

(Or is there no way for the Daylings to get through this without spilling more blood?)

Next: The [name_u]Midnight[/name_u] Daggers or Eye of the [name_u]Storm[/name_u]

The [name_u]Midnight[/name_u] Daggers
Ferys and [name_f]Nila[/name_f] are assassins, the finest assassins [name_u]England[/name_u] has ever seen — or not seen, as the case may be.
The papers refer to them as the [name_u]Midnight[/name_u] Daggers. The name is fitting for the friends, though not for the reason the papers think.

When a new assassin-in-training arrives at the Assassin League, Ferys and [name_f]Nila[/name_f] know she is a spy trying to infiltrate and take out the country’s most dangerous adversities. The only problem is: despite their known aversion to lying, the friends are doubted. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is welcomed to the League, embraced with open arms.
When she is put in a room next to Ferys and Nila’s, [name_f]Alice[/name_f] knows it’s time to strike.
[name_m]Can[/name_m] she murder England’s best assassins and get away with it? [name_f]Nila[/name_f] and Ferys hope not.

Next: Behind Locked Doors

Behind Locked Doors

“All the coolest stuff is always hidden behind locked doors in places like this,” Tori muttered, kicking at the door and making Jazz cry out. “Shut it, Torsney. Come on, where might we find the keys?”

“I’d not recommend that.”

I’m pretty sure we all screamed, but it was Loxley Scarr who’d interrupted us.

And since we know nothing about him, that could lead to anything potentially horrifying.

Blackmont Academy is filled with secrets, like any decent boarding school is. One of the strangest secrets is that of the locked door on the top floor — or potentially the top accessible floor, if Tori’s theories are correct — but the one Fern’s most interested is the one that belongs to their classmate Loxley Scarr.

They all know the surname Scarr, of course, it’s the same surname as that of the cook and the caretaker, but Loxley looks very little like them, and he avoids them both like they’re carrying the plague… which is really just another one of the strange things about him, come to think of it.

Regardless.

Doors that should stay locked.

Secrets that try to stay hidden.

Mysteries begging to be discovered.

It’s maybe just another normal term at Blackmont Academy, but it could be so much more, and Fern knows that he and the rest of the Trinity aren’t going to be resting until they know what’s going on… for better or worse.

Next: The Unwanted or The Things That Are Normal

2 Likes

Jeez, my last two have been pretty long… and you probably don’t want to know how dark they’ve been in my head, actually.

2 Likes

The Unwanted

White Lily Home For Girls and Safe Harbour Home For Boys are places for those who lost their parents, or maybe never truly had them to begin with. They are places for ‘Wanted Children’, the signs on their doors proclaim, not places to abandon a child that was never desired.

And they always know what kind of child is on the doorstep.

The Wanted get a roof over their heads, with the chance of a real home in their futures; the Unwanted disappear, never to be seen again. Rumour has it that the latter are left to freeze, but Hannah and Amelia Clews aren’t so sure.

The Clews sisters don’t live far away from White Lily and Safe Harbour, and so they’re some of the first to hear when a boy vanished from Safe Harbour, leaving no trace but a telling red stain on his bedclothes. Next are two girls from White Lily, with the same bloody marks found in their room. And then it’s another girl a week or so later, another boy and then a third within the span of three days…

It’s madness.

Hannah and Amelia know one thing – this must have something to do with the Unwanted Children. But they can’t exactly find out the truth about both orphanages on their own, being the Clews sisters.

Or can they?

And when their investigations turn up a truth far more sinister than anything the children in the Homes could ever have imagined, will the word of the Clews sisters be enough to save their newfound friends?

(I had to, with the surname. I just had to.)

Next: A Tale of Wizards and Wolves

3 Likes

(Hidden magic schools are apparently my go-to.)

A Tale of Wizards and Wolves

Having been wards of [name_f]Starlight[/name_f] Manor – a hidden school of magic – for as long as they can remember, [name_m]Zander[/name_m], [name_u]Rue[/name_u] and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_u]Jinx[/name_u] are the talk of the school when they finally reach the proper age to attend lessons… and also their rumoured ‘ability’ to enter the forest around the manor without getting themselves killed. After all, it’s full of evil creatures.

[name_u]Or[/name_u] so they say.

[name_u]Aster[/name_u] [name_m]Lennix[/name_m], a fellow classmate of the [name_u]Jinx[/name_u] siblings, is determined to find out their secret. Is it just that they’ve been in [name_f]Starlight[/name_f] Manor for years and years, or is it something much more sinister?

He doesn’t know, and he wants to, badly.

Yet the forest is as dangerous as they say, and the only people who can help him when he stumbles upon some of the creatures within (and then inevitably offend them) happen to not like Aster’s investigations very much.

So when Aster’s mistakes are revealed to be the final nail in [name_f]Starlight[/name_f] Manor’s coffin, when the wolves of the woods begin making plans to attack the school and devastate Akradene’s young wizard population, can the four of them work together to save the school… or will the only wizards to leave alive be [name_m]Zander[/name_m], [name_u]Rue[/name_u] and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] once more?

Next: Partner In Crime

2 Likes

Partner In Crime

[name_f]Giselle[/name_f] Stormdancer is one of the most infamous Illusionists in Lukeryl; [name_m]Elian[/name_m] Ashbow is a new recruit of the Silent Ones, the taskforce set up to get rid of the Illusionists.

And neither’s loyalties lie with their groups.

When they meet, sparks fly – admittedly not very romantic ones, given that it’s because [name_f]Giselle[/name_f] and another Illusionist have just set fire to a nearby office building – and over the next few weeks it’s impossible to ignore the fact that they’re being drawn to each other.

So when [name_m]Elian[/name_m] is attacked by another Silent One, [name_f]Giselle[/name_f] knows it’s because of her. And she’ll do anything to keep her friend safe… no matter how illegal it is.

(Lost my ‘vision’ for this halfway through…)

Next: Happily Never After

3 Likes

Happily Never After

[name_u]Holly[/name_u] Evertown knows that her BFF isn’t as missing as everyone thinks she is — the pictures of the princess in her favourite ‘fairytale’ book suddenly look exactly like [name_f]Izabel[/name_f] Montero, who’s definitely not brown-haired or grey-eyed like [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Amadea[/name_f] is meant to be.

There’s also the fact that ‘Amadea’ is now ‘Isabetta’, which… well, it sums it all up pretty well.

In the pictures, [name_f]Izabel[/name_f] used to look horrified. But now she just seems dead inside, and [name_u]Holly[/name_u] knows that she doesn’t have time to waste if she wants to save her friend.

And yet… as [name_u]Holly[/name_u] tries to work out how to get into the book herself, she can’t help thinking.

Is this story going to end with a happily ever after, or will Holly’s attempts to save [name_f]Izabel[/name_f] create a happily never after for everyone?

Next: The Missing [name_u]Miracle[/name_u] or Someone Else’s Fairytale

3 Likes

Someone Else’s Fairytale

Jenny was only seven when her father fell off of a roof and went into a coma.

Jenny was only seven when her father never woke up.

Jenny was only seven when she realized that happily ever after’s are saved only for the storybooks. No fairy godmother was coming to bring her father back.

In her seventh year, Jenny transformed into a no-nonsense, brusque, unidealistic cynic. She threw all the paper story books from her dad out the window of her tiny third-floor apartment bedroom. She threw her name out that window too, the name her father said belonged to a princess. The name her father said belonged to Jenny’s great-great-grandmother, the one that gave up her royal titles to get married to a normal man.

Genevieve Anastasia Harrison was just Jennifer now. Jennifer who spent all her time taking care of what mom should be doing.

Mom, who, if not distracting herself somehow, was the forever-depressed Mom, who only came out to make dinner. Jennifer was not living the fairytale her father had promised. This was her life now. That was someone else’s fairytale.

Or was it?

Because for quite a while, Hannah Barlowe had been trying to figure out what floor those storybooks that hit her on the head came from. When Hannah finally figures it out, she takes the pile to Jennifer’s apartment only to be met with one sentence and a slamming door: There’s no such thing as fairytales.
Hannah may be 39, but Hannah believes in fairytales, and in Hannah’s world, no eight-year-old is allowed to say that there is no such thing as fairytales. Jennifer is going to learn, no matter how long it takes.

(I kind of lost my inspiration towards the end)
Next: The Gate of the Stars or The Key to the Ocean

2 Likes

The Key To The [name_u]Ocean[/name_u]

“When the oceans turn to ice, when what is false seems real, the new brother shall bring forth a time of war and the return of magic.” Her voice echoed strangely, and for a moment I swore I smelt salt in the air.

“Uh… very cool, Grandma, but what the heck does that mean?” [name_f]Cora[/name_f] asked, glancing warily at the door.

Mother never approved of anything even remotely related to magic — or anything we did, come to think of it.

[name_f]Coral[/name_f] and [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] (well, everyone insists on calling her that — ‘Dolphin’ is apparently too ridiculous of a name for any young girl) [name_m]Coburn[/name_m] grew up hearing the strangest sorts of things from their grandmother and being told that magic would be insanely dangerous if it were real.

Which it most certainly isn’t.

But their grandma’s latest cryptic message to the sisters is stranger than most. [name_u]Or[/name_u] now it is, because Coral’s best friend returns from a half-term holiday on the coast claiming that it was freezing. [name_u]Frost[/name_u] on the windows, snow upon the sand… and ice in the sea that wouldn’t melt.

During [name_f]May[/name_f].

It’s obvious to everyone that something is seriously wrong, but the [name_m]Coburn[/name_m] sisters know just a little bit more than everyone else. So when asking their grandma if she can tell them how to prevent her prophecy from coming to pass yields a tale about a ‘key to the ocean’ and a strange picture that appears to be from the future, they’re determined to use what little information they have to change the fate of the world.

Of course, they failed to consider that consulting a seer about stopping prophecies they made may not give you good results… but surely it won’t be that bad, right?

Next: The [name_u]Forest[/name_u] of [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f] [name_u]Magic[/name_u] or A [name_f]Heart[/name_f] of [name_u]Ice[/name_u] and [name_f]Fear[/name_f]

2 Likes

A [name_f]Heart[/name_f] of [name_u]Ice[/name_u] and [name_f]Fear[/name_f]

In the old fairy tale, the [name_u]Snow[/name_u] Queen’s plan is foiled by the power of love. Such is the way of stories like it… but does the same logic apply outside a book’s pages?

[name_u]Magic[/name_u] mirrors and deadly triple-kisses and incredible quests filled with more magic – both for good and for evil – sound like insanity, but [name_f]Gabriela[/name_f] Rast is suddenly very sure that she’s in the midst of that very madness. Having clawed her way free of the house of eternal summer on her way to save her missing friend [name_u]Kody[/name_u] [name_u]Yarrow[/name_u], she resolves to change the ending of her story.

The [name_u]Snow[/name_u] [name_f]Queen[/name_f] must die.

As for what’s meant to happen after that, she isn’t quite sure. [name_u]Winter[/name_u] is pretty damn important, after all, but when its ruler kidnapped her best friend, it’s rather hard to think rationally.

Of course, she is basically in a real-life fairy tale, so maybe thinking rationally is too much to hope for.

Getting rid of the [name_u]Snow[/name_u] [name_f]Queen[/name_f] for good is the only thing she wants to do now. And if the change in motivation for her quest ices begins to turn her heart cold, if it brings nothing but fear and anger to the boil, to the surface…

Is there any hope for [name_u]Kody[/name_u]?

(Will those following in the shadows be unable to stop [name_f]Gabriela[/name_f] from becoming the next Queen?)

(In the end, they’re the same question.)

Next: Lost Stars or Endless [name_f]Summer[/name_f] Secrets

1 Like

Lost Stars
No one suspects that the stars are missing when the sky slowly begins to dim. After all, who could do that?
But, night by night, there seems to be less starlight, the glowing dots against ink-blue slowly diminishing.
Everyone thinks that it’s just “a cloud” or “light pollution.” But [name_u]Haley[/name_u] Miln knows what’s going on. The stars are being taken out of existence. Their only question is: how?
The mystery only gets bigger when planets start disappearing too, starting with [name_u]Neptune[/name_u], then Uranus.
They never thought they would have a mystery to solve.

[name_u]Will[/name_u] [name_u]Haley[/name_u] solve it before [name_f]Earth[/name_f] is obliterated, or will everything they love go up in smoke?

Next: Upside down