Titles!

Hi, all! I’m almost done with my first novel, and while I don’t plan to try to publish it because it’s my first and I’m just a teenager, I do want to give it a title. I’m completely stuck, though. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you all come up with titles? [name_f]Do[/name_f] any of you enjoy this process? What advice do you have on making titles that aren’t super cheesy? Thank you, everyone!!

This is interesting, because for me, the titles come to me very early in the writing process. Maybe try thinking back to when your story was just a basic idea, the first concept. Think about the emotion behind that original thought, and see if it sparks a certain title. What does your audience need to know about your story? What will draw them in? What can you do to separate your title from every other book on the shelf? I’ve personally been loving one word titles recently, because they are easier to remember and often times less corny.

2 Likes

For me, the title is usually the last words of the story I write. I like using titles that come directly from the piece. It could be a phrase, a sentence, a quote from one of the characters… something like that.

Do you care to give a brief synopsis of your work, or some rough character descriptions/names? Maybe we can give you a few suggestions.

2 Likes

Titles are sooooooo hard for me! I usually come up with one early In the writing process, but sometimes change it because it doesn’t fit. I like my titles to fit the feeling of the story. Here’s an example: I have one story that ends a tragedy and it is called I Bid You Adieu. (It takes place in the 1600s.).

You could also use the name of your main character, if it fits for the title.

I would just make sure your title fits your genre.

When coming up with titles I like to look at title generators. You can get a lot of ideas from them and play off some of the titles they give you.

I wish you luck!!!

4 Likes

Look through titles on your book shelf and sort of think how those titles apply to the story.

2 Likes

I use the title advice from Spilling Ink by [name_u]Anne[/name_u] Mazer and [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], it’s a good book that I use advice from a lot.

1 Like

Thank you so much!! I actually finally came up with a title for my first novel (I just finished it :)), but it’s something I will definitely need for my second. Thank you!!