TLC I didn't know I was pregnant

I normally don’t watch I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant, but yesterday or the day before I watched the last 5 minutes of an episode. It was kind of interesting and fascinating, yet strange and different and a bit creepy.

Did you or someone you know not know that you were pregnant? What do you think of the TV show, I Didn’t Know I was Pregnant? Any other thoughts?

I always thought that show was ridiculous until one day one of my co-workers and I had to drive somewhere for work… about 30 minutes after we left our job we got a phone call that one of our other co-workers had gone into labor.

She was perfectly fine before we left, and we didnt realize she was pregnant. She didnt know either!!!

It was amazing to me.

My friends always argue “how can you not know? You won’t have your period… thats a pretty big clue!” But, that arguement wouldn’t work for everyon. Like me for example, because mine are really irregular. Sometimes there will be stretches of time where it comes once every month, and other times it can go for several months without it.

I dont ever think about it until its been a few months… and then I remember my co-worker and freak out a little thinking to myself “what if I’m halfway through a pregnancy?!” lol

Of course… I’m not. lol

I know two people that gave birth and did not know they were pregnant. The first one was an acquaintance. She went to the hospital one day for excruciating cramps, and she left a few days later with a baby girl. She says that she got her period the whole time, and she never looked pregnant, maybe gained ten pound. She is very tall, so I think that helped to hide the bump. Only symptom she reported was feeling tired, which doesn’t really scream pregnancy.

The other person I have never met, but she is on my in-laws side of the family. She also made it to the hospital, but nobody knew she was pregnant. She is schizophrenic, and very obese which might explain why the mother never noticed. Her daughter ended up being adopted by another family member. She is the sweetest little girl.

I used to watch this show quite a bit. It does seem extraordinary that a woman might go a whole 9 months without knowing she is pregnant, but I think it is more common than most people think.

I knew someone that had this happen to her. She was having pains in her leg and went to the hospital. There she was told that she was pregnant and about to give birth. The next day she had a healthy baby girl.

When asked if she ever felt the baby moving, she said she thought that she just had really bad gas! She was a larger lady and only got her period a few times a year. She had been told that she couldn’t have children, so the thought that she could be pregnant never occurred to her.

I have never known anyone who has made it to term but I do know two people who didn’t find out about their pregnancies until 5 months in one case and 8 months in another. And I personally didn’t realize I was pregnant until about 5 weeks because I had spotting that looked a lot like a period. If I hadn’t been undergoing fertility treatments it might have been a few more weeks before I missed another period and finally took a pregnancy test!

This happened to my cousin. Her AND my aunt went in to the hospital thinking they both had some awful flu, well my aunt did but my cousin did not. She left the hospital 3 days later with a baby girl. She spotted the whole time during her pregnancy and since she was irregular she thought nothing of it.

I have never seen a person who did not know they were pregnant :slight_smile:
If it has happened to me, it might be very ridiculous or something.
I would feel a baby like a stranger.

It does seem that it is more common than we realize. My sister-in-law didn’t know she was pregnant until after she had given birth. She just had a baby the year before and just didn’t lose any weight. We saw her during the pregnancy and she looked normal, and she said she bled monthly. She thought she was just having digestive problems when the baby was delivered at her mother-in-law’s. Her story is actually on this show this season. I couldn’t imagine being pregnant and not knowing, but i guess it is possible.

I think I have the opposite… I ALWAYS am thinking I am pregnant! For the last year and a half I have had [name]Mirena[/name] and constantly think I am pregnant, even though it is very rare. I have taken three pregnancy tests but still in the back of my mind I worry that I am pregnant and don’t know it! This will sound weird, but often now I am super in tune to what my body feels like, especially since my pregnancy, and if I feel movement in my belly I think, “oh wow!” and then I realize I do have gas, just like in the show! Plus I have put on about 10 lbs since I stopped nursing.

The good news is that I just had [name]Mirena[/name] removed so we can try for #2 so soon to be actually PG hopefully! :slight_smile:

Forgive me if this sounds silly, but what’s [name]Mirena[/name]??

it’s an IUD.

I’m always so surprised by these stories. For me, not having a period felt like the least of my symptoms: Pregnancy was a full-body experience that affected me from my sinuses all the way down to my feet, to say nothing of the big, round, constantly-shifting baby belly! I guess I can understand a sort of “perfect storm” of absent systems–no obvious bump, history of irregular periods or spotting, etc.–but I can’t help thinking the biggest reason for many of these unknown pregnancies was a heavy dose of denial.

I’ve never known anyone irl who didn’t realize she was pregnant for an entire pregnancy, but I have known a couple women who didn’t find out until the second trimester.

I can believe it!

With my son, I felt pregnant right away. I felt awful throughout the entire pregnancy.

But with this pregnancy? Nope. I’m 12 weeks, with very few symptoms, all of which can be explained by other things. In the past, I’ve gone as much as two and a half months without a period and wasn’t pregnant, so it would have taken awhile for me to realize there was something going on. If I hadn’t been purposely trying, I wouldn’t have taken an hpt for quite awhile, and might still not know!

I have a friend who experienced this. One day around [name]Christmas[/name] she collapsed and had a seizure… They rushed her to the emergency
room and the doctors said she was pregnant and suffering from pre-eclempsia (spelling?)… No one had any idea that she was pregnant,
nor did she. They had to life flight her to Oregon where she gave birth to a tiny 2 pound baby girl. Apparently, she had two uteruses and the baby was tucked way in the back, that’s why she didn’t have a belly. She was so tiny and after she was born, she kept her legs
curled up all the time when she was sleeping just like she did in the womb :).

Wow, this is amazing. My twins are 2 months old today!

I didn’t know I was pregnant with number 1 until nearly 5 months in! I only tested in the end because I’d put on so much weight in my FACE that people were asking me if I was pregnant!
I have had the most widely varying experiences of pregnancy.

I have to say, I think I’d be devastated to miss out on the whole 9 months of it. However tiring, painful, lethargic, bloated, heavy, sleepless etc. etc. pregnancy can be, the feeling that I’d missed out on all the growing, scans, kicks etc. would devastate me. [name]Do[/name] these women typically get post-traumatic stress or anything?

Ps. suzypink my son was born two days before your twins!

I’m sorry but I believe that women on this show are just severely out of touch with their bodies. I’m always irregular with my periods and I’m a bigger person, not obese but larger framed and I knew at 6 weeks I was pregnant. You just have a feeling. And now being 39 weeks, how in the world could you mistake a baby moving for gas?? My baby moves so hard sometimes it hurts like hell…and you can actually feel a foot or a butt pressing against you.

Re: jackielou

I agree that it sounds sort of ridiculous and the pregnancies that are featured on this show are for the most part completely irregular and pretty rare. However, if you had never had a child and never thought you were going to, you probably wouldn’t be in tune to pregnancy symptoms in the first place. Especially, if you didn’t show and had a lot of “insulation” around your waist line, albeit muscle or fat. With every new symptom, most moms-to-be worriedly ask around to find out what’s normal and what’s not, so even a lot of women that know they’re pregnant, aren’t sure of what to expect.

BTW, the lady I was referring to in an earlier post wasn’t just larger; she actually was obese. I don’t think that she was overly concerned with her own health or regularly saw a doctor. She was in her early 40’s and had gone her whole life thinking that a pregnancy was out of the question. I saw her when she was 6 months pregnant and had no idea that she was carrying. Her little girl is truly her “miracle baby.”

Personally, there’s no way I could not know I was pregnant right now. (I’m 37 weeks. Yay!) I, too, just had a feeling when I got pregnant and knew right away, but not everyone is like that.

That show always drives me nuts, I mean honestly, dont you know somethings wrong when they move or kick…its got to feel like more than Gas.

My aunt didnt know she was pregnant till she was about 6 months ago, she was in her 40s and had been told she would never have kids, her first husband and her went thru a few years of fertility treatments and nothing worked so she stopped trying. One night on New years eve with my Uncle and Bam…shes pregnant lol. She thought she was going thru Menopause till he kicked her and started moving alot…she paniced and thought she had cancer and went to the dr. Fainted when they told her she was pregnant! [name]Bradley[/name] [name]Michael[/name] is now 15 years old