To honor a Basil

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], Berries! I was just checking my list out and there is a few honor names that I want to use, but there is this one in particular, to honor my grandfather. He was the most important person in my life, his name was a [name_m]Basil[/name_m] and he didn’t have a middle. I don’t like the name, I know a lot of people on Nameberry like it a lot, but it is just not for me. But, I would love to find ways to honor him. Girl or boy, I don’t mind, btw I’m not expecting or anything. Thanks!

There are a lot of different ways you could go with this. Here are a few possibilities:

Names with similar meanings (king or royal) or other forms of Basil: Vasily, Vasilica, Basilio, Baz, Vasilka, Basile, Eric, Arthur, Brendan, Donald, Charles, Frederick, Henry, Reina, Regina, Roy, Ryan, Sarah, Rory, Reagan, Rex, Royal, Adelaide, Kenrik, Payton, Royce, Riona, Zara, Sabrina, Rhiannon, Tiana, Juno, Tatiana

Names using a lot of the same letters: Sybil, Sybilla, Bastien, Sebastian, Cyril, Cecil, Avril, Gail, Merril, Vail

Types of basil: Opal, Minnette, Sheba, Pistou, Amethyst, Dani, Rubin, Osmin, Lemon, Lime

Other herbs: Rosemary, Mint, Clover, Sage, Bay, Cassia, Lavender, Fennel, Saffron, Anise, Hazel, Mace, Persil (parsley), Thyme, Bryony

Green: Emerald, Chloe, Apple, Fern, Peridot, Forest, Jade, Spruce, Kale/Cale, Elm, Hunter, Kelly, Loden, Moss, Myrtle, Teal, Midori, Verde, Verdant, Cypress, Juniper, Olive, Ivy

It’s lovely that you want to honour your grandfather :slight_smile: I can see why [name_m]Basil[/name_m] would be a tricky name to honour; it doesn’t have automatic ties to other names that you might like more, like [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] to [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] or [name_f]Bella[/name_f], or [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] to [name_m]Bennett[/name_m], [name_u]Jamie[/name_u], or [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. So you might have to stretch it a little, which is fine!

Suggestions based on sound:
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]/[name_m]Sebastien[/name_m]/[name_m]Bastien[/name_m]/[name_f]Bastienne[/name_f]/[name_m]Bastian[/name_m]/[name_f]Bastina[/name_f] (all contain “bas”)
[name_m]Silas[/name_m] (contains “sil”)
[name_u]Asa[/name_u]
[name_f]Basia[/name_f]
[name_m]Basilio[/name_m]
[name_f]Basilia[/name_f]
[name_u]Bailey[/name_u]/[name_m]Baley[/name_m]
[name_m]Basile[/name_m]
[name_f]Basilie[/name_f]

Suggestions based on meaning (the meaning of [name_m]Basil[/name_m] is “regal”):
[name_u]Rex[/name_u] (“king”)
[name_f]Regina[/name_f] (“queen”)
[name_u]Reagan[/name_u]/[name_u]Regan[/name_u] (“little king”)
[name_u]Kingsley[/name_u] ("king’s meadow)
[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] (“divine queen”)
[name_u]Royce[/name_u] (“son of the king”)
[name_f]Tiana[/name_f] (“fairy queen”)
[name_f]Morrigan[/name_f] (“phantom queen”)
[name_m]Eric[/name_m]/[name_m]Erik[/name_m] (“eternal ruler”)
[name_u]Ryan[/name_u] (“little king”)
[name_f]Mira[/name_f] (“female ruler”)
[name_m]Walter[/name_m](“army ruler”)

I hope this helped!

My immediate first thought was that you could use another herb name like [name_u]Sage[/name_u] or [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], which a pp already suggested :slight_smile:

Thank you all! I am definitely adding [name_f]Regina[/name_f], [name_f]Zara[/name_f] and [name_f]Mira[/name_f] to my list. I also like [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. I love [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], it is one of my favorite boy names, but it is my uncle’s name and I am not sure if I will be able to use it because of that.