To match or not to match (naming multiples)

i’m curious about everyone’s philosophy behind naming multiples! how would you name twins/triplets/etc?

would you give them the same starting letter, maybe the same meaning, same origin, or try to match them another way? would you give them different firsts and matching middles, or vice versa? would you give them totally different names entirely? why?

if you have names for multiples picked out drop those too!! gimme all your thoughts!

5 Likes

I have constant arguments with myself about this! In my opinion I’d prefer to name siblings that are not multiples with the same first letter (ex. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] + [name_f]Evie[/name_f]), I’ve always thought that was sweet.

For multiples I like to pair the style and I look for names that just sound good together! I think matching middle names is also a good idea🙂 Some of my favorites for twins would be…

Wren [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] + [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

Rosalie [name_f]Fern[/name_f] + [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]

Henry [name_u]August[/name_u] + [name_u]Milo[/name_u] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]

Finley [name_m]Jack[/name_m] + [name_f]Olive[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]

2 Likes

I like when multiples’ names link together in some way. For example

• Origin ([name_u]Noor[/name_u] and [name_m]Sharif[/name_m])

• Meaning ([name_f]Ruth[/name_f] and [name_m]Darwin[/name_m])

• Theme ([name_f]Hope[/name_f] and [name_m]Prosper[/name_m])

• Anagrams (Aidan & Nadia)

Some may find it cheesy - especially the “theme” one - but I like it that way, especially because you can get very creative and it doesn’t have to be obvious.

For example, for me [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m], [name_u]Rousseau[/name_u] and [name_f]Eglantine[/name_f] are all theme-y names, because they come from the surnames of people involved or having impact on the events of the [name_u]French[/name_u] Revolution. Someone who doesn’t know that much about this period in history may not notice it at first.

I generally make combos that have theme-y firsts and middles unrelated to eachother, but with a simillar feel/style.

I do not think naming multiples requires using different intials. [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] and [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], for example, would be just fine by me. [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] and [name_m]Ajax[/name_m] would feel meh, because the style and feel of both names is completely different. The only thing I DEFINITELY say no to is rhyming (Shelby & Darby, Brandon & Landon etc.)

I would try to keep the style consistent, but I wouldn’t want the names to have a similar sound. (which is something I am failing to do while creating my hypothetical sibsets).

2 Likes

They’re already going to be lumped together as “the twins/ multiples” so I don’t think they need to be connected by the same initial. I, also, think they shouldn’t be too similar in sound (like [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Della[/name_f] or something).

Basically, I think you should name them as you would any set of siblings. I think the style should be similar (like [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]).

For example, it would be weird to see [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m] and [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] and I would really dislike [name_f]Ava[/name_f] and [name_f]Alivia[/name_f].

1 Like

I like matchy in terms of starting letter, theme, stuff like that but not sound. So I like [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] and [name_f]Hope[/name_f] but not [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] and [name_f]Hallie[/name_f].

Some of my favorites are [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] (same meaning), [name_m]Malik[/name_m] and [name_f]Kaia[/name_f] (one ends/one starts with K), and [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_u]Noa[/name_u] (same origins + [name_f]Chava[/name_f] is so sweet with [name_u]Noa[/name_u]!)

2 Likes

The only thing that matters to me is that they match in terms of style. I didn’t want mine to have the same first initial (though I think if there was ever a time for siblings to share an initial it would be with twins).

My twins ended up having names with similar ending sounds so I feel like that links them even though it was unintentional.

Funny enough, no one refers to them as “the twins” but maybe that’s because they aren’t identical.
Maybe identical vs fraternal matters a bit when it comes to naming too.
Mine are so different that there’s really no way for them to get mixed up. :joy:

1 Like

I like them to all have a common letter or sound that ties them together.

E.g.

• Clark, [name_m]Cole[/name_m], and [name_m]Leo[/name_m]
  • Claire and [name_f]Alice[/name_f]
  • Tess and [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]

I don’t like themey pairings.
E.g.

• Sage and [name_f]Olive[/name_f]
  • Hunter and [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]
  • Violet and [name_f]Ebony[/name_f]
  • Paris and [name_u]London[/name_u]
  • Ivy and [name_f]Lily[/name_f]
1 Like

This is such a fun topic! I like twin names to go together but in a subtle and special way.

One of my brothers and my sister are twins so if I’m ever blessed with a boy/girl pair they’ll get the same middle names as my brother and sister.

I love the thought of anagrams but I’ve gone through behind the name’s entire list and only like two sets ([name_u]Blaise[/name_u] & [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] & [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]), both of which I’m pretty meh on.

If I had bb or gg twins I think I’d try to find a pair of family names to give them. Ex if grandpas were named [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] I’d name the boys [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] [name_u]Laurence[/name_u], though this would be entirely dependent on grandparent name compatibility.

If I ever have triplet girls I want to give them names meaning clement, loving, and sweet which is how [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is described in my favorite prayer of the rosary. I think I’d have at least a few months to work on it, but today I’d go with [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Sadhbh[/name_f] (rhymes with 5).

3 Likes

As a twin I feel like having a connection isn’t a problem but there is such a thing as too much of a connection. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t give your children the exact same first and middle initials, don’t give them names that rhyme or are like 1 letter different.
I knew a [name_u]Bradley[/name_u] and [name_f]Brandy[/name_f] that was too much
Saw a clip of 16 and pregnant with twins [name_u]Ali[/name_u] and [name_f]Aleah[/name_f] also too close for me
[name_f]My[/name_f] parents had my name chosen and were looking for a name for my sister they decided to start with names that started with the same letter. If they hadn’t found a name they liked they would’ve moved on. Overall I think if you want to use some sort of connection as a way to search for a name that can be helpful but don’t force yourself to connect the names if you can’t find a name you love.

3 Likes

I have always dreamed of having twins/triplets so I think about this often. I don’t think I would do something too obvious like [name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] and [name_f]April[/name_f] for example, but matching letters or ending sounds would be pretty and not too “in your face.” [name_u]Or[/name_u] even names from the same time period!
I knew many twins growing up and the only ones who seemingly “matched” were twins named [name_f]Molly[/name_f] and [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], and I guess you could say they were from the same time period. :slight_smile:
I think matching middle names is cute and a great way to honor their “twin-ness.”
If I had twins/triplets right now, I probably wouldn’t name them together (unless the names sounded absolutely horrible together).
Twin girls: [name_u]January[/name_u] [name_f]Dianne[/name_f] and [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] ([name_u]January[/name_u] and [name_f]Ireland[/name_f])
Triplet girls: [name_u]January[/name_u] [name_f]Dianne[/name_f], [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] AnnMarie ([name_u]January[/name_u], [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f])
Twin boys: [name_u]Christian[/name_u] [name_u]Jay[/name_u] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] ([name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_u]Teddy[/name_u])
Triplet boys: [name_u]Christian[/name_u] [name_u]Jay[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] Garnier ([name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] and [name_u]Sully[/name_u])

1 Like

I would try to have a special connection between the names more so than I would for siblings. But I would be careful to have them be distinct since they are likely to be in the same class in school. I wouldn’t do the same initials for this reason. I like [name_f]Ava[/name_f] and [name_f]Zoey[/name_f]! Both mean life and I like the A-Z connection.

I get what you’re saying. I knew a [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] and [name_u]Holly[/name_u] growing up.

I wouldn’t want my names to be super matchy matchy but they would definitely sound good together.

A few of my favs to mix and match

Zachary [name_m]Lance[/name_m]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_f]Katelyn[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] [name_m]Will[/name_m]
[name_u]November[/name_u] [name_u]Jay[/name_u]

1 Like

I haven’t thought about naming multiples but just from the sibsets I’ve been trying to put together I think I want:

• distinctly different sounds
  • stylistically similar (could be linked by a very broad theme eg. nature, but nothing too specific/obvious eg. flowers)
  • names that feel Equally “cool” or “retro” or whatever the feeling is, I just want it to feel equal and fair. I have struggled with this the most. I’ve never been able to forget a friend expressing the jealousy she felt as a child over her sister’s name. I want to avoid this for my own kids if I can (no guarantees but at least I’m trying, right?!)
1 Like

I prefer to name my kids, regardless of if they are singles or multiples, with their own individual names. I don’t want them to be too different, seemingly like they are from different families, but I don’t want them to be matchy or similar either.

All my kids will have names that meet certain guidelines, but beyond that each name will be honoring family/friends or something that is important/beloved to us.

2 Likes

I’d name them same as any siblings.

2 Likes

I’d probably just give them names I love, but I’d try to pick the same ~style~ of name, more than I would with siblings, but I’d probably give them different beginning letters even though that isn’t important to me otherwise. I want to do honour middles but for multiples I’d really like there to be some connection, like them both/all having one middle that’s themed but still an honour, if that makes sense?
Eg. [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f] & [name_f]Sienna[/name_f] [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] - [name_f]Opal[/name_f] and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] are both honours for me, but it’s a definite theme
I also really like when twins have a middle that starts with the same letter as their twin’s first name
Eg. [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_u]Riley[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] & [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m]

1 Like

I would probably name them with …

middles theme - such as nature names e.g. alani rain + naia rose
themed meanings - such as water names e.g. mira + kai
sharing a consonant - such as the letter n e.g. nora, linus + milan
same style - such as vintage names elsie, agnes + hazel
same amount of syllables - vivienne + mirabelle

I’d probably give them different first names, but with the same style, with the same initial for the middle names, i.e.: [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] [name_u]Addison[/name_u] and [name_f]Lacey[/name_f] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]