To match or not to match (naming multiples)

I would probably give them names that share style without being too similar. Like my top 1 for triplet girls, [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] & [name_f]Geraldine[/name_f]/Eleonore
But I do also like names that is totally different but still work together, like my top 1 for BG twins, [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] & [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m].

I’d probably give them themed names, a matching middle name initial, honor the same person, have the same amount of letters or have the first names both include at least 2 of the same letters! Sets that I like…

Daisy [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] & [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] & [name_f]Belle[/name_f] [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] & [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Hattie[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] & [name_f]Marnie[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] & [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] & [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] (Not so realistic for me)
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] & [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]/Lily [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] & [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] & [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] & [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] [name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Hattie[/name_f] [name_f]Flora[/name_f] & [name_f]Millie[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f]

Lily [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] & [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Belle[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] & [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]

Marnie [name_f]Opal[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Odette[/name_f] & [name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] & [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]

1 Like

I probably wouldn’t do anything matchy but I’d want them to feel cohesive. So two long names or two short names ([name_f]Ilaria[/name_f] and [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] or [name_f]Sarai[/name_f] and [name_f]Cherith[/name_f] for example)

When I named my twins ([name_m]Leonid[/name_m] Pythagoras & [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] Zakynthos), all I was sure of was that I didn’t want them to have very matchy names, and I didn’t want their names to start with the same letter. Other than that, I guess I just wanted their names to sound good together. Our twins ended up having first names with some repeated sounds and they’re both linked to astrology in a subtle way. Their middle names are both Greek and unusual. But there wasn’t a big philosophy behind it. And our [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] could have been named [name_m]Laertes[/name_m], in which case they would’ve started with the same letter anyway.

If they had been one of either gender, their names would probably have been [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] Pythagoras (I just love it too much) and [name_f]Elizaveta[/name_f] [name_f]Eurydice[/name_f]. Two girls could well have been [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] [name_f]Eurydice[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizaveta[/name_f] [name_f]Salome[/name_f].

If I had multiples I’d want both names to have a similar style, or to be connected in more subtle, personal way. I personally don’t care whether or not they start with the same letter if they are names I really love. I think if you want to use names that have the same initial go for it, however don’t force it just to have matchy names. I would avoid names that are very obviously themed (e.g [name_f]Summer[/name_f] and [name_u]Winter[/name_u]) or have a rhymey sound. And if they had the same first initial than I wouldn’t give them the same middle initial and vice versa.

The names I would probably give twin girls right now would be:
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f] and [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u]. [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] were martyrs who died together for their faith, [name_f]Belle[/name_f] and [name_u]Anne[/name_u] are one syllable and after fictional characters who share a love of literature.
If I had boy twins there names would be:
[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Campion[/name_u] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Alban[/name_m] [name_u]Theo[/name_u]. St. [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_u]Campion[/name_u] and St. [name_m]Alban[/name_m] [name_f]Roe[/name_f] were [name_f]English[/name_f] martyrs who were canonized together. St. [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] of [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u]’s feast day is my mom’s birthday and St. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]’s feast day is Remembrance [name_u]Day[/name_u], an day equally dear to my heart

1 Like

I would just use names that sound nice together and are the same style.

For naming twins I would just use whatever names are at the top of my list and call it a day. I think most of the names I like sound nice together in general so that helps.

I have two sets of multiples: [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Hallie[/name_f] & [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_u]Teagan[/name_u] and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] [name_f]Maren[/name_f] & [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] [name_u]Blake[/name_u].

So obviously we haven’t gone for themes but it was a possibility. We were almost going to switch around [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] to [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] but we changed our minds at the last minute. If we kept it a [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] we would’ve used nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] to go with [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Eva[/name_f]’ and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]’ so they would all have nns.

Out of context my eldest daughter is [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f] so [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Hallie[/name_f] has inverted initials which is an idea that I quite like.

Matching initials for the fn can be really sweet but DH doesn’t really like it so I had to compromise but I of course have some fn combos up my sleeve:

Mia & [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u] & [name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] & [name_u]Dana[/name_u]
[name_u]Alexis[/name_u] & [name_f]April[/name_f]
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u] & [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]

Finley ‘[name_u]Finn[/name_u]’ & [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] ‘[name_u]Freddy[/name_u]’
[name_m]Brody[/name_m] & [name_u]Blake[/name_u]
[name_m]Archie[/name_m] & [name_u]August[/name_u] ‘[name_m]Augie[/name_m]’
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m] & [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] & [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] / [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] & [name_u]Chandler[/name_u]

Lacey & [name_m]Lucien[/name_m]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] & [name_u]Gene[/name_u]
[name_u]Reagan[/name_u] & [name_m]Romeo[/name_m]
[name_u]Sacha[/name_u] & [name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Jacoba[/name_f] & [name_u]Jensen[/name_u]

I love a matching name set, both for multiples and for other sibsets. Themes can subtle or obvious, but I love them regardless.
[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite twin names are:
[name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_m]Rhett[/name_m] and [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_u]Ode[/name_u] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Sonnet[/name_f]
[name_f]Dawn[/name_f] [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] and [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_f]Annalise[/name_f]
[name_m]Cornell[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Clinton[/name_m] [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
I tend to like matching beginning or ending sounds and meanings or origins. Names that share two or three characteristics really stand out to me.

1 Like

Okay, I know this is months old, but I was just looking at this thread, and I LOVE this!! Mother Mary is absolutely amazing! How sweet!

1 Like

Thank you! I absolutely love your girls combos and UC. It’s never too late for some [name_u]Marian[/name_u] love :two_hearts:

1 Like

Aww, thanks so much! I love yours, too, especially [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] and [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]!

1 Like

I think it depends on the amount of multiples. I think the more of them there are, the more different the names would be. Take twins for example, I would probably do similar ish first names but completely different middle names so I might do River Blake and Wren Savannah. River and Wren. I might also be tempted to do opposite initials for example Melody Rae and Rosella Mae. The names sound good together without being too themey but they still have a connection. I might do same starting letter as long as the names themselves were noticeably different like Zoey and Zander or Royal and Ridge. I would never do it so that the names rhymed or had too much of a similar ending. I might do Alaska and Estella but I would never do Estella and Rosella because half the names would be the same rather than one letter.

For triplets it would also depend as well. If it was 3 girls or 3 boys I would make less of an effort to match the names either by meaning, origin or starting letter because there is even more of them to get confused. I certainly wouldn’t do the same ending sound but I would be tempted to have the same starting letter (again as long as the actual names sounded different). Take the triplets in Brave for example. Their names are Harris, Hubert and Hamish. I honestly don’t think their too bad as they all sound good together, the names have different nicknames and they share something in common to represent that they’re triplets (the h at the beginning). That being said it would be nice for them to have totally different names so I might do Melody Lake, Rosella Rain and Alaska Blue. Their first names sound nice together whilst still being different and their middle names all relate to water.

I would also probably give them 2 middle names each. Obviously it would make the naming process harder but once they had their names it would make them even more personalised and special and even more different from the rest.

I went way overboard with this lol