To use a popular name or not?

I am considering using [name]Riley[/name] for my second child (if a boy) due in [name]June[/name]. It is my mothers maiden name and I have always loved it. However, I am slightly put off as it is very popular here in Australia (4/100 in top 100 list). I really wanted to keep away from popular names but should I forget about this if I love the name???

I understand the fear of popularity. However, I think that family ties trumps popularity every time. As [name]Riley[/name] is so important to you, it’s popularity would be made up for. Why not use [name]Riley[/name] as a middle name? That way you can stick with it, but its popularity won’t be out in the front?

That’s a great idea!

My plan was to use [name]Riley[/name] as the middle name this time round but I (we) can’t seem to find a first name we love:)

I wish we could find a first name we love!!

I agree with using it as a middle name…Gl

That’s a great idea![/quote]

Ditto! :slight_smile: If you love [name]Riley[/name], I hope you use it!

If you choose to use [name]Riley[/name] in the middle instead, some first names you may like:

([name]Edit[/name]: I totally missed the part about you having a little [name]Harrison[/name], so I accidentally suggested [name]Harrison[/name] and a bunch of other -son names originally. Sorry about that! I love [name]Harrison[/name], by the way!)

[name]Beckett[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Riley[/name] (N ending like [name]Harrison[/name], though…)
[name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Riley[/name] (Oops! I wrote this before I read about you having a [name]Harrison[/name]…Sorry about that!)
[name]Finnian[/name] [name]Riley[/name] (nn [name]Finn[/name])
[name]James[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]William[/name] [name]Riley[/name] (See [name]Benjamin[/name]…It may not be a big deal, but [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Harrison[/name] and [name]William[/name] [name]Harrison[/name] were both US Presidents…)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Stay AWAY from popular names. You can use [name]Riley[/name] as a middle name because its a family name. Seriously though popular names are annoying in school with kids having to be [name]Riley[/name] A. or [name]Riley[/name] J.

If it has family meaning to you, i wouldn’t be too worried about using a popular name. However, i do agree with everyones suggestion of using it as a middle instead. I may add as well that, i dont think that [name]Harrison[/name] and [name]Riley[/name] have the same “feel”, [name]Harrison[/name] being a traditional name and [name]Riley[/name] being very modern and new, so it makes for a kid of unusual sibset. [name]Just[/name] another thing to consider!
Here are some names that i think go well with [name]Harrison[/name], using [name]Riley[/name] as the middle!

[name]Weston[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Hunter[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Forbes[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Camden[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Miller[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Crawford[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Everett[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Kenneth[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Kingston[/name] [name]Riley[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

I think if you love it and it has family meaning then you should use it. [name]Just[/name] because the name in the the top ten doesnt mean every other child you meet will be named [name]Riley[/name]. My sister has a [name]Jacob[/name] and a [name]Joseph[/name], both of which are very popular. [name]Jacob[/name] is still the only [name]Jacob[/name] in his class, and as far as I know always has been. I hear the name [name]Jaden[/name] more then I ever hear [name]Jacob[/name]. Plus, he actually thinks it is cool that his name is so popular. [name]Harrison[/name] and [name]Riley[/name] sound great together!

I agree! Especially since my daughter has a popular name, and she is the only [name]Emily[/name] in her class!