Toby as a nickname for Thomas?

Hi Everyone,
I’m expecting my second son in [name_f]September[/name_f] and my husband and I have been struggling to agree on a name this time around. His older brother is [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] ([name_u]Eli[/name_u] for short). We both love the name [name_u]Toby[/name_u] but are not fond of [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] or [name_u]Tobin[/name_u] as much as we like the name [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], however, we are not in love with the shortened [name_m]Tom[/name_m]/Tommy. I know that nicknames might not be important but as his brother has a shortened version of his name, we want the same this time around. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister suggested having [name_u]Toby[/name_u] short for [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. What are your thoughts on the full name of [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], but nicknamed [name_u]Toby[/name_u]?

That’s what I was worried about. Although I thought it was trying to justify crossing [name_m]Tom[/name_m] with [name_u]Baby[/name_u] lol. Thanks for the input :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s too much of a stretch. I think he’ll always have to explain to people why he’s called [name_u]Toby[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. I mean of course you can do what you like but I personally prefer nicknames to be more intuitive. I think [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] and [name_u]Toby[/name_u] (as a full name) are great together!

1 Like

That’s a really good point! Thank you :slight_smile: I would totally be for just calling him [name_u]Toby[/name_u], only our surname is Ishii and I don’t think the triple “I” works either. I think we need to go back to the drawing board some more

That could work! Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

I think you can definitely use [name_u]Toby[/name_u] if [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] has a B middle name

Thomas [name_m]Bertram[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Blake[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Blair[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Beau[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Bjorn[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Bentley[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Briar[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Bennett[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Brady[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Brody[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_f]Brinkley[/name_f]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Brinley[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Byron[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Barrett[/name_u]

Two more names you could use the nn [name_u]Toby[/name_u] for
[name_f]October[/name_f]
[name_u]Tobin[/name_u]

I see [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and [name_u]Toby[/name_u] as totally different names. It could be quite confusing for people. I think [name_u]Toby[/name_u] works on its own :slight_smile:

I never even thought of using a name like [name_f]October[/name_f]. That’s actually really cool :slight_smile: [name_u]Tobin[/name_u] is our other option, especially with my dads name being [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. I wasn’t sure if it completed our first borns name [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] though.

2 Likes

Elliott and [name_u]Tobin[/name_u] are great together!

I agree with everyone else [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] “[name_u]Toby[/name_u]” is far stretched but [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] B-middle name could work.

[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] with a B middle name was my first thought as well!
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Brooks[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Beaumont[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Brave[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Bravery[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Boone[/name_m]

I think [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] works with a “B” middle name, but I also really like your idea of [name_u]Tobin[/name_u]! I think [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] “[name_u]Eli[/name_u]” and [name_u]Tobin[/name_u] “[name_u]Toby[/name_u]” would be pretty perfect together :blush:

2 Likes

You could do something like [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] or [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] nn [name_u]Toby[/name_u]. Otherwise, i think [name_u]Toby[/name_u] could stand alone and i do prefer it to [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]

I love this idea!

What about:
Thomas Bryce
Thomas Bradley
Thomas Beckham
Thomas Bay
Thomas Brannon
Thomas Blaine
Thomas Bruno
Thomas Bolton
Thomas Bradford
Thomas Brosnan
Thomas Basil
Thomas Baron
Thomas Burke
Thomas Brandon
Thomas Bodhi
Thomas Beauford
Thomas Brooklyn
Thomas Bruce
Thomas Blaze
Thomas Bellamy
Thomas Bryan
Thomas Beckett
Thomas Bernard
Thomas Benicio
Thomas Balthazar
Thomas Bartholomew
Thomas Bryant
Thomas Benedict

Why not?! Sounds perfect! We’re always throwing around a few extra letters and swapping here and there when it come to affectionate nicknames.