Toir”asa?

Has anyone ever heard of this lovely name, or better yet, have a clue how to pronounce it? I came across it today and utterly fell in love with it. It is apparently the Irish variant of [name]Teresa[/name], which is my own mother’s name. I doubt I would ever have the chance to use it, as even if [name]James[/name] and I were blessed with another little girl somewhere along the road, it would clash horribly with [name]Blake[/name]. But I am just hypnotized by it!

I looked up the name and find Toir”asa [name]Ferris[/name], Sinn F”in EU candidate on youtube… sounded like she said the name like toraysha, someone else says more like turaysha.

I googled around and found it pronounced as tore-[name]AH[/name]-sa. Maybe someone else will know more; I am not positive that the source was completely reliable. You never know on the Internet, right? Anyway, I think it’s gorgeous, too! Would definitely pose pronunciation issues, but it looks really cool on paper!

Too true, you can never know when it comes to the Internet! Thank you both for the input :slight_smile: Maybe someone more knowledgeable in Irish names than I will come along with the correct pronounciation :slight_smile: I am just really, really struck by the beauty of this name. It probably helps that my dear mom has always hated her name for one reason or another, and has more or less forbade me from ever bestowing it on a child. Maybe she’d like this better!

From the pronunciations everyone has written here, I think the name sounds very pretty. I think it’s really cool that it honors your mom!

You know, I really wish I had a better handle on Irish names. Often, I’ll look at the unfamiliar groupings of vowels and completely panic, because I feel like I need to get “hooked on phonics” or something! I really do love Irish names, though, and love being able to pronounce names like [name]Saoirse[/name] and [name]Toireasa[/name] now! :slight_smile: Woo-hoo!

Haha, that sums me up perfectly! I do have a fondness for Irish names. Sin”ad was a favorite of mine when I was a little girl :slight_smile: Like I said, I fear I would never be able to use Toir”asa as a first name, but maybe a middle!

Yeah, I love [name]Saoirse[/name] and [name]Fionnuala[/name], but I don’t know if I’d use them because of pronunciation issues. Then again… maybe it’s not such a big deal!

It’s the Irish form of [name]Theresa[/name] prn ‘tor-AY-sha’ :slight_smile:

That’s how I’ve heard it prn by an Irish man.

You are a life-saver! Thank you so much :slight_smile: Goodness, it is a beautiful name.