Toivo? Tovio?

I came across [name]Toivo[/name], a Finnish boy’s name meaning “[name]Hope[/name]” ([name]TOY[/name]-voh), while going through lists from 1910 & I wrote it down to ask my SO. My SO mistook [name]Toivo[/name] for Tovio & really latched onto the name. I like both names, [name]Toivo[/name] & Tovio, and I was wondering what the Berries thought. Is Tovio even a name? Is [name]Toivo[/name] too weird? What would you think about meeting a baby with either name? Thanks Berries!

Tovio doesn’t seem to register on any name sites from the ones I checked. That doesn’t mean it’s bad, it’s just very, very original.

Personally, I like it better than [name]Toivo[/name]. However, it largely depends on what country you’re in. If you’re in Finland, then [name]Toivo[/name] would be better. If you’re in the US, Tovio might be better, as it will probably be transposed into that anyway, given the unusual -oi vowel pairing that’s not common in English.

I kinda like Tovio. I like the sound of it better than [name]Toivo[/name]. If anyone asks, you can tell them it’s a variant of [name]Toivo[/name], or just tell them this story :wink: It is different, but it still sounds like a name, so it seems usable to me.