Tongue twisters & an ugly surname!

So I have a list of names I love but my top choice is [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]. I just love love love this name I think it’s feminine, classy, strong & I like that it has a Shakespearean and Celtic connection. I love [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] and my Dad’s family are off Celtic origin (Irish/Scottish) I also really like the meaning linked with it ‘maiden’ I just think it’s perfect. I also love Immie nickname!

I’ve posted about my list recent and the lovely berries have responded and pointed out that [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is a tongue twister with my awful surname Ramage (pronounced damage with an R) and I agree the flow is off.

So the question is would a combination being a tongue twister prevent you from using it?

I love [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] too! I think you should still use it since you love it so much. It is a tongue twister but not horribly so. I can even see it as a little quirky or dramatic sounding.

1 Like

No, I wouldn’t let it prevent me from using it. Especially because it may not be her surname forever, right? Honestly, I don’t think [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] R@mage sounds awful. It’s not the best flow, sure, but it’s really not that big of a deal. I have two cousins whose fns end in -n, while their surname begins with N, and neither flow very well with it. But it really doesn’t ruin either name, and it ends up sounding perfectly fine when you get use to it being worn by a real child.

If [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is the name you love most, then you should use it! Period. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me! Most of the time, people will just call you by your first name. Having to say the first name and the surname out loud together is limited to some specific situations and won’t affect everyday life much I don’t think.

So, would definitely still use [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] if you love it. It is an absolutely beautiful name.

Thank you for the feedback :black_heart::black_heart:

Definitely not a dealbraker for me! We have a lot of names under consideration that don’t have the greatest flow with surname but we still love them! S/O adores [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] with surname, and he thinks the alliteration makes it sound superhero like (I thought it was more [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] Duck like until he said this lol). I think if you truly love it, the flow is a minor issue.

I actually don’t think it sounds very tounge twister-y at all! [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is lovely, and you should definitely use it if you love it!

1 Like

I really don’t think it’s much of a tongue-twister. It seems perfect for your family and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] R@mage actually sounds beautifully literary, in my opinion. Plus, [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is so lovely, you shouldn’t let anyone deter you from using it!!

1 Like

It wouldn’t necessarily deter me. I don’t think [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] Ramage is tongue twister-y enough to not use it.

If I really loved it, I don’t think it would deter me. I don’t love my daughter’s first name with our surname, but DH and I loved her first and middle name, so we went with it anyway. I also don’t think [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] Ramage is that difficult to say, personally.

Imogen Ramage sounds fine to me. Yes there are shared sounds but i don’t think its the worst

Thank you for the feedback!

I think [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] Ramage sounds great! I don’t see a big or complicated tongue twist, to be honest. The first name and the surname go well together. I believe the full name will sound beautiful with the right middle name.
If you love it, use it!

I don’t think it’s problematic enough to stop yourself from using it. [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is lovely and although there are those repeated sounds, I don’t find it difficult to say at all.

1 Like

If you love it that much use it and pair with a really sweet and short middle that you always say when you use her full name perhaps? E.g.

Imogen [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f]

I sympathize. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner has a shocking surname that has ruled out some of my favourites! But you never know, you might fall just has hard for another name at some point. Have you considered any of these?

Adeline
[name_f]Aveline[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]/Amelia
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]

Thank you!

I like [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] & [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] really pretty

1 Like

They’re my favourites too!