Too close for cousins???

I have been desperately in love with the name [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] for as long as I can recall. My great-grams name was [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] and my sister is [name_f]Melissa[/name_f], so I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] that this name is a variation of both.

The problem: Three years ago, my sister in law and myself were both expecting and due within 2 weeks of each other. If we had a girl, I was pretty set on [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] for the name. They had picked [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]. Well, we had a boy and they had a girl. They named her [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] with the intent to NN her [name_f]Em[/name_f], but SOMEHOW she started getting called [name_f]Millie[/name_f]. I refuse to call her that. I call her by her full name.

Fast forward to now. We are unexpectedly expecting our 7th child, which is a girl. I still love [name_f]Millicent[/name_f]. My mother in law (bless her) doesn’t see a problem, because [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], which is far away from the name I love. I know I’m feeling a little petty about it, but I don’t want anyone in the family to think I copied my [name_m]SIL[/name_m], because they won’t know the backstory and I don’t want both girls to be called [name_f]Millie[/name_f]. While we do live in different states, this is my husbands sister, so it’s not like it would be a distant cousin.

So, what would you do??

I don’t think [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] are too close for cousins at all, but if they’re both called [name_f]Millie[/name_f], it’s a bit of a tough one. The fact that you live in different states and thus won’t see each other much makes me inclined to say you could do it, but some people just won’t be comfortable with that.

Are you set on [name_f]Millie[/name_f], or could you use [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] with another nickname? [name_f]Mila[/name_f], [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] or Lissy would work, and distinguish her from your sister in law’s [name_f]Millie[/name_f].

I don’t think they’re too close at all. No, not everyone will know the backstory, but it’s not such a big deal if a few people happen to think in the back of their minds that there may be some connection between their [name_f]Millie[/name_f] and your [name_f]Millicent[/name_f]. I like the suggestion of [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] as a different nickname. Or [name_f]Lissa[/name_f].

Oh I see your concern. On one hand they are different names and on another they’d have the same nn? And they’re first cousins… hmmm… well I too feel like I dont want anyone tontake my names or to take anyone else… we have lots of cousins and I have a similar name on our list that someonenjust used as a middle for anchild and immtorn to just ditch it or keep it… I dont like enough names so maybe keeping it… honestly they are different names and it wouldn’t be like you chose it after her baby and had your last been a girl they’d have the same names though… so maybe ask you sis in law if she thinks its too weird they’d have the same nn if you’d be ok with her nixing it… say we wanted to use the name we had picked for if ___ was a girl but now I’m wondering if it would be strange… I love it and this is why but I super dont want to steal her name… or option number two… use [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] as a middle and chose a new first… you keep it but no [name_f]Millie[/name_f]… if she really just goes by that…

I don’t think it would be a problem as long as [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] goes by a different nickname.

If [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] goes by [name_f]Mila[/name_f] or something else, I don’t see the issue. However, [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] is almost certain to, particularly in a school situation, be called [name_f]Millie[/name_f]. Kids like names with ee sounds, so I think it would be an issue if she responds to [name_f]Millie[/name_f] as well.

[name_f]Emilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] are hardly similar. It would take some serious mental gymnastics to arrive at the idea that you copied your [name_m]SIL[/name_m] because you happened to pick a name that shares a common sound with their baby’s name.

As for the nickname thing, if you don’t want your [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] to be called [name_f]Millie[/name_f], then put your foot down and say so. Not every name needs a nickname, but if you decide to use one, [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] has plenty of options.

That’s the real problem-I [name_f]DO[/name_f] want to be able to call her [name_f]Millie[/name_f]. I made that known when we had picked it for our last kiddo (that turned out to be a boy). They had picked [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] and said they were going to use [name_f]Em[/name_f] or [name_f]Emy[/name_f] for a NN, but shortly after her birth people started calling her [name_f]Millie[/name_f].

We really can’t use [name_f]Lissa[/name_f], as my sister is [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] and that’s her common NN. [name_f]Mila[/name_f] and [name_f]Mia[/name_f] seem better suited for a NN of [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], in my opinion.

Someone suggested using [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] as a MN option, which I am not against. I might play with that idea.

Appreciate all the positive feedback!