Too close to others names to use?

I love the name [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. A close family member’s name is [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], and she has a daughter with the middle name [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. Is [name_f]Clara[/name_f] stepping on there toes, so to speak, as it rhymes with [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and is similar to [name_f]Claire[/name_f]? I was thinking of asking but wanted your opinions first. I don’t want to regret it due to feeling weird about it all the time later!

I think you can definitely use it! I really like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] too.

I don’t think it’s too close! While the names rhyme, they have distinct first sounds and aren’t related. As for the [name_f]Clara[/name_f]/[name_f]Claire[/name_f] thing, if her first name was [name_f]Claire[/name_f] or she went by [name_f]Claire[/name_f], it might be different but middle names aren’t important. Again, they aren’t the same name, and how often are middle names used? More likely, the girls will see it as a cool connecting factor.

You can still ask to make sure but I don’t think you should worry about it.

If claire were her daughters first name I’d probably say it’s no go (it’d be like cousins named [name_f]Helen[/name_f] and [name_f]Helena[/name_f]) but since [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is her middle, I think it’s fine. And unless she’s a super immediate relative, like your mom or sister, I don’t think the slight rhyme of [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is really a issue either.

100% not an issue! They’re all very much their own separate names

To me [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] don’t rhyme at all. I say [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f] with an “air” sound, but [name_f]Clara[/name_f] with an “are” sound. If you go with that pronunciation, I think it’s totally different and definitely okay to use! It does have similarities with [name_f]Claire[/name_f], but because it’s her middle name and not her first, I don’t think it’s a big deal. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is a beautiful name, go for it!

I think it’s perfectly fine (regardless of how you pronounce [name_f]Clara[/name_f]). As a pp said, it might be different if [name_f]Claire[/name_f] were her daughter’s first name, but, as it is not, there’s nothing weird about it at all. :slight_smile:

I think it’s fine -they all sound quite distinct

Thank you all for your feedback! This is very helpful and makes me feel better about it!

I think for family it’s too close

I don’t think it’s a problem at all. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] are quite distinct names, and even if [name_f]Claire[/name_f] was the daughter’s first name I don’t think it’s a problem.

In my accent, [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] don’t rhyme. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is similar to [name_u]Clare[/name_u], but not similar enough that it would get confusing when talking to one of the girls while together. I dont see a problem with using it.

However, this is on the assumption [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is pronounced with CLAR rhyming with [name_u]BAR[/name_u] and A like DUH. If it’s like [name_f]Claire[/name_f]-uh, then it would get confusing with the two girls together, and another name may be better.

I totally agree with this post!

I don’t think they’re too close. [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] might have a similar ending but I can’t see anyone getting them mixed up. Middle names don’t really matter from my point of view (unless they’re used all the time), so I wouldn’t worry about the similarity to [name_f]Claire[/name_f].