Too close?

Hello everyone

What do you think of [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] (pronounced eye-la) and [name_u]Aria[/name_u] as a sister set ? Too similar or is it acceptable ?

I don’t think they’re too close! They’re very sweet together.

1 Like

I think they definitely work! They would be even more distinct if you did Isla and Aria! (Pronounced the same.)

10 Likes

I personally don’t think that they’re too close, I actually think that they’re pretty cute together

1 Like

I think it’s acceptable, but I personally trip over saying them together :sweat_smile:

I think they could work, if you don’t mind the similar appearance

1 Like

If you’re going to pronounce it eye-la, I would say go for the [name_f]Isla[/name_f] spelling.

That way you get to use both names you like, while separating them stylistically. Because I do think [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] & [name_u]Aria[/name_u] are too similar stylistically for siblings.

[name_f]My[/name_f] dad is S@m and I’m S@m@nth@. I always get mixed up as him on paperwork, on mail, etc. even though they should be different enough to avoid the issue. [name_f]Believe[/name_f] me, you would save both kids a lot of headaches by making their names more distinct especially if they share a last name.

1 Like

I think it works, but I’d spell [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] [name_f]Isla[/name_f]

2 Likes

I agree with spelling it as [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. It makes it more distinct from [name_u]Aria[/name_u] and saves her from having to correct people constantly. I have known 3 Aylas IRL and they have all pronounced it like [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] without the K. The name [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is common enough now that it would be the default spelling typically.

4 Likes

I think the pronunciation is distinct enough, but the spelling is awfully similar. However, as other posters have mentioned, you could get around that by using [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is also more frequently pronounced “EYE-lah,” while [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] is frequently pronounced with the AY rhyming with “day.”

1 Like

I want to say I don’t think so, and the sounds really are distinct, but I got so tripped up trying to say [name_u]Aria[/name_u] and Ayla… maybe because I have [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] on my list and use what I’ve been told is the Hebrew pronunciation, AY-lah. I kept saying “area and ay la” or Eye-lah and area… but I couldn’t get out [name_u]Aria[/name_u] and [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] to save my life. :joy::joy:. Finally got it now, it could’ve just been the spellings that tripped me up. Either way, I adore [name_f]Ayla[/name_f], and wish she were more used! I definitely think [name_u]Aria[/name_u] and [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] could be sisters.