Too different to be brothers?

We have a little boy named [name]Francis[/name] [name]Hugo[/name], known exclusively as [name]Frank[/name], and we’re really struggling to come up with a name for his little brother, due in [name]August[/name].

My current favorite is [name]Ignatius[/name] ([name]Iggy[/name]), though I’m not sure if it really “goes” with [name]Frank[/name]. They’re both [name]Saint[/name] names, and I love them both, but I’m not sure if they work together. Are they just too different to be brothers?

My other favorites are [name]Raphael[/name], [name]Blaise[/name], [name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Casimir[/name], [name]Rudy[/name], [name]Frederick[/name], [name]Nico[/name], [name]Jabez[/name], [name]Leonardo[/name] - but I’m not sure any of these “go” with [name]Frank[/name]. Am I on the wrong track?

First of all, I don’t think the names come across as too different from each other at all! They are great names with a lot of character (even your other options).

Furthermore, I don’t really think it matters if names are different from each other as long as they all mean something to you (whether as a namesake or even just a name you really love!). The only time I forsee that being an issue is if you have multiple children with a clear theme at which point, naming a new baby outside of that theme, could be problematic… but if you’re going w/o a theme from the beginning I think you’re fine!

My initial reaction after reading your first paragraph was, [name]August[/name]! Then, [name]Augustus[/name]! Then I read your second paragraph. [name]Ignatius[/name] is so cool and as is the nn [name]Iggy[/name]. I don’t think it is overtly bad with [name]Frank[/name], but I feel that [name]Frank[/name] has a much stronger feel than [name]Iggy[/name] does. Also, there will be lots of Isabellas running around, some of whom may go by [name]Izzy[/name], which is similar is sound. Not sure if that really matters, but I thought I’d just point it out. If you love it, go for it, but since you’re not sure, I’ll get into your other options.

First, I have to suggest [name]Augustus[/name]. To me, it has a similar feel to [name]Ignatius[/name] (probably from the ‘us’ ending). You could use Auggie as a nn similar to [name]Iggy[/name], but [name]Gus[/name] is also adorable! [name]Frank[/name] and [name]Gus[/name] go well together, in my opinion.

My favorites from your list are [name]Leonardo[/name] and [name]Nico[/name]. [name]Frank[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] or [name]Frank[/name] and [name]Nico[/name] sound nice to me.

My least favorites from your list are [name]Frederick[/name] and [name]Rudy[/name]. While I like [name]Frederick[/name] on its own, [name]Frank[/name] and [name]Fred[/name] just seems a little too matchy, so they take away from each other. As for [name]Rudy[/name], I wouldn’t use it because of the rising popularity of [name]Ruby[/name]. While I appreciate the football connection, it also reminds me of the word ‘rude’ and red noses, thanks to the reindeer.

[name]Francis[/name] & [name]Ignatius[/name] aka [name]Frank[/name] & [name]Iggy[/name]. I like it. Very proper in the proper form and very rock star in the nn form… I like that both proper names go together so well and both nn go together so well, even if they don’t interchange so well.

They go fine together but the similar S-endings is what bothers me, but I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker, especially if they are known by nicknames for the most part. [name]Frank[/name] and [name]Iggy[/name] are too cute!

I love [name]Raphael[/name] and [name]Leonardo[/name] with [name]Francis[/name] too. They seem so Renaissance and art-y to me, which I think is awesome. [name]Frank[/name] and [name]Raffy[/name] or [name]Frank[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] are great together as well.

Wow, I love your sons name. [name]Francis[/name] [name]Hugo[/name] is such a lovely combo! My first thought on [name]Ignatius[/name] is that while it is different than [name]Francis[/name], I still think the two names still go together. However, I dont love [name]Iggy[/name]. Granted it is really cute right now but will a grown man want to be called [name]Iggy[/name]? I really like [name]Leonardo[/name] “[name]Leo[/name]” with [name]Frank[/name]. [name]Leon[/name] would be nice too. I think [name]Raphael[/name] would work too but it is not a favorite of mine.

Others that come to mind:
[name]Thatcher[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name]