Too feminine?

I’m loving the name [name]Briar[/name]… but it’s listed as a girls name.
is it too feminine for a little baby boy?

My first thought is [name]Briar[/name] [name]Rose[/name] from Sleeping Beauty, so yes, I would consider it too feminine for a boy. I would go with [name]Brian[/name] or [name]Bryce[/name] instead.

My first inclination is [name]Briar[/name]-[name]Rose[/name].
However, I don’t think most people know Sleeping Beauty as [name]Briar[/name]-[name]Rose[/name] - if at all they tend to think [name]Aurora[/name] first.
I think [name]Briar[/name] paired with a strong masculine name - say [name]Briar[/name]-[name]Ridge[/name] (which I was contemplating as a boys name the other day) - I think it could work really well. It’s a great nature name that doesn’t mean “flower” - so I’d think it’s cool on a boy.

I think Sleeping Beauty too, sorry, I think it has a very feminine association, just like the names [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Violet[/name].

There is a little boy in my small town named [name]Briar[/name] and I never once thought of it as feminine sounding name.

I think of [name]Briar[/name]-[name]Rose[/name] and Sleeping Beauty, so it’s rather female to me. But the meaning is totally more male than female imo: “A thorny patch”, so I view it as unisex truly.

[name]Briar[/name] can work on a boy fine, it’s a lot like [name]Brian[/name] and [name]Blair[/name] which are both male (originally).

[name]Briar[/name] paired with a second name feels more female, than just [name]Briar[/name]. As in [name]Briar[/name]-[name]Rose[/name]

Something like [name]James[/name] in the middle is nice!

[name]Briar[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Briar[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Briar[/name] [name]Mitchell[/name]
[name]Briar[/name] [name]George[/name], I really like this one.

I think [name]Briar[/name], as a nature name, can go either way. I think it has feminine sounds but also masculine sounds (ah la [name]Brian[/name], [name]Bryce[/name], etc). If girls can be Bryan why can’t a boy be Briar?

I think it could work really well and be very cool on a boy.

I think of it as a girls name.

The only [name]Briar[/name] I know is a boy and it suits him well. He spells it Bryer.

I love [name]Brier[/name]. I’m currently expecting and have considered this name. My great uncles last name was Brierly and he passed about the time my first was born,but I passed on it then. However, I now have a stepson named [name]Bryan[/name], so I think we’re passing on it again.

I think it’s a great boys name. It’s very similar sounding to our very controversial boy-name, [name]Bear[/name], which is quite masculine. If you love it, go with it. I think it actually rings a bell as a Disney book I had as a girl, that featured a fox and a bear, respectively called [name]Briar[/name]-[name]Fox[/name], and [name]Briar[/name]-[name]Bear[/name]. [name]Just[/name] looked it up, and there’s a few spellings, but it’s pronounced the same, and those are both male characters. I don’t associate it it with Sleeping Beauty.

It sounds unisex to me. I think [name]Avery[/name] and [name]Alexis[/name] are more feminine so [name]Briar[/name] seems ok :).

I know a guy named [name]Bryar[/name]. I think it’s neat! I don’t mind ‘feminine’ names for boys, though. I think they’re handsome.

To me it sounds truly unisex (and I don’t find many names to be truly unisex). If I were to use that name for a child, I’d put in on a boy before I would a girl.

I think [name]Briar[/name] works better on a boy than a girl. I don’t think the Sleeping Beauty connection is a problem (in fact, I think Sleeping Beauty is kind of weird for making it a name for a girl!)

The characters you’re thinking of are Br’er Rabbit, Br’er [name]Fox[/name] and Br’er [name]Bear[/name] from Song of the South. Br’er (or Brer as it it sometimes spelled) is short for Brother and is pronounced more like mare with a “br”, whereas [name]Briar[/name] is pronounced bry-ar. The movie is based on the Uncle [name]Remus[/name] folktales (African-American folktales from the South) so Br’er/Brer isn’t actually a name, it’s an honorific, like Mrs. or Mr.

I agree with historia in that just hearing the name doesn’t give me a sense of the baby’s gender, but I would be much more inclined to give it to a boy. I didn’t correlate it to Sleeping Beauty nor do I think too many people today would either (it isn’t like you want to name your son [name]Aurora[/name] lol). I think it is a lovely name, a little soft but not feminine… But I do agree with the idea of him having a super-masculine mn. Hmm, [name]Briar[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] or [name]Briar[/name] [name]Viggo[/name]? =]

I think [name]Briar[/name] can go either way, as someone posted previously depending on if you put a masculine/feminine middle with it. I actually did not know Sleeping Beauty’s name was [name]Briar[/name]-[name]Rose[/name] until I became a member of Nameberry. I prefer [name]Briar[/name] for a boy more so than for a girl.
I liked the suggestion of [name]Briar[/name] [name]James[/name].

I like it more for a boy than a girl. Sounds different but still easy to read and say. I can picture a very cute little boy, or a famous soccer or tennis athlete for a boy named [name]Briar[/name].

I like it! I don’t think it sounds feminine at all.