Too French ?

Hello!

We are expecting a little girl in [name_f]September[/name_f]. We have a toddler named [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. We’ve been set on [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] with a nickname [name_f]Evie[/name_f]. But my husband thinks it might be too [name_m]French[/name_m] for us. He still lives [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and would like that as a nickname. However, I do not like [name_f]Eve[/name_f] or [name_f]Eva[/name_f].

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is still our number one pick but I think we should have some backups just in case. Any ideas, berries ?? We do like vintage names. [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] will be the middle as it’s a twist on my dads name.

Please help !!

I think it’s completely ok, not too french, much more than her sister but I think it’s ok. [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] & [name_f]Evie[/name_f] are cute. [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] … There are other options but I really do think you’re alright.

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] make a darling sibset not to french at all!!

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is such a common/familiar name in the US that I don’t think anyone would think twice. It is a [name_m]French[/name_m] name, but it doesn’t scream [name_m]French[/name_m]. The way I see [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is sort of similar to the way that I see [name_f]Nicole[/name_f].

1 Like

When I hear the name [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], I don’t think [name_m]French[/name_m]. I know it is [name_m]French[/name_m], but it isn’t a name like [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] or [name_m]Jacques[/name_m] that definitely make me think about their origin (at least for someone in the US with these names). I think [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is a beautiful name and goes well with [name_f]Hazel[/name_f].

Personally I find [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f] a more Southern sibset as opposed to [name_m]French[/name_m]. So I love them together!! [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] flows so beautifully as well :).

Here are some ideas for names with nickname [name_f]Evie[/name_f]:
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] & [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] & [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] (the flow of this isn’t so great though)
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] & [name_u]Everly[/name_u] [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] & [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]

I absolutely love [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and I agree that [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is not too [name_m]French[/name_m] to go with [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], but I also wanted to suggest the possibility of [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f].

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] seem like a pretty standard sibset imo! I feel like theyre a perfectly normal pairing - [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is a trending choice in the US, as is [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. They feel perfect together.

Thanks for your responses ! It really helped! It also helped that my husband hard passed on [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and realized he does llove [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f].

My name is [name_f]Jenevieve[/name_f]- I am not [name_m]French[/name_m] . So no I don’t think it is too [name_m]French[/name_m] (:

I don’t think [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is too [name_m]French[/name_m] at all, especially as I’m guessing you’ll be pronouncing it [name_f]Jen[/name_f]-eh-VEEV, not zhon-vee-EV. [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] & [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f] make a very nice set!

It’s mainstream. Like others have said, it does have [name_m]French[/name_m] origins but it’s not the same as naming your son [name_m]Jacque[/name_m]

I love [name_m]French[/name_m] names so much so I don’t think it’s possible for a name to be too [name_m]French[/name_m]! I do find hazel is a very different style from it though. But that’s ok.

I think [name_f]Evie[/name_f] is a wonderful name and sounds pretty with [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]! [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] is beautiful!

I know it’s a [name_m]French[/name_m] in origin name, but it doesn’t sound [name_m]French[/name_m] to me! If I met a girl named [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], I wouldn’t automatically assume she had a french origin, so I wouldn’t worry about the potential french-ness of the name! I think especially if she goes by [name_f]Evie[/name_f] a lot of the time, I wouldn’t worry about it! I think [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is comparable to [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] - it’s a french name and we know it, but you don’t have to be french to use it!

Other [name_f]Evie[/name_f] names: [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_u]Everly[/name_u], [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], just [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f], [name_u]Evan[/name_u], [name_u]Ever[/name_u], [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Eveline[/name_f] (ev-uh-line), [name_f]Geneva[/name_f].

My husband suggested [name_u]Madison[/name_u] today… this might be an ongoing thing for us!

Have you considered other nicknames for [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]?
[name_f]Vivi[/name_f]
[name_f]Vi[/name_f]
[name_f]Genie[/name_f]
[name_u]Nev[/name_u]
Nevie
[name_f]Nieve[/name_f]
[name_u]Gene[/name_u]
[name_f]Gena[/name_f]
[name_f]Ginny[/name_f]

Doesn’t seem too [name_m]French[/name_m] at all, if you hadn’t mentioned it I wouldn’t have really picked up on it at all.

@notanotherbaby We have, but we love [name_f]Evie[/name_f] as a nickname.

I agree, I don’t think it’s too french! I might need help brainstorming other options just in case, but I think I’ll start a new thread. Thanks berries!!

Evelyn or Evangeline can be Evie. But I think Genevieve is a lovely name. If my mom’s grandma name wasn’t already Gigi, I would have use it for my last baby :heart:

Thanks ! We ended up deciding on Margot :slight_smile: :smiley:

3 Likes