Too Girly?

what about [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Neil[/name] to honour your mother

[name]Neil[/name] is very close in sound and spelling to [name]Nelly[/name], it is also Irish, and would still honour your mother even though she goes by [name]Bly[/name].

[name]Just[/name] a thought. It would definitely be a more masculine choice for the mn.

FWIW, I agree with everyone who says [name]Finlay[/name] seems more boy than girl to them.

bb2duesoon, that is a cute idea! But, I don’t know if [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Neil[/name] sounds perfect - does anybody else think it is a lot of “n” and “l” sounds?

I tried to find a boy name meaning “light” like [name]Nelly[/name], but it didn’t turn out so well, so I found some names beginning with Ne- for you to think over:

[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] McMaster
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Nevan[/name] McMaster (Irish, “[name]Little[/name] [name]Saint[/name]”)
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Neville[/name] McMaster

Again, good luck, SloppyArt!

Would you consider a third name? I think [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Bly[/name] sounds masculine, but if you’d like to reinforce it, I think with a short mn like [name]Bly[/name] you have room to squeeze one more in.

What about [name]Finlay[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Bly[/name]?

[name]Finlay[/name] doesn’t seem too feminine to me but with [name]Bly[/name]… [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Bligh[/name] on the other hand sounds definitely masculine:) I’m all for adding a second middle too, [name]Finlay[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Bligh[/name] McMaster is even better!

Well, I should have said that my mom is not too fond of “[name]Nelly[/name]” or “[name]Nell[/name]”–she either goes by [name]Bly[/name] or [name]Nelly[/name] [name]Bly[/name], and kinda cringes when people call her [name]Nelly[/name]–so it probably wouldn’t honor her favorably to use [name]Nell[/name] or a boy variation thereof. I don’t mind [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Nelly[/name] myself, although it does make me think of that bratty blonde ringleted girl on [name]Little[/name] House on the Prarie.

[name]Bligh[/name]? I think it might work better only if we spelled his first name [name]Finleigh[/name] or Fionleigh. (Maybe I am being too "matchy matchy"here but again I like the simplicity of [name]Bly[/name]).

We have already used my dad’s name, [name]Patrick[/name], for my son [name]Wyatt[/name]'s middle name. His other grandfather is [name]William[/name], which neither of us are too fond of. We have [name]David[/name] and [name]John[/name]–blah. And my mom’s maiden name is [name]Young[/name], which neither of us want to use either.

Does Cogan read masculine? As in, [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Bly[/name] Cogan McMaster? Or simply: [name]Finlay[/name] Cogan McMaster? It doesn’t really help make the name decidedly male, to my eyes, but if anyone thinks otherwise do let me know. It is my maiden name, and also the name my mom took (not as much her name as [name]Bly[/name], but a possibility I guess).

I’m not opposed to using two middle names–thanks for the suggestion–for the sake of clarifying [name]Finlay[/name]'s gender, but if I’m going to stick another one in there it would have to be one I really liked (one of our ‘runner up’ name choices, for instance). So I am pondering this, and will likely be back for more input. Thanks for the continuing helpful comments…

"Well, I should have said that my mom is not too fond of “[name]Nelly[/name]” or “[name]Nell[/name]”–she either goes by [name]Bly[/name] or [name]Nelly[/name] [name]Bly[/name], and kinda cringes when people call her [name]Nelly[/name]–so it probably wouldn’t honor her favorably to use [name]Nell[/name] or a boy variation thereof. I don’t mind [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Nelly[/name] myself, although it does make me think of that bratty blonde ringleted girl on [name]Little[/name] House on the Prarie.

[name]Bligh[/name]? I think it might work better only if we spelled his first name [name]Finleigh[/name] or Fionleigh. (Maybe I am being too "matchy matchy"here but again I like the simplicity of [name]Bly[/name]).

We have already used my dad’s name, [name]Patrick[/name], for my son [name]Wyatt[/name]'s middle name. His other grandfather is [name]William[/name], which neither of us are too fond of. We have [name]David[/name] and [name]John[/name]–blah. And my mom’s maiden name is [name]Young[/name], which neither of us want to use either.

Does Cogan read masculine? As in, [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Bly[/name] Cogan McMaster? Or simply: [name]Finlay[/name] Cogan McMaster? It doesn’t really help make the name decidedly male, to my eyes, but if anyone thinks otherwise do let me know. It is my maiden name, and also the name my mom took (not as much her name as [name]Bly[/name], but a possibility I guess).

I’m not opposed to using two middle names–thanks for the suggestion–for the sake of clarifying [name]Finlay[/name]'s gender, but if I’m going to stick another one in there it would have to be one I really liked (one of our ‘runner up’ name choices, for instance). So I am pondering this, and will likely be back for more input. Thanks for the continuing helpful comments…"

Well, if your mom doesn’t like [name]Nelly[/name], it doesn’t make much sense to honor her that way. And, [name]Nelly[/name] on [name]Little[/name] House is a real brat!

As I said before, I really don’t like the spelling [name]Bligh[/name] (blight, blegh, etc) because of bad associations. And, I [name]DO[/name] NOT think you should change the spelling of [name]Finlay[/name] AT ALL. If you spell it [name]Finleigh[/name], it just looks like [name]Leighanne[/name] or something, and I really don’t care for misspelled names. Sorry to those who like those names! And, you want to honor M-I-L’s maiden name, Finlayson, right?

I know a family with the last name Cogan, and I guess it reads masculine, but I’d honestly prefer [name]Finlay[/name] with a traditional middle name (think [name]Jonathan[/name] to honor [name]John[/name]) rather than another surname-name. I really like [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Jonathan[/name] McMaster, personally, or even [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Jonah[/name] to keep the same syllables as [name]Wyatt[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]. Or, even do [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Bly[/name] McMaster. I’m not a huge fan of double middle names, but if you like it and feel like you need to stick it in there, then go for it. (Too bad you already used [name]Patrick[/name]! It sounds fabulous with [name]Finlay[/name]! Haha.) Good luck!

ha lemon, we really wish in retrospect that we hadn’t used [name]Patrick[/name] already! (We like it even as a first name). And no, we won’t change the name of [name]Finlay[/name]–we want it to be just like my [name]MIL[/name]'s name, not even with an “e”(some suggest this spelling is more masculine). So [name]Finlay[/name] is a given, and like you I prefer just one middle name. If we decide [name]Bly[/name] isn’t masculine enough, we will choose a middle name with one or two syllables. It might be wise to choose a good male middle name for him, just in case by the time he grows up all the Finlays are girls and he wants to go by something else. Funny enough, another name we liked was [name]Linden[/name] (oddly, sorta similar to [name]Finlay[/name])–which does absolutely NOTHING in the male-defining department! [name]Ah[/name], names. Wish I had some sense of how masculine this boy will be–and/or how sensitive–so I could better decide if [name]Bly[/name] would cause him grief or delight.

Thanks for your continued input, [name]Lemon[/name]. I wish my husband was as contemplative on this as you are :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] Sloppy,

I think that [name]Finlay[/name] Cogan McMaster is quite masculine, and to me, more so than [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Bly[/name]. You have some great family names, Sloppy! :slight_smile:

I hope you’re doing well!

[name]Jill[/name], I agree with you that [name]Finlay[/name] Cogan is more masculine than [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Bly[/name], but I still think a more traditional name, like [name]Patrick[/name], would be perfect as a middle name.

SloppyArt, I just really love commenting on your polls! You have such a beautiful reason for naming your son this name, and I want to help you find the perfect middle name for [name]Finlay[/name]. This is fun! I have a personal connection to the name, too, as I chose it for my dog, [name]Findlay[/name]. I am NOT saying it is a dog name at all, though! (Not to mention, I like that you respond on a regular basis.)

Not to suggest something totally crazy, but I know a couple families who have given both sons their father’s name as a middle name, so you could use [name]Patrick[/name] again. I get the sense you wouldn’t be into that idea, though…

You like [name]Linden[/name], eh? Nope, doesn’t do much for the masculinity issue. Ha! What about [name]Landon[/name], though? [name]Landon[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name] are both English 2-syllable names, so that sort of ties them together. [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Landon[/name] McMaster? Some people might say the name has L overkill, though.

I know you have expressed some discomfort about using a name you love rather than a family name for [name]Finlay[/name]'s middle name, but maybe you should do just that. [name]How[/name] did you come up with [name]Wyatt[/name]? Was it just a name you loved? If so, then there is no reason you can’t use a name you love (not a family name) for [name]Fin[/name]'s middle name.

Some names like [name]Patrick[/name]:

[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Albert[/name] McMaster
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Benson[/name] McMaster
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Brandon[/name] McMaster
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Bryan[/name] McMaster (repeats the “y” and means “noble” - same meaning as [name]Patrick[/name]!)
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Dawson[/name] McMaster
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Edward[/name] McMaster
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Graham[/name] McMaster
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Harris[/name] McMaster
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Raymond[/name] McMaster
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Russell[/name] McMaster
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] McMaster

Any of those strike your fancy? Also, what is daddy’s middle name?

SORRY! [name]Just[/name] realized that [name]Patrick[/name] ISN’T their father’s name, it is their grandfather’s name! What about using dad’s first or middle name or a variant? Or even yours?

Thanks for the Cogan vote, [name]Jill[/name]. I guess because I’ve kept the name it seems um, less fresh than a new one we might choose–but I do consider it because my sister’s took their husband’s names so it will die off with me (and my mom)–unless of course [name]Wyatt[/name] or his brother revive it (perhaps on the advice of nameberry-ites of 2030?)

You didn’t say you had a dog named [name]Findlay[/name], [name]Lemon[/name]! [name]How[/name] mature of you not to suggest we tweak [name]Finlay[/name] to [name]Findlay[/name] :).

So, my husband’s name is [name]Alan[/name]. [name]Alan[/name] [name]Erwin[/name]–[name]Erwin[/name] being a family name. Blah. (I know I shouldn’t say that but I don’t think he is too thrilled about his name–with the exception of his family most everyone automatically reduces it to [name]Al[/name]). Strangely I do know an [name]Alain[/name], and I love to say his name–but I think “near names” as tributes are not quite tributes. Maybe I’m a purist?

Of the ones you suggested I do like [name]Graham[/name]–it was a name we debated as a first name (or simpler one with a silent “h”, [name]Gram[/name])–and [name]Thomas[/name], which happens to be the name of a close nephew I have. Also liked [name]Glenn[/name] or [name]Glen[/name]. And [name]Quinn[/name] (lots of 'n’s though with [name]Finlay[/name]).

[name]Will[/name] be debating (always!) [name]Bly[/name] and/or Cogan and rechecking my favored-name lists to see if there’s a good masculine one that goes perfectly with [name]Findlay[/name]. Again, thanks so much for all the continued help.

Oops, you spelled it [name]Findlay[/name] in that final paragraph, SloppyArt! Haha! And, yes, my dog is named after a landmark, hence the spelling.

Anyway, I was intrigued with this [name]Alan[/name] idea, and it turns out [name]Alan[/name] is an English name meaning “little rock,” and [name]Alain[/name] is simply the French version! So, I’d say you could use it to honor daddy [name]Alan[/name], but I do think [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Alain[/name] McMaster could be slightly better (the “ai” adds a feminine touch, again…). Anyway, I looked up other names meaning “little rock” like [name]Alan[/name], and I think I found a winner (or at least it seems to be one in my book). The name is Cargan - it is Irish for “little rock,” so I am assuming it is the Irish form of [name]Alan[/name]. Why do I love it so much? It sounds like Cogan! I just love the sound and look of [name]Finlay[/name] Cargan McMaster so much. No excessive letter sounds, no questionable gender in my opinion, a tie to the Scottish [name]Finlay[/name] with an Irish name, and a link to both [name]Alan[/name] and Cogan. What are your thoughts? My other favorites of the ones you liked are [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Graham[/name] (or [name]Graeme[/name], rather than [name]Gram[/name]) and [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]. Those and [name]Finlay[/name] Cargan. Take some time and process and let me know. Good luck!

Another thing to suggest. Is anyone in the family actually from [name]Scotland[/name] (Finlayson --> [name]Finlay[/name] = Scottish, and [name]Erwin[/name] --> [name]Ervin[/name] = [name]Irvine[/name], [name]Scotland[/name])? If so, you could honor the place of origin. I know someone whose middle name is [name]Argyle[/name] (not after the pattern!) after the place of her family’s ancestry in [name]Scotland[/name].

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: I didn’t read the previous [name]Finlay[/name] middle name suggestions, but in case you don’t go with Cogan or [name]Bly[/name], you may like:

[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Charles[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Miles[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]Sullivan[/name]

I’d just avoid E middle names, because his initials will be FEM. :slight_smile:

Continued good wishes! :slight_smile:

I think you are really nice trying to honour both mothers. I don’t think I will get a mention in my family but I would like it if I was remembered via a middle name or a variation of my name.

I definitely like [name]Bligh[/name] more than [name]Bly[/name] because [name]Bly[/name] reminds me of fly.

If I was an employer and I asked a potential employee in for an interview and if I thought that they were male and they were in fact female it would annoy me. So to answer your question I feel that somewhere in a girl’s name it should show a feminine name eg [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]

Her [name]Finlay[/name] will be a boy, in case you weren’t sure. :slight_smile:

I think [name]Finley[/name] [name]Bly[/name] is a great name! It’s interesting, has a nice flow, and is masculine without being macho. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but with this name I picture a handsome, smiling young man with an earthy groundedness but also a happy, breezy demeanor…not too serious and not too fluffy, but just right. Well chosen!

Hee. Okay, so I won’t choose [name]Alexandra[/name], and [name]Jill[/name] your observation to avoid the initials FEM made me laugh aloud.

Cargan is a brillant combo of [name]Alan[/name] and Cogan, lemon! What a find. And I have yet to meet one. Because Cogan is the name I grew up hearing, I can’t help but think Cargan sounds like a drunk person slurring Cogan. However, I’m still pondering it, and will broach the name with DH tonight.

My husband’s mothers’ side–the Finlaysons–came to [name]Canada[/name] from [name]Scotland[/name], but my family on my father’s side is all Irish (My Dad was born there before they immigrated to U.S.). I like the name [name]Finlay[/name] quite a bit, otherwise the ‘Irish’ in me would insist on [name]Finnian[/name] or [name]Finnigan[/name] or [name]Fionn[/name]–something truly Irish. I wouldn’t mind an Irish middle name, even if it meant a “mutt” handle for [name]Finlay[/name].

Wouldn’t mind but isn’t absolutely necessary. After all, we chose our first son’s name based solely on the fact that we both liked it (oh, how easy that was).

One other thing: We get much mileage out of my first son’s middle initial, P (for [name]Patrick[/name]). From early on we’ve referred to him as "The P’, “P-ster”, “P-knuckle”, etc. For awhile he introduced himself only as WyattP., which caused confused looks and one little boy he just met to turn befuddled to his mom and say, “He says his name is Wopety!”

Again, this may not happen with [name]Finlay[/name], and doesn’t have to (we find nicknames, terms of endearment for our kids no matter what their names), but I thought I’d throw it in there as another reason why a middle name as perfect as [name]Patrick[/name] is proving hard to choose. I suppose if we named him something like [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Owen[/name] we might get to say “O” or Finlayo.

Wow, epertis. Your description of the guy [name]Finlay[/name] [name]Bly[/name] conjures is exactly how I’ve been imagining/wanting this boy to be…

Her [name]Finlay[/name] will be a boy, in case you weren’t sure. :-)[/quote]

Thanks lemon I understood that point but I just wanted to say that in general if one was naming a girl I believe that mn imo should be obviously feminine.