Too masculine or "soupy"?

I have recently discovered the name [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] and can’t keep it off my mind. I like boyish names on girls and I don’t think this soup thing will be an issue but, I have been wrong before. What do you all think? any names of the same style you can suggest to me? [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] would be the full name. Thank you! :slight_smile:

I don’t think it would be a problem with the soup thing… But I did think that you were talking about it as a boy’s name when I first read this.

Same here, it’d work for a boy but for a girl…please no.

I do know of a [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] who is a girl. Very tomboyish - loves sports. So I think it could work well, especially since you have [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as a middle name.

I would prefer to see it on a boy too, but there is a tradition in some parts of the US to use last names as first names for girls and I could see this fitting with that. I would definitely use a clear feminine name for the mn if you use [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] for a girl and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] works well.

I think [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] is such a handsome name on a boy. I really don’t like it on a girl, but [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] does make it only slightly more reachable. Have you considered it as a middle name? Eg. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u], [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u], [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u]…

I see you have a son named [name_u]Bryce[/name_u]. Handsome name :slight_smile: If you told me you had two kids, one of each gender, and they were named [name_u]Bryce[/name_u] and [name_u]Campbell[/name_u], I’d have a hard time deciding which was the girl but I’d probably guess that the name [name_u]Bryce[/name_u] belonged to a girl over the name [name_u]Campbell[/name_u]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] being honest.

There is a little girl at the daycare where I work named [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u]. She has a double name, so we don’t call her [name_f]Mary[/name_f], we call her [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u]. I thinks its cute!

I know several people with the last name [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] who have been nicknamed “Soupy” at some point in their life. I can only imagine the same thing would happen with a first name. It’s never be an “issue”, but if you’re trying to avoid the soup reference all together, I’d look at different names.

I’m okay with [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] on either gender, but much prefer it on a boy.

I also know a boy named [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u]. So, I think it could go either way!

Similar to [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] in what way? What is it about the name that draws you to it… the hard “c”? Scottish roots? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer it to names ending in -er, or son?

Here are some ideas:
[name_m]Aiken[/name_m]
[name_u]Ainsley[/name_u]
[name_m]Buchanan[/name_m]
[name_m]Calhoun[/name_m]
[name_m]Darrow[/name_m]
[name_m]Donaghue[/name_m]
[name_m]Donovan[/name_m]
[name_u]Duffy[/name_u]
[name_u]Finley[/name_u]
[name_m]Fraser[/name_m]
[name_f]Greer[/name_f]
[name_u]Blair[/name_u]
Hendry
[name_u]Hunter[/name_u]
[name_u]Logan[/name_u]
[name_f]Kinley[/name_f]
[name_f]Kinsey[/name_f]
[name_u]Lindsey[/name_u]
[name_f]Lowry[/name_f]
[name_m]Lyon[/name_m]
[name_f]Kenna[/name_f]
[name_u]Kenzie[/name_u]
[name_u]Rae[/name_u]
Milligan
[name_u]Munro[/name_u]
Starrett
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u]
[name_u]Wallace[/name_u]

my gut reaction was no, but thinking it over it’s not too bad. My first association is an old teacher I didn’t exactly like. It was his surname. Which is another point against the name in general, it sounds like a last name. I have went to school with a guy named [name_m]Travis[/name_m] [name_u]MacKenzie[/name_u] (actually I changed the name, but it was similar) and our teacher who had trouble with names could never figure it out which went first and if his name was [name_u]MacKenzie[/name_u] [name_m]Travis[/name_m] or [name_m]Travis[/name_m] [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u]. Anyway in my extended family it’s traditional to give last names as middles but all are family surnames. I would like [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] a lot more if it was your grandmother’s maiden name. It’s also a Scottish name and so it could honor Scottish ancestry.
I like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] in the middle to give her options. I also kind of like the nickname bell; although bell spelled bell doesn’t seem very feminine to me, but I definitely think Campbelle would be a mistake. Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!

Thank you for all of your advice! I do like the name [name_u]Finley[/name_u] from the list and appreciate your suggestions.

I agree with this. I know a little girl named [name_u]Campbell[/name_u], she goes by [name_f]Bella[/name_f]. So though it’s not particularly my style it can work, and I would give her a distinctly feminine middle name.

Too soupy for me, personally. There is a little girl named [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] in the book “The Bonfire of the Vanities,” which helped it sound feminine to me. It’s more the soup thing that turns me off.

Completely dislike, sorry.

[name_m]Even[/name_m] with the -bell ending, there’s nothing feminine about [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] to me. The only [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] (spelled [name_m]Cambell[/name_m]) was a girl but I still don’t find the name to be remotely feminine.

If you’re looking for an unusual way to get the “belle” nickname, what about [name_f]Christabel[/name_f]? [name_f]Zabel[/name_f]? [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]?

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] would be much nicer, just personally - I’m not a big boys-names-on-girls person though, and I thought you were talking about a boy when I read the post first! Also, I’ve never heard of the soup, but I’m in [name_f]England[/name_f], so it may be different.

I personally don’t like it. I think [name_u]Camden[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] would be nicer.

I don’t think [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] is bad but it screams “BOY” to me.

I don’t understand the appeal of [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] on a girl. Why not [name_f]Camille[/name_f]?