Too much name?

I’m considering a few names and I’ve heard from a few people that they are “too much name”. I was hoping to get some of your opinions on them. I don’t think that just because they are long, and not overly used, make them too much. Plus, they all have nick names readily available. And we have a 1 syllable, 4 letter last name, so I think a longer first name is great, even if they are off the beaten path. It’s not like they are totally out there names.

[name]Evangeline[/name] n.n. [name]Evie[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name] n.n. [name]Georgie[/name], [name]Giana[/name], [name]Gia[/name]
Theadosia n.n. [name]Thea[/name]
[name]Broderick[/name] n.n. [name]Brody[/name]
[name]Remington[/name] n.n. [name]Remi[/name]
[name]Montgomery[/name] n.n. Monti

So, what do all you berries think?

There’s a saying that kids grow into their names, so I don’t think having a 4 or 5 syllable name is that much of a cross for a child to bear. Like you said, there are nicknames at the ready for each, although I’d still be all for calling them by their full names. ([name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Georgiana[/name] are on my list, too. :smiley: )

[name]Alexis[/name]

I agree, I don’t think they’re too much name. Though if you’re worried about it, maybe give them a shorter mn to avoid a mouthful, but since your last name is short I think a long first name is a great idea.
From your list, I especially don’t think [name]Evangeline[/name] or [name]Broderick[/name] are too much name, [name]Evangeline[/name] is really coming up in usage lately and has lots of good nn’s. And I love [name]Remington[/name] and [name]Georgiana[/name] too.

Yeah, I don’t really understand the “too much name” opinion. All these names have nn potential, so its not like a child would HAVE to go by all 5 syllables all the time. I think long names can be very beautiful.

I’ve been told that I have to avoid long names because I have a long last name (it’s only 3 syllables, but has a lot of letters). I have no intention of limiting myself to short names when I have children. [name]IMO[/name], it all depends on the flow of the particular name.

Btw - I really like all of these names!

Yeah, I don’t really understand the “too much name” opinion. All these names have nn potential, so its not like a child would HAVE to go by all 5 syllables all the time. I think long names can be very beautiful.

I’ve been told that I have to avoid long names because I have a long last name (it’s only 3 syllables, but has a lot of letters). I have no intention of limiting myself to short names when I have children. [name]IMO[/name], it all depends on the flow of the particular name.

Btw - I really like all of these names!

I think that as long as there is a nickname opportunity, then there can’t be too much name. Like you said, [name]Evangeline[/name] could be [name]Evie[/name] and I think that’s fine.

I think ‘too much name’ can also apply to names with heavy associations or pompous feel, not necessarily length. I think [name]Theodosia[/name], [name]Remington[/name], and [name]Montgomery[/name] are too much name but [name]Evangeline[/name] is perfectly fine and [name]Georgiana[/name] and [name]Broderick[/name] have nicely accessible nicknames.

Completely agree with irisrose. A four-syllable name with a single-syllable last name has a lovely cadence to me, but it’s the overall feeling and impression of the name, not the number of syllables, that makes a name “too much”. I think that’s why [name]Theodosia[/name] and [name]Remington[/name] are striking me that way. What about [name]Remy[/name] and [name]Theodora[/name]? [name]True[/name], [name]Theodora[/name] is only one less syllable than [name]Theodosia[/name] but I find it much lighter and more accessible.

I get the heavy associations and pompous feel over length for too much name. I can see [name]Montgomery[/name] being a little ‘pompous’, and maybe [name]Remington[/name]. I did know a [name]Remington[/name] though and he was anything but pompous so I have a harder time seeing it like that.

But [name]Theodosia[/name]? What’s wrong with [name]Theodosia[/name]? [name]How[/name] is it really different from [name]Theodora[/name]? The only difference I feel is another possible nickname, of [name]Dora[/name]… which I definately do not want. Much to the chargin’ of my two year old step daughter that is obsessed with [name]Dora[/name].

It’s just an opinion. The way I pronounce it, it has five syllables: thee-oh-DOZE-ee-a, and that many syllables is just fussy to me. Plus, I don’t like the heavy emphasis on “doze” and in general just prefer the sound of [name]Theodora[/name]. Then again, [name]Dora[/name] isn’t really in my orbit so perhaps if I was around a [name]Dora[/name]-obsessed two-year-old, I’d think differently!

[name]Theodosia[/name] is much less familiar. While most normal people (by normal, I mean non-name nerds) have heard of the name [name]Theodora[/name], especially since [name]Theodore[/name] is so common, I doubt they would be familiar with the name [name]Theodosia[/name]. It has a kind of ancient, unusual feel, while [name]Theodora[/name] is just a known name not commonly used anymore. To me, it’s kind of like [name]Melisande[/name], [name]Perdita[/name], or [name]Sophronia[/name], and [name]Theodora[/name] is more like [name]Louisa[/name] or [name]Bernadette[/name].

Thank you Irisrose and Celestemilmum. I know it’s just a matter of peoples opinions. And I guess the familiarity factor. I just don’t see it, so I’m having a little bit of a hard time with it. However, I really don’t know why I’m fussing over it that much, because even though it is on my list and I love the name, it is on the bottom.