Too much? Pearl + hawaiian mn

Hello i am expecting in Sept and working on girl name choices. I have always loved the name [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] but it seems to disgust ppl when i mention it. I will be picking a Hawaiian mn and i am loving the name Pomaika’inani right now. It means something like beautiful blessing. It also incorporates part of my own middle name which is nice (nani-beautiful). Pomai and nani are quite common in [name_m]Hawaii[/name_m] but I know to most ears (we live in Ca) it will sound pretty crazy. So should i go simple on one or the other? Like a simpler hawaiian mn more mainstream to go with [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]? Or a less hated first name to go with Pomaika’inani? Last name is one syllable common [name_f]Asian[/name_f] name if that helps. Thank you so much…
Pomaika’inani prn is poh-my-kuh-EE-nawnee

I say go with the Hawaiian name you love. It has special meaning for you. I know a couple of Hawaiian families and all of the kids have simple first names (think [name_m]Gregory[/name_m], [name_m]David[/name_m], [name_u]Julianne[/name_u]) and their middle names are long–longer than Pomaika’inani!–and they love their names and take a lot of pride in them. Go for it!

P.S. [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is GREAT! Ignore the haters. There is nothing wrong with it, and it’s not “out there” at all. I’m actually surprised you’ve gotten negative reactions.

Oh thank u! ”

Definitely not too much. [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] Pomaika’inani is lovely. And it seems like it really means a lot to you. Which is way more important than what others think. I actually have a brother in law who is Hawaiian and he has a simple first name along the lines of pearl with a Hawaiian middle name. He has gone by both his first name and shortened versions of his middle name.

Thank u so much! I am feeling much more confident about loving the names!

As somebody considering [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] as a 2nd middle for [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f], a name many people think is crazy to choose for an actual girl, I can tell you I adore [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] and think it’s something really special.

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] Pomaika’inani is beautiful and sounds perfect against a one syllable [name_f]Asian[/name_f] surname (also with you there).

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t hesitate with Pomaika’inani, especially in CA. I wouldn’t hesitate even if you chose it for the first name spot.

Best of luck, and congrats!

I think it’s great! What kind of comments do you get about [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]? I think about the moon and oceans, personally. It’s very calming. The middle name is very cool, so I think you have an approachable first name and meaningful middle name. You should go for it!

I say go with it. It’s beautiful. :slight_smile:

Thank u guys!!! Im liking it even better now.

And [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] pairs very nicely with [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]!

Ppl literally shudder when i say [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. They dont seem to hear the oceany sweetness that i hear. Sometimes they keep repeating it in as ugly a way as possible with a lot of emphasis on the r like ppppeaRRRRRUhl.

Definitely use the Hawaiin name! [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is lovely with it. I’m from the rural South, and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] would initially get those responses since [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is a little old lady name. However, more people are using it now. I hear it as a middle name often. I love the ocean imagery of [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. You may have some shudders with [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], but you will have just as many people who love it. We had a few negative responses to my daughter [name_f]Clara[/name_f]'s name. Our family hated it. Now they tell me how they changed their mind and see the sweetness of it. Stick to you guns and use your special name!

I agree. I think Pomaika’inani is really cool! And I’m surprised at the negative reactions to [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], too. [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is a lovely name! I think having a one syllable first name like [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], makes the long, unique middle not too much.
I really like [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] Pomaika’inani. Go for it!:slight_smile:

Thank u so much or all of the encouraging responses!!! Its definitely staying on the list!! Going to keep thinking of more names just for fun but i cant imagine liking something better at the moment :slight_smile:

I love the name [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]! :slight_smile: And I think Pomaika’inani is a great name with a nice meaning. [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] Pomaika’inani is a really lovely combo.