Too much X?

I keep coming back to [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] as our boy’s name. It’s classic, not used in our immediate circle and works well with our difficult one-syllable surname. We’d likely use nn [name_u]Alex[/name_u] on a fairly regular basis.

Which is where my problem comes in. Our surname also ends in an x. Does [name_u]Alex[/name_u] Box* work, or is it too much x? Or do I have baby brain and am overanalysing this?

*Not our actual surname, as I don’t want to put that on here, but close enough for purposes of working out the sound

If it started with X, I’d say it was too much, but ends in X? I think that’s down to personal preference. I don’t think it would clash too much if there’s other sounds in between, even if it’s only one syllable.

I’d say just keep talking about names until you both settle.

2 Likes

I feel it’s too much X if they will be going by [name_u]Alex[/name_u] outside the family! After all their most likely be introduced as [name_u]Alex[/name_u] Box! Alternatives that would work would be the name Alderic nn [name_m]Al[/name_m]? It’s vintage and formal but I feel might be too out there so maybe [name_m]Alby[/name_m]? I also like the name [name_f]Alecto[/name_f]? nn [name_m]Alec[/name_m]?

1 Like

I think it’s fine!

1 Like

I don’t think it’s too much personally, it has quite a cool sound to it. You could always use a different [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] nickname. [name_m]Xander[/name_m], [name_m]Zander[/name_m], Xand, [name_u]Andy[/name_u], [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]?

1 Like

I think it’s totally fine!

1 Like

I think it’s fine regardless. Also, the full name tends to be used if a surname is involved ( forms, work email etc), and usually in real life you don’t introduce with a surname, at least not in my experience …it would just be ’ this is my friend [name_u]Alex[/name_u] '.
I go by my shortened name 99% of the time, I can not remember a single time someone has said this with my surname out loud. Maybe that’s just an Australian thing though, idk :blush:

3 Likes

I think it’s fine! [name_f]My[/name_f] second is actually [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. It’s a classic can’t go wrong.
I had a similar thing with my first born. He is [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] and our surname is [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] so it’s heavy on the Z. The way I see it, it’s a name you won’t forget so I didn’t mind the matchness of it.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and the general consensus that it’s fine. He’ll likely be [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] outside of family while young but may prefer to be known as [name_u]Alex[/name_u] Box once he gets older so it’s something we have to bear in mind.

@princesspanda Thanks for the suggestions, [name_m]Alby[/name_m] is unusable for us and the other names I think my husband will find a bit too ‘out there’

Also just wanted to say our son [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] gets [name_f]Ally[/name_f] or [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] for his nickname. So even though [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] has the X there are alternative nicknames which his friends are likely to call him anyway perhaps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it works. It’s noticeable, but not in a bad way. It’s more punchy, memorable, and distinctive.

3 Likes

what @katinka said.

1 Like

I actually kind of like it! It’s memorable to me in a comic book character kind of way, but not in a bad sense at all. [name_m]Just[/name_m] that it’s fun, punchy, and unique without being odd. Also, if he feels awkward introducing himself as [name_u]Alex[/name_u] Box, I doubt anyone would find it weird to say “[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] Box, but I prefer [name_u]Alex[/name_u].” Otherwise, he’d likely just say [name_u]Alex[/name_u], as we rarely drop our full names in a more casual setting.

1 Like

I think [name_m]Zachary[/name_m]/Zach/Zack [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] is such a cool name!

1 Like

Thank you. His middle name is [name_u]George[/name_u]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s fine.

If I introduce myself formally, I use my full first name and surname.

If I introduce myself informally, I use my nickname.

So he’d likely say [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] Box (eg: doctors appointment), or just [name_u]Alex[/name_u] (to new friends).

:slight_smile:

Completely fine
[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name