Too Religious?

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] & [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] can be my new favourite sister pairing, but I’m not sure about using two Biblical-origin names together since I’m non-religious. Both are honour names, if that changes anything. Are they too much together?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t think of religion or the Bible first when I read these names. I think they would work well together.

6 Likes

I don’t think they’re too much! I’m not religious but I like many names with biblical meanings/origin. [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] are both beautiful timeless, familiar names and I wouldn’t guess that the family was religious at all.

3 Likes

I think they’re both common enough to have transcended religions. They make great sisters!

3 Likes

I agree with the previous posters, I think that they’re used so frequently that most people don’t immediately associate it with religion!

1 Like

I don’t think it is a blatantly religious pair. I wouldn’t assume a biblical connection for a parent with daughters with these names, to me they just sound like you like classic girl names with nickname potential. Also most of the girl names in the bible aren’t as uniquely biblical, people don’t automatically make that connection like they do with say [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m], [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and [name_m]Malachi[/name_m].

3 Likes

Not at all. I wouldn’t have made the connection had you not pointed it out.

2 Likes

Josephine doesn’t make me think religious, it makes me think [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women and [name_m]Napoleon[/name_m] and basically the regency era and romance and literature.

I guess [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] is a religious name but the feminisation doesn’t make me think of that

3 Likes

They are very well established outside of Christianity. I wouldn’t assume anyone using them was religious.
Both names are beautiful :blush:

2 Likes

To me they have religious roots but are not religious names.
Religious names to me are names like [name_m]Zachariah[/name_m], Jediah [name_u]Micah[/name_u] etc etc

2 Likes

I don’t think so, since there are so many non-biblical associations with both names

2 Likes

Also it is interesting that you raise this point because this is precisely my dilemma when it comes to naming a third child. I don’t want another biblical name as I don’t want people to assume I am religious when I am not! But I just so happen to love all the biblical names which is a bit of a nightmare.

4 Likes

I don’t think of them as religious names at all.

1 Like

Names like [name_u]Noah[/name_u] and [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] are so common now and names like [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] have always been common.
I wouldn’t assume anyone with these names was religious.
The Bible has many beautiful names and I think most of them are fine for anyone to use.

2 Likes

no, as a religious person. I don’t associate those names with religion despite their meanings. There are some names I would find odd for a non-religious person to use but these aren’t in that category. So beautiful together too!

3 Likes

They are absolutely not too much together! [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you’re trying to avoid names with religious connotations, [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] have been commonly used for so long that the religious connotations are not what most people think of. There are so many namesakes for both of those names. I do like religious names, and neither of those names seem innately religious sounding. Stylistically, those names work very well together!

1 Like

Neither are overwhelmingly religious -they both have other assocations

2 Likes

They are both quite mainstream outside of their Biblical roots.

2 Likes

I don’t think they’re too much. They feel more classic than bibical to me. I don’t think many will get the association to Bibical names at first glance.

2 Likes

I think it’s totally fine. I don’t see [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and think “religious” at all, honestly! [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]/Elizabeth is one of the most classic names of all time, and though yes, it is from the Bible, it’s so popular that I don’t really think it has that strong religious connotation anymore. Not like something like [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], or [name_f]Tirzah[/name_f] does, anyway.

And [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] I wouldn’t even consider religious period? [name_u]True[/name_u], it is a feminization of [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], another Bible name, but [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] is so popular and has so many associations I would put it in the same vein as [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], honestly. I never in 100 years would’ve seen [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] as a sister set and thought, “Wow, those are pretty religious for a non-religious person!” Honestly, [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] + [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] = religious never would’ve entered my mind at all in 100 years lol.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes