Too serious?

I’d like to name my son [name]Kane[/name] Kossack (first, middle) which is a compilation of family names. Is this too much to bear for one child? Other ideas: [name]Kane[/name] [name]Holiday[/name] (he’s due around [name]Christmas[/name]) or [name]Kane[/name] Cassell (chosen by dad).

Well, [name]Kane[/name]'s not something I’m fond of, sound wise it reminds me of [name]Cain[/name], in the Bible. Seeing as how it appeals to you, let me see. I’m not a fan of the repeated K sounds. To me, K is a feminine sound (since [name]Kay[/name] is it’s spell out and it’s feminine) ([name]Jay[/name] is masculine, just so you get my thinking)

So by default, [name]Kane[/name] [name]Holiday[/name] gets my vote. But I feel [name]Kane[/name] [name]Holiday[/name] is asking for [name]Candy[/name] cane jokes, at least in middle school, so I would like to suggest some Christmassy feeling , actual boys names that would compliment [name]Kane[/name] and suit him, even as an adult:

[name]Kane[/name] [name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Kane[/name] [name]Christian[/name]/[name]Christopher[/name] (gives you that K sound!)
[name]Kane[/name] [name]Sterling[/name]
[name]Kane[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name]/[name]Nicolas[/name]
[name]Kane[/name] [name]Timothy[/name]
[name]Kane[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Kane[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Kane[/name] [name]Emmanuel[/name]
[name]Kane[/name] [name]Douglas[/name] (for the tree!)
[name]Kane[/name] [name]Clement[/name]
[name]Kane[/name] [name]Clarence[/name] (for the angel in "it’s a Wonderful Life!)
[name]Kane[/name] [name]Balthazar[/name] (for one of the Three Kings)
[name]Kane[/name] [name]Caspar[/name]
[name]Kane[/name] Melchoir (The other two of the Three Kings)

I realise these may not be anything near what you’re looking for, I’m just tossing out Christmassy options. I hope you understand where I’m coming from, and I really hope it helps!

I agree with [name]Lola[/name] that [name]Kane[/name] reminds me of [name]Cain[/name], the Bible’s first murderer, and of canes/walking sticks and caning - hitting someone with a cane. None of those really incite me to want to name a child [name]Kane[/name], though it may have personal resonance for you.

I’m not a fan of the repeating K (or C) sounds - if you want to use Kossack or Cassell then I recommend using them as a third middle name (eg [name]Kane[/name] [name]John[/name] Kossack) to break up the repeating K sound.

[name]Lola[/name]'s given you a great list of holiday names - I just want to add [name]Noel[/name] to that list, and [name]Stephen[/name] if you end up with a Boxing [name]Day[/name] child.

This is wonderful input! Thank you both for your suggestions - my husband’s name is actually [name]Joseph[/name] and that name is in the running, too. It has been a true challenge for me to acknowledge everyone that I love by naming my child after them…which seems like an impossible task! From an Irish perspective, which is the origin of the name (and me, too), [name]Kane[/name] means ‘beautiful,’ which I do believe he is this already!
I like the sounds of [name]Clement[/name] and [name]Christian[/name], too.

Thank you, again! I will let you know what I choose!