Too short/not substantial enough?

We like the name - [name_f]Etta[/name_f] - but feel it may be too short and may not be substantial enough to be a standalone name. We cannot agree on any of the longer versions (i.e., henrietta, violetta, loretta etc.)

Also, do you think [name_f]Etta[/name_f] (relatively uncommon) will become the next [name_f]Ella[/name_f] or [name_f]Emma[/name_f] - i.e., very popular?

Also, what about [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] - is it going to balloon due to Frozen’s popularity?

Cheers

I love [name_f]Etta[/name_f] by itself! I think it is a fantastic name. You don’t need to find a longer name if you just plan on calling her [name_f]Etta[/name_f] anyway.

[name_f]IMO[/name_f], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] will definitely skyrocket in popularity due to Frozen. I’ve never even seen the movie and I immediately associate it with Frozen (yes, I’m aware [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] was around a very long time before the movie).

I like [name_f]Etta[/name_f]! I think it is strong enough to stand alone, if you wish. Yes, it is soft in sound, but it is fierce in history, culture, and meaning. I think it’s a good fit with the [name_f]Ella[/name_f]'s, the [name_f]Bella[/name_f]'s, and the [name_f]Ava[/name_f]'s.
To me [name_f]Etta[/name_f] has enough strength and personality to hold her own among the aforementioned monikers, and has her own spunky, slightly funky personality. I don’t think she’s quite mainstream material- a little too edgy for most moms, I feel.
If you do favor a longer formal name, how about [name_f]Esther[/name_f]? It’s traditional, Biblical, and has a lovely meaning and associations.
I think [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] (and it’s derivatives) will surely become more popular, (more because of the trend towards short, vintage names beginning with a vowel for girls than because of the Disney film.)

I think [name_f]Etta[/name_f] is very pretty and unusual enough that she probably won’t run into another with her name. If you love it - use it! And I’m guessing [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] will skyrocket in certain areas but maybe not in others, though chances are there will be a significant jump in rank.

i love [name_f]Etta[/name_f], it is one of my favorites, i think it is beautiful on its own. I wish I could use it.

A friend of my mom’s is named [name_f]Etta[/name_f] ([name_m]JUST[/name_m] [name_f]Etta[/name_f]), so I think it is definitely substantial enough to be a full name for a little girl or grown woman. Although it is similar, I don’t think it will blend in with [name_f]Ella[/name_f]'s, [name_f]Emma[/name_f]'s, etc. I agree [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] will gain more popularity but I don’t see it making it into the Top 10 or anything.

I know an [name_f]Etta[/name_f] my age, mid twenties. It is a lovely name, and I know she gets countless compliments on it. She is the only one I have ever met. I have never heard it as a nn either. It definitely can stand on its own.

I knows it’s similar in a way to [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], etc. But I think [name_f]Etta[/name_f] will not be super popular like them. I’d check your local charts, but it isn’t a name you hear of often. [name_f]Etta[/name_f] also ages better than [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], etc.

I love the name [name_f]Colette[/name_f], and my husband and me were considering this name with either the nn [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] or [name_f]Etta[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

[name_m]Add[/name_m] on…
Yes, [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] most likely will skyrocket a bit. But so did [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], and other Disney character names. Still is a gorgeous name. One of my favorite [name_f]Elle[/name_f] names.

I think the popularity of [name_f]Ella[/name_f] & [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] will go up more than Etta.
I also think it is great on it’s own! Etta has always been a favorite of mine!
Another option is a “2 name” name… EX. Etta-[name_u]Rae[/name_u], Etta-[name_f]Mae[/name_f]… but that is a preferred type of style.

I get what you are saying about [name_f]Etta[/name_f]. It’s beautiful, fun and spunky. It is also really short (I tend to like names that have 5 or more letters and everything else feels incomplete - probably because I grew up with a 9 letter name and my entire family has longer names). But honestly I think [name_f]Etta[/name_f] can stand alone. It fits perfectly into the shorter E names trend like [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f] etc. If this is the name the two of you love I’d use it. And honestly, if it still really bothers you in a year it’s not that odd to choose something longer that [name_f]Etta[/name_f] could be a nn for as a more formal version. (Not that I recommend constant name changes but I did want to point it out if it were to help ease your mind).

I assume you have also considered non-[name_f]Etta[/name_f] longer names that [name_f]Etta[/name_f] could be a nn for? Like [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Anet[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Cricket[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f], [name_u]Yvet[/name_u], [name_f]Violet[/name_f] etc. If it’s too much of a stretch with an A and you are open to an A middle name that could help solve the problem.

Otherwise: [name_m]How[/name_m] about names that start with E- contain a -t- and end in -a? [name_f]Editta[/name_f], [name_f]Electra[/name_f]/[name_f]Elettra[/name_f], (Y)Ekathrina, [name_f]Elisabeta[/name_f], [name_f]Elthia[/name_f], [name_f]Ernesta[/name_f], [name_f]Estera[/name_f], [name_f]Etna[/name_f], [name_f]Eustasia[/name_f], [name_f]Evangelista[/name_f], [name_f]Evita[/name_f], [name_f]Esperanta[/name_f], [name_f]Etana[/name_f]… there are dozens more I didn’t want to list if you really weren’t interested but I did want to give you a taste of what could be out there.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this response helps some what.

Thanks for the replies everyone - glad to see that [name_f]Etta[/name_f] is so well received as a standalone.

We are still a little concerned that it may become too popular along the lines of [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f], but at the same time this could happen to any name.

[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is for sure going to skyrocket… not only is the movie smashing all kinds of records, but [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is everyone’s favorite character AND the name is totally on-trend. So, with [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], and [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] all in uber-popular territory, I think [name_f]Etta[/name_f] will get dragged along, in the way that the popularity of [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is dragging [name_f]Ada[/name_f] along.

I love [name_f]Etta[/name_f]! It’s no less substantial than [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and lots of other names.

For longer forms, it could be any names ending in ette/et, not just -etta. [name_f]Colette[/name_f], [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] etc.