Too Similar?

Are [name]Dominic[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name] too similar for brothers? I have loved [name]Dominic[/name] for a long time and it is not going anywhere, but I have recently taken a shine to [name]Nicholas[/name]. I am just curious if you think they are too similar or would work well together.

I think its ok unless both of them wanted to go by [name]Nick[/name], then you might have a problem :wink: I prefer [name]Nicholas[/name] as a middle name but that is just personal preference.

[name]Both[/name] names were once on my top list. I am looking for more middle names so they are off for now. I too had thought of using both names in one sibset, but I think they’re too similar. Also, I like [name]Nic[/name] as a nickname for [name]Dominic[/name] which would be plain confusing if he has a brother named [name]Nicholas[/name].

I think it could only work if you had a [name]Nick[/name] and a [name]Dom[/name].

Nope! I think they’re fine, and I like the nic connection. The name [name]Dominic[/name] doesn’t even a need a nickname. I work in a daycare, and we have a preschool named [name]Dominic[/name] and he’s only ever called that. It never even occurred to me to call him by a nickname, and I’m big on nicknames.

I think it’s fine, as long as you insist on different nicknames. Like [name]Dom[/name] for [name]Dominic[/name] and [name]Nick[/name]/[name]Nico[/name]/[name]Cole[/name] for [name]Nicholas[/name], or [name]Nick[/name]/[name]Nico[/name] for [name]Dominic[/name] and [name]Cole[/name] for [name]Nicholas[/name], you know? As long as they’re both not [name]Nick[/name]/[name]Nico[/name], you’re fine. :slight_smile:

I agree that [name]Nicolas[/name]/[name]Dominic[/name] would be a fine sib set if they had different nicknames…[name]Dom[/name] or [name]Nick[/name]/[name]Cole[/name] ideally. I don’t think you’d want to let [name]Dominic[/name] go by [name]Nic[/name], even if [name]Nicolas[/name] was going by [name]Cole[/name], because it could get confusing.

Very fitting sibling names, [name]IMO[/name], and whether they have nn would be your preference. Of course, you wouldn’t call them both [name]Nic[/name], so they work!

Thanks ladies!!! [name]Dominic[/name] would definitely go by [name]Dom[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name] would go by [name]Nick[/name] :slight_smile:

I personally think that they are too similar… I like both names alot! and both are on my list… BUT if i name the next one [name]Dominic[/name] I wouldnt name a third [name]Nicholas[/name]… even with [name]Dom[/name] and [name]Nick[/name] as nn’s… but thats just me… I dont hate it as a sibset but i wouldnt do it!

I also think they’re too close. Especially if they’re called [name]Dom[/name] and [name]Nick[/name]. [name]Imagine[/name] calling them to the table for supper. If you say it quickly, it actually just sounds like you’re saying “[name]Dominic[/name]”, instead of “[name]Dom[/name] and [name]Nick[/name]”.

I think they’re too similar, really. Though to be fair, I wouldn’t choose any names with repetitive sounds or alliteration, because I don’t personally like the idea of “themed” naming, which combinations like this come across as.

You also can’t know what your kid would choose to go by in the long run, re:

You may plan nicknames, but they don’t always go the way you intend. Of course, if [name]Dominic[/name] already has a brother who goes by [name]Nick[/name], he’d have to be smart-alecky or defiant to try to also go by [name]Nick[/name] (we all know those are two qualities that kids NEEEEEVER show :wink: ). Chances are that your kids would comment on it at some point, at the very least!