Too similar??

So my eldest child is named [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]- it was always my favourite name growing up and I didn’t care too much about it’s popularity. She definitely has the most common name of all my children but we call her [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] and it suits her perfectly.
I have had a really hard time deciding on a name for my fourth child (third daughter) who is due in [name_f]February[/name_f], but I often find myself coming back to [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. We would call her Sybbie. I had never really thought about it before as when I say the names of my children together, I say them in age order so there are two names between [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]…but now I’m worried, because of the ‘sabelle’ sound, are they too similar???

I personally think they are too close.

They are a bit close but I don’t think it’s too bad. [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] and Sybbie are lovely together, and I’m guessing that’s what they’d be called 90% of the time anyway. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if people talk or think about your children together, chances are they’d probably list the names in age order, so there’d be a big gap between [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. I don’t think it’s a deal-breaker, and [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]'s a nice quirky choice :slight_smile:

I think they are too close :frowning:

I’d be curious to know the two names that would be between [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], because I could see that making a difference. If you just had [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] I’d say [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] was too similar to it, but if the other names are totally different, I could maybe see it working?

Also, [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] and Sybbie still sound pretty similar to me - like if you yelled one across a playground, I don’t know that it would be clear which child you were calling. Would you consider using [name_u]Billie[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] instead of Sybbie?

Middle two nn are [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] and [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]. I’ll be honest, my kids barely know their birth certificate names as we are big nick namers. The older two also get called their nn at school etc and my son would have absolute no clue what his full first name is as he isn’t called it by anyone. [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] would most definitely be known by her nn. [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is a cute option, I’m slightly put off by how popular it is for boys though- shouting it in the playground is still gonna get numerous responses!
I was really hoping everyone would say they are different enough but looks like I’m back to the drawing board!

They’re too close for me.

Does [name_f]Sibylla[/name_f] solve the problem? Or still too close?

\

I still feel like they are very close :frowning:

Honestly I dont think they are too close.

Personally I don’t think they are too close. I definitely think you could use both.

I didn’t even think about it until I saw a comment on another site that said ‘sybil sounds like [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], but incomplete’. My husband doesn’t think they are alike at all. I’m torn because I do hear a similarity since it was bought to my attention, but I maybe wouldn’t have thought about it had I not read that.

At the end of the day I say if you love it and your husband love it, go for it, despite what anyone thinks :slight_smile: I doubt when your daughters grow up they will be introduced at the same time very often anyway! I never say ‘[name_m]Hi[/name_m] I am {insert name} I have a brother named {insert name}’

[name_m]Way[/name_m] too close in my opinion. My initial reaction was a slight cringe.

My husband doesn’t love it as much as I do, but he gives me the final word (as long as it’s not a vetoed name) as I have to give birth! I’m torn. I do love it, but maybe I have to keep searching for ‘the one’! On a side note, I’ve met TWO sets of girl twins in the last couple of years named [name_u]Skye[/name_u] and [name_u]Skylar[/name_u]. Now THAT is a ridiculous and makes me roll my eyes! Lol

I hear similarity, but they seem distinct enough that I’d say go for it! Or am I pronouncing the names wrong?
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]=Is-a-bell
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]=[name_f]Sib[/name_f]-ill

I’ve met twins names [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] and [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f], sisters names [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] and [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], brothers named [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] and [name_u]Skyler[/name_u]…I agree with other posters, the name will be specific for each daughter for her life and she’ll rarely be using it in conjunction with her sister’s in most every day situations. And if you love the name, that should be the topper!

Besides, is it so bad if you call the name of one kid on the playground and both come running? Sounds like a time saver to me!

They are too close.

I think that they are wonderful together, both more old fashioned, but different in length and popularity. [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] is a cute nickname that sounds good with Sybee. Personally I think you should go for it.