Too similar?

I have a [name_f]Miranda[/name_f], is [name_f]Mary[/name_f] too similar? There is a sibling in between if that helps! And an older sibling, both of whom do not have M names.
If too similar, can you suggest names with a similar vibe to [name_f]Mary[/name_f]?
Also, my husband likes [name_f]Elvia[/name_f], but I can’t find much info about it and I think it might sound too lord of the rings-esque with our last name (large black bird, starts with R) Thoughts?
Ugh, this is SO hard.
Thanks in advance for your comments and advice!

yes, it’s too similar.

I think if there’s another sibling with a dissimilar name then [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] are too close. Arguably [name_f]Mary[/name_f] could be a nickname for [name_f]Miranda[/name_f].
[name_f]Elvia[/name_f] sounds sort of mythical with your last name.
Names similar to [name_f]Mary[/name_f] for me:
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] - may be too similar to [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] as well
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]

Some nice Ms: [name_f]Marcy[/name_f], [name_f]Marcia[/name_f], [name_f]Mara[/name_f], [name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f].

Others: [name_f]Erin[/name_f], [name_f]Adelle[/name_f], Aimée or [name_f]Amada[/name_f], [name_f]Amira[/name_f], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps!

I think some scholars argue that [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] is a variation of [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. In which case I do think they are too similar.

I’m not sure what you mean with names that have a similar vibe to [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. What about the name appeals to you? The simplicity? [name_m]How[/name_m] traditional it is? It’s biblical roots? I’ll give it a try thought:
[name_f]Simplicity[/name_f]: [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f]
Traditional: [name_f]Irene[/name_f], [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
Biblical: [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Rachel[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] and [name_f]Rebeca[/name_f] together as well as [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] and [name_f]Irene[/name_f]!

Interesting! I thought that [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] was a creation of Shakepeare’s and I’ve never heard the [name_f]Mary[/name_f] derivative theory.
I’m also intrigued by some of the suggestions, while I love them, they feel [name_m]WAY[/name_m] closer to [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] to me. I adore [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], but I think that is very close to [name_f]Miranda[/name_f]. I also love [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], but with an ‘r’ sound in there and three syllables, I think that’s super close.
The main issue I’m having is loving what I’ve always loved! My first daughter is [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]…[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] was a top pick of mine, but it’s too close. Also ruled out [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].My son is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], so that ruled out my interest in the name [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] and I also [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Edith[/name_f], but the [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m] connection is a bit much for me (don’t want to give siblings husband and wife names). I think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] would be a breath of fresh air on a baby girl (not interested in it for religious or biblical reasons) but seems to close to [name_f]Miranda[/name_f]. The one name I love that doesn’t have any issues with it is [name_f]Delta[/name_f], but I’m really not sure if that fits with the sibset!
Middle names are [name_f]Amina[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and [name_m]William[/name_m]…so that rules out a few more!
Any more ideas? [name_u]Baby[/name_u] will be here soon and I’m so confused!
Thanks! :slight_smile:

I do think [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] are too similar. They are not related but still feel too close to me.

[name_f]Miranda[/name_f] was on my short list for [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]. These were the other names on that list:
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]

These are similar in style to your children:
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] / [name_f]Gabriela[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]