Top 20 in Holland

I decided to see what the most popular names in [name]Holland[/name] are at the moment and I found this top 20 list on the internet. I wonder what you guys think of the Dutch version of the top 20. :wink:

Boys

1. [name]Daan[/name]
  2. [name]Sem[/name]
  3. [name]Ruben[/name]
  4. [name]Lars[/name]
  5. [name]Thomas[/name]
  6. [name]Lucas[/name]
  7. [name]Tim[/name]
  8. [name]Jesse[/name]
  9. [name]Jayden[/name]
  10. [name]Milan[/name]
  11. [name]Thijs[/name]
  12. [name]Finn[/name]
  13. [name]Sven[/name]
  14. [name]Stijn[/name]
  15. Luuk
  16. [name]Levi[/name]
  17. [name]Bram[/name]
  18. [name]Julian[/name]
  19. Gijs
  20. [name]Jan[/name]
    I donā€t think any of the names are pronounced the way you think it should be pronounced, except maybe for [name]Jayden[/name] and [name]Finn[/name]. Only [name]Sem[/name] is pronounced like [name]Sam[/name] is in English so that one makes sense. But even [name]Levi[/name] is pronounced differently. Itā€s [name]Lay[/name]-Vee instead of Leh-Vee. And for instance [name]Jesse[/name] is not [name]Jess[/name]-See but Yes-uh/Yes-suh.

Girls.

1. [name]Emma[/name]
  2. [name]Sophie[/name]
  3. [name]Julia[/name]
  4. Lieke
  5. [name]Lisa[/name]
  6. [name]Lotte[/name]
  7. [name]Eva[/name]
  8. [name]Anna[/name]
  9. [name]Sanne[/name]
  10. [name]Noa[/name]
  11. Jasmijn
  12. [name]Anne[/name]
  13. [name]Isa[/name]
  14. [name]Sara[/name]
  15. Femke
  16. [name]Amber[/name]
  17. [name]Tess[/name]
  18. [name]Britt[/name]
  19. [name]Anouk[/name]
  20. [name]Fleur[/name]

Same here, most of the names are pronounced different than the American versions, except for [name]Emma[/name]. Some names are similar like [name]Sophie[/name], but in English itā€s more pronounced like Sow-fee, and in Dutch both parts are pronounced shorter, more like So-FEEH. [name]Eva[/name] is pronounced like [name]Ava[/name].

Let me know what you think of these names and just ask away if you want to know a pronounciation of a name! :smiley:

I have never heard levi pronounced Leh-vee. Iā€™ve only ever heard it pronounced [name]Lee[/name]-vie.

[name]Thijs[/name] - Ohhh I was already trying to figure out a word that has the ā€˜ijā€™ sound in it because I was sure someone was going to ask for it haha. On the internet I found a thing that says ā€˜names that sound like [name]Thijs[/name]ā€™ and thereā€™s apparently an Irish name ā€˜Teigeā€™ but I think itā€™s pronounced Teidjz (well something like that :P) and [name]Thijs[/name] is more pronounced like Teis. =) The h is silent, so it doesnā€™t have that typical ā€˜thā€™ sound. :wink: [name]Just[/name] like [name]Thomas[/name] in Dutch, itā€™s pronounced with just a T, no TH. I hope that was a bit helpful.

Apparently itā€™s an Hebrew name and in English itā€™s a short form of [name]Matthew[/name] (In Dutch itā€™s a short form of Mathijs)

And I think itā€™s cool that you said [name]Bram[/name] is a fun name! Itā€™s such a typical Dutch name haha. :wink: Prn. BRAEM

I kinda like the name [name]Julian[/name] too. Everytime I see it on nameberry I fall in love again because names I read on nameberry I pronounce them with the English pronounciation. I like ā€˜Djoelianā€™ better than ā€˜Yulianā€™ :wink: So if I wanted to use that one for my future son Iā€™d have to move to an English speaking country first. :wink:

I also love the names [name]Anna[/name] and [name]Anne[/name], they are simple and classic. I also love the name [name]Fleur[/name], I also love Floor, too bad itā€™s an actual word in English tho, because itā€™s so cute! I know a girl whose name is [name]Anne[/name]-[name]Fleur[/name] ([name]Anne[/name] is pronounced with 2 syllables here, [name]Ann[/name]-nuh). [name]Anne[/name] can be put in front of a lot of names, I have often heard of people called [name]Anne[/name]-[name]Fleur[/name], [name]Anne[/name]-Roos (Roos=[name]Rose[/name]), [name]Anne[/name]-[name]Kirsten[/name], [name]Anne[/name]-[name]Marie[/name], Annemiek (my best friend! [name]Ann[/name]-nuh-meek).

(Whoops, sorry this turned out to be such a long post!)

Whoops, sorry! I also know it pronounced as [name]Lee[/name]-vie. I was thinking in Dutch and English at the same time, which didnā€™t really work out here. :wink: The [name]Lee[/name]-vie pronounciation is still different from the [name]Lay[/name]-vee one in Dutch tho. :wink:

My favorite boys from this are [name]Ruben[/name] and [name]Julian[/name]. For girls [name]Noa[/name]. I actually started coming across this name and Iā€™m trying to figure out if it will fit. I donā€™t think my husband would like it.

Iā€™m also fascinated by [name]Noa[/name] - I liked [name]Noah[/name] until it became so popular for boys, and now I am looking at unisex names, so [name]Noa[/name] might be perfect. I love hearing that itā€™s normal in other countries (also in [name]Israel[/name], apparently) so itā€™s out of the ā€œmade upā€ or ā€œyooneek spellingā€ territories.

To the OP - thank you, that list is great! SO interesting, especially the boys. Is [name]Milan[/name] literally a place name, or does it mean something else in Dutch? [name]Thijs[/name] is also popular in Afrikaans (I grew up in South [name]Africa[/name]) but it was usually spelt ā€œThysā€. I also find it fascinating how the boys list is quite different, but the girls has a lot more crossover with the UK and US lists.

For the longest time my favorite girls name was [name]Noa[/name], I love it a lot!

I love [name]Noa[/name] a lot! I donā€™t see it as a unisex name tho, for some reason. Probably because [name]Noa[/name] for a girl is popular here in [name]Holland[/name], but [name]Noah[/name] for a boy is not.

Iā€™ve read that [name]Milan[/name] is a Slavic name, itā€™s short for Miroslaw, but I believe that it became popular here in [name]Holland[/name] after it was used on our most popular soap opera. :wink:

[name]Thijs[/name] can also be spelled Thys here, we pronounce the Y as an ij or as an ie/ee sound, it depends on the name/word. :wink:

I love the look of [name]Isa[/name] ā€¦ is that pronounced eye-ssa (soft ā€˜sā€™) or eye-za (hard ā€˜sā€™)?

Thank you for this; itā€™s so interesting to see what names are popular in other countries!

I like [name]Bram[/name] and [name]Julian[/name] for boys, as well as maybe [name]Ruben[/name], but not as much as the other twoā€¦
Of the girls, my favourite is definitely [name]Anouk[/name], which Iā€™ve loved since I first saw the film ā€œChocolatā€ ^^ I also like Lieke, [name]Noa[/name] and [name]Isa[/name], [name]Noa[/name] in particularā€¦ And the Dutch version of [name]Rose[/name], Roos, and I think [name]Saskia[/name] is Dutch as well? I really like her too, although Roos and [name]Saskia[/name] are not on the listā€¦ I think Dutch names are spunky! The sounds are a bit awkward and less melodious than many English names, but I think it adds some variety to a name, and I really like that! I can be overwhelmed with the softness of some names, like [name]Leah[/name]. She sounds like a whisper, or someone taking a breathā€¦ Many of the Dutch names have more substance, which I can greatly appreciate!

It sounds more like Ee-sa with a soft s sound. I guess it sounds kind of like [name]Lisa[/name] without the L. :wink: The I is pronounced like a short ā€˜eeā€™ sound in Dutch. I like this name. Though thereā€™s an actress with this name, and I donā€™t really like her. If I didnā€™t know her Iā€™d probably love the name [name]Isa[/name] way more! Isnā€™t it funny how one person can make or break a name?

[name]Anouk[/name] can be spelled in different ways, I know 2 [name]Anouk[/name]'s and one [name]Anouck[/name]. :slight_smile: You know I didnā€™t even notice it before you said it that Roos isnā€™t on the list for girls. That surprises me. Not that I know any little girls named Roos, but it just seems like one of those names thatā€™s always around. Yes [name]Saskia[/name] is a Dutch name as well, but itā€™s kind of dated, itā€™s still okay to give that name to a little girl, but itā€™s mostly people my age (19) and older who are named [name]Saskia[/name].

I think so too that English words sound more melodious. In Dutch we have a lot of harsh sounding sounds. Like the G, itā€™s that kind of back in the throat sound that not a lot of languages have. I like it though! :smiley:

[name]Tamara[/name], I was surprised at Roos not being on the listā€¦ I was sure she would be there!

Iā€™m Norwegian, so Iā€™m very aware of the ā€œlackā€ of harsh sounds in the English language, since there are so many sounds Iā€™m used to in my language that just arenā€™t there in Englishā€¦ Iā€™m also OK in [name]German[/name] and know more Spanish than the average Norwegian, so Iā€™m very aware of differences in soundsā€¦ We also have a LOT more vowel sounds in Norwegian, and that makes it really hard for me to understand how for example [name]Madelyn[/name] and [name]Madeline[/name] can be pronounced the same wayā€¦
Sometimes when I speak English a lot, I miss the harsh sounds, but English is still my favourite language because of all the possibilities with the 1 000 000 words! Norwegian has 300 000, but many of them are importedā€¦ English is full of opportunities and I have to admit I love that ^^

It sounds more like Ee-sa with a soft s sound. I guess it sounds kind of like [name]Lisa[/name] without the L. :wink: The I is pronounced like a short ā€˜eeā€™ sound in Dutch. I like this name. Though thereā€™s an actress with this name, and I donā€™t really like her. If I didnā€™t know her Iā€™d probably love the name [name]Isa[/name] way more! Isnā€™t it funny how one person can make or break a name?[/quote]

Oh, I really like it!

Yes, it is unfortunate how one bad connotation can ruin a name ā€¦ even namesakes you donā€™t know personally - I think [name]Lolita[/name] would be such a perfect name, if it hadnā€™t been for the book :frowning:

Iā€™m English, and I love melodious names, but I also like clunkier ones like Ermengarde, too (I speak [name]German[/name], so this might have affected the names I like ā€¦). I adore [name]Anouk[/name], as well - it has such a satisfying sound!

[name]Don[/name]'t get me wrong, I love melodious names ([name]Eulalie[/name], for one), and English is a more ā€œbeautifulā€ name than [name]German[/name] for example (there are other good adjectives to describe [name]German[/name]^^). I just think thereā€™s a special quality and charm to the clunkier namesā€¦ [name]Rosalie[/name] is sweet, but [name]Rosamund[/name] is charming, if that describes the difference ^^ And I absolutely adore Ermengarde! I imagine a little girl with a VERY large hat, so it looks like sheā€™s about to fall over and has trouble keeping her head up, and it just melts my heart for some reason ^^

My favorites

[name]Ruben[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Noa[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] this one! Especially for a girl.

I am really surprised to [name]Lisa[/name] (my name) here and on the the top 20 [name]France[/name] list.

Scrambled my name is [name]Isla[/name] and I know thatā€™s a popular one here.

[name]NOA[/name] is great - the first time I have heard of it for a girl, but with so many of us being enthusiastic about it, it will probably end up overused in five years time!

I remember reading The Girl with the [name]Pearl[/name] Earring and liking the name Griet ([name]GREET[/name]) and also Vermeerā€™s daughter, [name]Cornelia[/name].

Could you give me your opinions of my favorite dutch names (how popular they are, etc.
[name]Doutzen[/name]
Ymre
Lonneke
[name]Iekeliene[/name]

thanks!! :slight_smile:

Oops I just saw that question, two months lateā€¦ sorry!

But those are the names of four Dutch top models haha. They are no where near the top 100 Iā€™d guess. They arenā€™t very popular. I think [name]Doutzen[/name] might get more popular now that the model [name]Doutzen[/name] Kroes is getting more popular. Lonneke is also not unheard of but not very popular. But Ymre and [name]Iekeliene[/name] are kind of rare names. :wink:

The names of two other Dutch topmodels [name]Bette[/name] (Franke - pronounced [name]Bet[/name]-tuh) and [name]Kim[/name] (Noorda) are much more popular!