Top 5 Ruined!!

So, I have been really pleased with myself lately since I actually have a top 5 for girls and boys that I was reasonably happy with.

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] has always been number 1, but [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] was suggested by my husband and I loved it almost as much because he hardly suggests anything, and it’s a gorgeous combo!

Anyway, my mum is getting remarried and her new husband’s daughters name is [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]! I’m so annoyed, because we are specifically trying to find first and middle names that we don’t know anyone with the same name and this just seems a bit close!! I’m extra annoyed because this was my husband’s fantastic contribution to my list :frowning:

I know I’m really just venting, so sorry for the essay! But if you can suggest any sweet names similar to [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], that would make me feel better :slight_smile: hubby also suggested [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], but unfortunately that was the family dog’s name.

Thanks for listening to my rant!

What about you change the order in the combo? [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] sounds good for me. What about [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]?

Well, you could switch it to [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] as suggested by @Marielaie or you could go for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]/[name_f]Elanor[/name_f] [name_f]Sofia[/name_f].

You could also play with your combos some more. I like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f], and [name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f].

All due respect, but with [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] being the most popular girls’ name in the US for three years running, and in the top three before that, what do you expect? I know a tonne of Sophies, kids to grown women. You should get used to hearing it, if you plan to use it.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]? [name_f]Bianca[/name_f]? [name_f]Samia[/name_f]? [name_f]Samara[/name_f]? [name_f]Sorcha[/name_f]?

I also really like [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] from your list.

Eleanor Sophia is on my own list, so I second that notion!

Names similar to Sophie though:

Daisy
Amelia
Poppy
Charlotte
Elsie
Emily
Evelyn
Florence
Felicity
Harriet
Matilda
Imogen
Lily
Lola
Maisie
Millie
Martha
Tilly
Olivia
Violet
Isla
Gemma
Georgia
Mollie
Lyla/Lila
Layla
Holly
Faith
Summer
Evie
Mia
Ella
Savannah
Megan
Jasmine
Amy/Aimee
Phoebe
Alice
Leah
Zoe
Grace
Lydia
Rose
Nicola
Anna
Darcy/Darcey/Darcie
Scarlett
Ruby
Sienna
Liberty
Gracie
Mila
Annie
Claire
Bryony
Zara
Saskia
Annabelle
Sylvie
Nancy
Hazel
Clara
Eva
Esme
Ottilie
Ava
Isabelle
Freya
Isabella
Sophia
Chloe
Rosie
Ellie
Lexie
Abigail
Abbie
Amelie
Bella
Ivy
Eloise
Katie
Libby
Orla
Sadie
Betsy
Connie
Laura
Natalie
Audrey
Stella
Willow
Tiana

Hopefully this helps!

I’m not sure if you noticed or not, but the OP’s location is listed as Australia, so American data/input on popularity is a bit redundant!

By the looks of it, throughout all of Australia, Sophia is 17th, (though, this is from 2012, I haven’t found 2013 data yet) and Sophie is #5, however, that really is only a guideline to what you may hear regionally. In the Canadian list, you’ll find Florence, Beatrice, Alice, Maude and McKenna, however, I’ve volunteered/worked in a couple of schools/daycare centres in my area, and when I was in a childcare program, my classmates and I often discussed the first names we came across - I’ve still yet to meet or hear of a Canadian little Florence, Beatrice, Alice or Maude! In my area, names like Charlotte, Nathan, Isabelle and Charles are popular - the highest national ranking of these is Nathan, at #3. It all depends on the area you live in, really, especially in smaller countries!

I adore [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] as a sibling set. I personally would still hold onto [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]. Her and you might love to have another [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] in the family. She might end up moving away. All kinds of things could happen.

Names I feel have a similar feeling as [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and goes well with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] -

[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Tillie[/name_f]
[name_f]Hettie[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]

I agree with the suggestion of using [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]. I think that combination flows better and is prettier too. I disagree with the above poster who said you should still hold on to [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. Given that this new [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] will be your step-sister, I think the name is an immediate no-go in the first name slot.

There are many families, mine included, that have shared names. No one has ever taken issue to it. The only place I have heard people take issue of it is on baby name forums. A name does not need to be automatically dumped because of this situation.

What about [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]? That has a similar feel to me and a really cute combination.

[name_f]Sadie[/name_f] [name_f]Carlotta[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_f]Odette[/name_f]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f] [name_f]Corrine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] [name_f]Wendeline[/name_f]

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlet[/name_f]
[name_f]Lara[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f] or [name_f]Coralie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonie[/name_f]

I love the suggestions of [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f].

Thanks for your kind thoughts! This is only the second [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] I’ve ever met so I really appreciate you sharing the data. The statistics really can be different for everyone:)

I really loved [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] as sisters too! I’m considering [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] at the moment, and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] would be the first runner up if it wasn’t the family dog’s name! Thank you!

I think others hit it on the head with [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]. And for the record, I’d be disappointed to as I feel [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is a lovely combo!

Suggestions - sorry for any repeats
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]

No problem! I personally only know one [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] in my area, but I know that if you were to venture into a [name_m]French[/name_m] speaking region of [name_f]Canada[/name_f], you’ll likely find dozens. It’s all dependant on the demographic and culture in the area, really!

Unless the name [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is completely tinted for you I think you could still use it? [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you used it the [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] you know would hardly assume it was to honor her!

I like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] a lot. Otherwise these have a similar feel to me;
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Anya[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]

[name_f]Macy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Tawny[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Carrie[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Hallie[/name_f]
[name_f]Danica[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Raina[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Callie[/name_f]
[name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]

What about [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]?

It is quite close, and maintains the same flow and feel of his suggestion, and is inspired by it.
Otherwise [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] or [name_f]Holly[/name_f] might make good alternatives.

Well here are some nickname-y classics: [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Hattie[/name_f], [name_f]Addie[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_u]Kenzie[/name_u], [name_f]Lexy[/name_f]/[name_u]Lexi[/name_u]/[name_u]Lexie[/name_u], [name_f]Lydie[/name_f], [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Lacey[/name_f], [name_f]Lainey[/name_f].