Top Baby Names in Scotland 2019

I know the UK wide statistics make the rounds here often, but I’m always particularly interested in the Scottish national statistics (because it’s where I live, and because I like seeing the differences between Scotland and the rest of the UK!)

Here’s the full list of baby names in Scotland in 2019 & here is the top 100 - I’d be really curious to hear what everyone thinks about the top 100 and which ones are everyone’s most/least favourite.

Out of the boy names, I especially love Brodie, and I think it’s cool that Angus and Hamish have continued to be popular. From the girls’ list, Isla, Skye, and Bonnie just make me happy.

4 Likes

I’m so sad that [name_m]Angus[/name_m] is so popular because I love it. But I’m also glad that people there appreciate it!
I didn’t expect [name_f]Millie[/name_f] and [name_f]Erin[/name_f] to be so popular!

1 Like

Erin took me by surprise too - it seems to be one of those timeless classics here (and in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] too, I’d imagine). Before recently starting to come across Erins of all ages, I kinda had the impression that it was a bit of a 90s name, although I’m not sure where I got that impression from in the first place. (Maybe from [name_m]Derry[/name_m] Girls? Probably from [name_m]Derry[/name_m] Girls…)

1 Like

Thank you! I was actually going to be looking for this yesterday actually lol (I have a character who lives in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f]).

1 Like

That’s cool! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] you find the perfect name.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Angus[/name_m]! I really like [name_m]Arran[/name_m], [name_u]Blair[/name_u] and [name_m]Innes[/name_m] from the boys list as well. I didn’t know [name_f]Iona[/name_f] was so popular, it’s really pretty.

1 Like

Is [name_m]Arran[/name_m] pronounced like [name_m]Aaron[/name_m]? I know it’s the name of an island…

I can’t speak for the Scottish (I’m [name_f]English[/name_f]), but I went to college with an [name_m]Arran[/name_m] and he pronounced it like [name_m]Aaron[/name_m] (ah-ruhn)

1 Like

Ok, all these names are beautiful! Now I wish I lived in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] so my kids could have all these cool names and be friends with other beautifully named kids! [name_f]My[/name_f] absolute favorites from the list (cause if I listed all the ones I liked it would be the whole list and I chose ones that I think are a little less common in the USA so some of my favorite names ever are left out of this) are [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_m]Brodie[/name_m], [name_m]Archie[/name_m], [name_u]Sonny[/name_u], [name_u]Carson[/name_u], [name_u]Murray[/name_u], & [name_u]Cody[/name_u] for the boys! For girls my faves from here are [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Robyn[/name_f], [name_u]Skye[/name_u], [name_f]Hallie[/name_f], [name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_u]Harley[/name_u], & [name_f]Sadie[/name_f]!

This whole list is just :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I always love the Scottish list!

Loving [name_m]Innes[/name_m] (one of my faves :heart_eyes:), [name_m]Fraser[/name_m], [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] and [name_m]Ruaridh[/name_m] from the boys’ list, and [name_f]Iona[/name_f], [name_u]Mirren[/name_u] and [name_f]Ailsa[/name_f] from the girls’.

I LOVE [name_f]Islay[/name_f] spelt like the island, but [name_f]Isla[/name_f] has lost its shine for me now as it’s just so popular around here. I know that’s stupid, because they sound the same, but the Y adds more than just a letter somehow!

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Murray is on there! How cool

1 Like

I’m not super familiar with the name myself, but I assume people pronounce it the same as the island, so like [name_m]Allan[/name_m] with an R.

@sophia_elena You’re making me fall in love with these names all over again! I’ve only lived here 6 years myself, but it’s been enough time to stop noticing how absolutely delightful some of the popular names are.

@katinka I know what you mean - I feel the same way about [name_f]Freya[/name_f], unfortunately. I’ve just seen/heard it too many times at this point. The [name_f]Islay[/name_f] spelling is beautiful but probably less common than [name_f]Isla[/name_f] here because it’s so strongly associated with [name_f]Islay[/name_f] whisky.

2 Likes