Top Ten Names in 1997!

[name]Hi[/name] Everyone :slight_smile:

I’m 12 and in the 7th grade. I have taken data from my yearbook to see how popular names are, and to match up to the most popular names. Here are my results:

1. [name]Michael[/name]: 6 boys 1. [name]Emily[/name]: 4 girls
  2. [name]Jacob[/name]: 4 boys 2. [name]Jessica[/name]: 2 girls
  3. [name]Matthew[/name]: 7 boys 3. [name]Ashley[/name]: 2 girls
  4. [name]Christopher[/name]: 5 boys 4. [name]Sarah[/name]: 3 girls
  5. [name]Joshua[/name]: 1 boy 5. [name]Hannah[/name]: 4 girls
  6. [name]Nicholas[/name]: 2 boys 6. [name]Samantha[/name]: 3 girls
  7. [name]Brandon[/name]: 3 boys 7. [name]Taylor[/name]: 0 girls
  8. [name]Andrew[/name]: 2 boys 8. [name]Alexis[/name]: 0 girls
  9. [name]Austin[/name]: 0 boys 9. [name]Elizabeth[/name]: 1 girl
  10. [name]Tyler[/name]: 5 boys 10. [name]Madison[/name]: 0 girls

Does anything surprise you? Does anything not surprise you? Please comment as you want :slight_smile:

• [name]Stephanie[/name] #23 on the popularity list in 1997 :slight_smile: I have no [name]Stephanie[/name]'s in the 7th Grade, but 1 on my bus who is in 8th grade!

Sorry if it confuses you :confused: I made it spread out when I did it. Now it doesn’t work!

Nicely done, virtualmom! I could still make it out, even though it didn’t quite post the way you intended.

[name]Do[/name] you plan to work with statistics in your future career? Hey, if you should get a job working in the Social Security Administration some day, I hope we can call on you to give us longer names lists than the Top 1000 that the SSA currently gives us! :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work!

– [name]Nephele[/name]

Interesting! I am twelve as well, but where I live most kids have less popular names — lots of hipster parents. :slight_smile:

Brilliant, virtualmom! (I love the way Americans say Mom while we say Mum). Mom conjures up images of white picket fences and cookies and I [name]Love[/name] [name]Lucy[/name].

It is so great to know that there are young ladies of twelve on Nameberry, carrying on this enthusiasm. I am old enough to be your granny! [name]Carry[/name] on with the good work. A very interesting survey.

Thanks for posting this. I’m always curious as to what trends are out there.

So it seems like you have a lot of [name]Matthew[/name]'s, [name]Michael[/name]'s, [name]Christoper[/name]'s and [name]Tyler[/name]'s.
I am surprised that [name]Matthew[/name] took the lead I live in [name]California[/name] and hardly hear this name used anymore. My cousin who is in his 30’s is named [name]Matthew[/name]. I knew more [name]Matthew[/name]'s when I was a kid then I do now (I’m also in my 30’s). [name]Tyler[/name] did not surprise me, I have a nephew named [name]Tyler[/name] who is your age and I most [name]Tyler[/name]'s I have heard of are about your age too.

I’m not surprised that you had a lot of [name]Emily[/name]'s but found it interesting that it wasn’t in first place by a land slide. It tied with [name]Hannah[/name], another name I don’t hear to often here. We almost named our second daughter [name]Samantha[/name] which is pretty popular right now at #11 We named her [name]Mia[/name] which is only slightly behind [name]Samantha[/name] at #14.

Wow thanks ladies!! I love names, I have 8 virtual babies, hense my name virtualmom^^ and I use this site and the social security name list so I can name my babies names that are cute, and very old fashioned!

So far the old fashioned name I have named my babies…
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Eben[/name] [name]Cole[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Kate[/name]

If you want to hear all of my babies names, just ask :slight_smile:

Good job! :slight_smile: You are incredibly mature for your age, and I always love reading your posts. (Yours, too, Salifer! I had no idea you’re only 12!) :slight_smile:

That’s a lot of [name]Matthews[/name] in your class! I’m surprised that there aren’t any Taylors or Madisons in there!

I’d love to know your virtual babies’ names. (I think you posted them once, but now I can’t remember them.) :slight_smile:

Have a good night! :slight_smile:

Oh yes, everywhere I go I run into a [name]Michael[/name] or [name]Matthew[/name]. I used to live in [name]Texas[/name], and there will like 3 Madisons in a class of 30 kids. Not here in good 'ol Connecticut!

I have 1 baby in school ([name]Sophie[/name] [name]Belle[/name]) but I won’t name them as they go off.

My virtual babies at my ‘house’…
[name]Ava[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] (33 months)
[name]Kaden[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] (2 1/2 years)
[name]Noah[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] (26 months)
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] (21 months)
[name]Eben[/name] [name]Cole[/name] (15 months)
[name]Kylie[/name] [name]Brooke[/name] (11 months)
[name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Kate[/name] (8 months)
[name]Jude[/name] [name]Caspian[/name] (3 months)

[name]Alexis[/name] [name]Fleur[/name] is on the way :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] want to know where you live - in case there are regional differences.

I picked out my daughter’s name when I was 10. She loves to hear that story. And I’ve found a whole group of women who have done the same thing, but mostly for daughters not sons (don’t know why the gender gap). So don’t be surprised if one of your virtual names ends up on a real person one day.

[name]Love[/name] your virtual babies! Maybe you will have eight real ones some day, and because you check into Nameberry all the time, they will have really great, cool names! I love to hear from youngsters like you, it is refreshing and a really great hobby to have.

That’s so interesting - thanks for posting! It’s refreshing to hear that even though a name is popular in a particular year statistically, a child could go through school without meeting anyone with the same name. And then with another name, the opposite is true. Perhaps it just shows we should pick the names we love and stop worrying about the stats… :slight_smile:
Mind you, when I was 12 my favourite names were [name]Kelly[/name] and [name]Samantha[/name]. I still love [name]Kelly[/name] (but it’s too dated for me) but over the years I met a lot of Samanthas, many of whom I didn’t like. So I am not one of the people who chose my baby names at 12 years old, but probably only because I had such mainstream taste then!

Thank you ladies :slight_smile: I love names a lot, not every 12 year old girl could say that!

I know what you mean! My friends all think I’m weird because I’m so interested in names!

Me too, I feel it’s a good hobby…