I was replying to someone’s post with some word names and thought about how a few of the words would be fitting for a 2020 U.S. baby. Feelings are so intense on all sides of many issues. I think people may want to express how important their beliefs are with their 2020 baby names.

Some parents may want to express their hopes for better lives for their children. Others may want to express their fight for a better world. I think both of these can be positive.

Voting, social justice, elections, COVID, home school - all of these are ripe for word names. I’m thinking some of these might belong in the middle name spot.

How cool would it be to have a name that means “free life”? Well, [name_u]Erkin[/name_u] [name_f]Liv[/name_f] does just that. [name_u]Erkin[/name_u] is pronounced “air-kin” and it’s gender neutral. I think it is a winner for a 2020 baby. What do you think and what names would you add?

In no way do I mean any of this as offensive and I hope it won’t be taken that way.

Change
Join
Vote
Woke
Fight
Fighter
[name_u]Free[/name_u]
[name_u]Freedom[/name_u]
Equal
Equality
[name_u]Truth[/name_u]
Fighter
Intense
Ache
Chill
Roam
Fright
[name_u]Peace[/name_u]
Peaceful
[name_m]Riot[/name_m]
[name_u]Cove[/name_u]
Chilly
Choice
Rave
Rise
[name_f]Hope[/name_f]
Proud
Together
One
[name_f]Unite[/name_f]
United
Elect
[name_u]America[/name_u]
[name_f]Victory[/name_f]
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]
[name_u]Fire[/name_u]
[name_u]Fierce[/name_u]
War
Lives
Matter
Intensity
[name_u]Night[/name_u]
[name_f]Faith[/name_f]
Guide
[name_u]Quest[/name_u]
Merit
Move
Movement
Improve
Protest
Difference
[name_u]Justice[/name_u]
Quality
Rage
Raid
Grade
Teach
Guage
[name_f]Desire[/name_f]
[name_f]Destiny[/name_f]
Find
Founder
[name_f]Fear[/name_f]
[name_u]Fierce[/name_u]
Toll
[name_u]Spark[/name_u]
Real
Reality
[name_u]Erkin[/name_u] (“air-kin”) means “free”
Freed

If someone were considering this route, I would urge them to only use the words that already have usage as names. You don’t want to put a target on your child. You never know where they’ll live, go to school, who they’ll encounter, or how the world will change and you wouldn’t want to put them at risk because of their name. The one thing in their life you can 100% control.

Choosing a controversial, political, or offensive word or statement as their name would be the same as having it tattooed on their forehead as soon as they’re born.

For this reason, I would urge the usage of pre-existing names with positive associations.

Truth, [name_u]Cove[/name_u], [name_f]Hope[/name_f], [name_f]Victory[/name_f], [name_f]Faith[/name_f], [name_u]Quest[/name_u], [name_f]Desire[/name_f], [name_u]Justice[/name_u], [name_u]Grady[/name_u], [name_u]Ember[/name_u], Erikin or [name_f]Destiny[/name_f]. I have heard Merit used as a name, but not by the [name_f]English[/name_f] definition, as a Coptic name. I could see any of these words tattooed on someone and not think twice about their intentions nor would they make me uncomfortable.

And while they are associated with names, I wouldn’t consider [name_u]Free[/name_u]/Freedom, [name_u]Peace[/name_u], [name_f]Unite[/name_f], [name_u]America[/name_u], [name_u]Night[/name_u], [name_u]Spark[/name_u], or [name_u]Fierce[/name_u] because 9 out of 10 people will associate with the words, not consider it a standalone name. I think these words would make better tattoos than names.

Names I would omit due to a negative association would be [name_f]Fear[/name_f], [name_u]Fire[/name_u], and [name_m]Riot[/name_m]. If I saw someone with any of these words tattooed on their body, I would instinctively fear their presence and question their intentions.

You’re not just picking a name, you are giving an identity to a human. Some parents choose to form these identities around honoring loved ones, cultural ties, religion, or positive meanings/associations. And while as a parent there are likely values you plan to instill in that human, you can do it in a way that does not put them at risk or could severely impact their quality of life.