Tori as a name?

What does everyone think of the name [name_f]Tori[/name_f] as a stand alone name without its counterpart [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] (as I personally don’t like [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] too much!)

What names could include the nn [name_f]Tori[/name_f] that isn’t [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]?

I’ve known [name_f]Tori[/name_f]’s who were just [name_f]Tori[/name_f]. I’m with [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] - I’d probably assume it to be a nickname for [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], but I think it’s usable. [name_f]Astoria[/name_f] was a great suggestion!

1 Like

I think it works! I would probably assume it was short for [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], but it stands alone and ages perfectly well - I can easily picture an adult [name_f]Tori[/name_f]!

Love @anon68906791 suggestion of [name_f]Astoria[/name_f] with the nickname [name_f]Tori[/name_f] that’s beautiful.

I think [name_f]Tori[/name_f] would work as a stand-alone name people are called [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], [name_f]Annie[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f] I don’t see why [name_f]Tori[/name_f] couldn’t work. I think people assume that it’s a nickname for [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] but you can soon inform them that’s just [name_f]Tori[/name_f].

1 Like

Personally, I would assume it’s short for [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] or the like… It would be a bit weird for someone to assume your full name off a nn, especially if it doesn’t exist! I also think that with an ‘I’ ending, that gives it sort of a I’m-short-for-something-longer feel that [name_f]Annie[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_u]Rory[/name_u] don’t have.

I found this other thread for ‘[name_f]Tori[/name_f]’ as a nickname:

That’s just my thoughts. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t let me stop you from naming your baby what you want, though.

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Tori[/name_f] is totally fine on it’s own! I don’t immediately assume it to be a nn for [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] when I hear it, so I consider it one of those “independent nicknames” like [name_u]Alex[/name_u] and [name_f]Bella[/name_f].

It could also be short for:

Astoria
[name_u]Story[/name_u]
[name_f]Toria[/name_f]
[name_f]Pretoria[/name_f] (a place in [name_f]England[/name_f], if I’m not mistaken; there’s a song that mentions it too)

Torvi? Possibly which is a Scandinavian name.
I like [name_f]Astoria[/name_f]. That’s a good alternative.

I don’t like it, but [name_f]Tory[/name_f] is slightly better. I prefer Viktoriya/Victoria/Viktoria, with the nn [name_f]Vika[/name_f]. [name_f]Tori[/name_f] could be [name_f]Astoria[/name_f], [name_u]Story[/name_u], [name_f]Toria[/name_f], or Toriana. Maybe even [name_f]Triana[/name_f], but its a stretch. Unfortunately, I’m not keen, it isn’t as solid as [name_f]Elly[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Millie[/name_f] and I don’t think it could stand alone.
xx - [name_f]Aleksandra[/name_f] “[name_f]Aleksa[/name_f]” Y.

I think [name_f]Tori[/name_f] can stand alone.

I’m not so sure about it as a stand alone name. I’d always assume it was short for something. But that being said, it’s not unusable.

The only other name I can think have that could have [name_f]Tori[/name_f] as a nickname is [name_f]Astoria[/name_f].

What about [name_u]Storm[/name_u] with the nickname [name_f]Tori[/name_f]?

Torrance
[name_f]Astoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] (The italian variant)
Toriel

1 Like

It’s fine on its own, but many might assume it is a nickname for [name_f]Victoria[/name_f].