Torn between Finley and Duncan?

See the results of this poll: Duncan vs Finley

Respondents: 38 (This poll is closed)

• Duncan : 21 (55%)
  • Finley : 16 (42%)
  • Go back to the drawing board: 1 (3%)

[name_m]Duncan[/name_m] is a name I’ve always loved! While [name_u]Finley[/name_u] is nice, it is much more common. It is also less special to your family. This is a no brainer to me. Go with the handsome, dashing [name_m]Duncan[/name_m]!

Thanks! [name_u]Finley[/name_u] definitely wasn’t as popular when I first fell in love with it and its popularity has swayed me for sure. Plus, I have a unisex name and absolutely hate it, so I’m trying not to inflict that on my child.

Keep the opinions coming!

Any suggestions for nicknames for [name_m]Duncan[/name_m]?

I really love [name_m]Duncan[/name_m], strong handsome easy to grow into and has lots of meaning for you. [name_m]Finnley[/name_m] really only works for girls these days in my opinion.

I love [name_m]Duncan[/name_m]. For nn’s, I have seen [name_m]Dunc[/name_m], [name_m]Don[/name_m], [name_u]Dune[/name_u]. [name_m]Dun[/name_m]

I might suggest using a nn unrelated to [name_m]Duncan[/name_m], it doesn’t always have to be visibly derived from the fn.

I think we’ll have to go with the unrelated nn strategy. Part of my hesitation with using [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] was the nn [name_m]Dunc[/name_m], I’m not a fan. Hopefully, something comes up that fits our little boy once he’s born.

Thanks for your help!

[name_m]Duncan[/name_m] doesn’t really need a nickname. I would use [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] simply because it’s more meaningful.

While I like [name_u]Finley[/name_u] (although I prefer the [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] spelling), it’s not just that it’s a popular and trendy name right now, it’s that all of the [name_u]Finn[/name_u] names are. I can’t tell you how many little Finns and Finnegans and Phinneus and Finleys we know and of course as you pointed out [name_u]Finley[/name_u] is fast being co-opted by the girls. I’d go with [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] and you can use [name_u]Finley[/name_u] in the middle spot. [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] [name_u]Glen[/name_u] [name_u]Finley[/name_u] sounds nice!

For [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] I wouldn’t worry too much about the nickname. I think people in school, at work, etc. will just call him [name_m]Duncan[/name_m], not [name_m]Dunc[/name_m], since [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] is only two syllables. It’s like [name_m]Connor[/name_m] or [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] - easy to use everyday in its full form and doesn’t really shorten naturally to a nickname.

[name_m]Duncan[/name_m] [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_u]Glen[/name_u]! I really don’t see that nickname being something you would hear often or at all.

[name_m]Duncan[/name_m] is one of my favorites and is on my list to possibly use one day, also a family name for me as well. I think it is more unique and strong-sounding than [name_u]Finley[/name_u] imo.

[name_m]Duncan[/name_m] and [name_u]Finley[/name_u] are both great. however, if the [name_u]Finley[/name_u]-as-a-unisex-name-trend is already bothering you, you may want to let it be as I think it will just get worse. I know a [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] and he just goes by [name_m]Duncan[/name_m]. not sure if his parents have any nicknames for him behind closed doors but he seems to be [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] 100% of the time. I like that it’s different but familiar!